No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally started to make headway into this, starting with Leon's campaign. Managed to complete the entire initial Police Station sequence, it was nice that the puzzle elements feel like they've been stripped down and are now largely solved merely by exploring enough. It's visually very nice for the most part, got the shotgun now which is better but guns still feel 'off'. I definitely prefer my Resi like this over first person though.

Comment

Hardcore mode is no joke. Even with some of the infinite weapons it can be tense stuff. I need to sit down and put into longer words why I love this game so much but to say now, it’s titally brilliant.

Even though I don’t really care for RE3 I really hope they remake it.

Comment

Capcom's done a great job of making familiar enemies scary again (who doesn't get tense when Mr.X is nearby?)

Imagine Jill in the RPD in RE3 but this time you have to deal with an indestructible menace who can burst through windows, sprint after you and has its own weaponry? It might be even more intense.

Its up to Capcom if they proceed with remaking RE3. I want to believe that they're having discussions in meetings about whether to go ahead with it.

Comment

Finally beat the fourth survivor for the platinum. That was tense. You need to be pretty good at route and enemy management and you need some luck I think.

Comment

I'm right at the end of Leon's Campaign and so tonight it should be that then moving on to do Claire's (no interest in the flip campaigns as they were always padding). I'm enjoying it a lot but there is that sniff of the games underlying age about it, I'd still give Resi 4 the nod above it but I have to say, so-so glad the puzzles have been dialled way back.

Comment

I finished Leon's campaign about half an hour back and have gone straight onto Claire's.

It's really, really good. I'm lovin' it, it's fun going back again. If I could name a flaw then it is not as funky fresh or as outlandish or colourful as the original. It plays it very safe. The graphics are incredibly well done but there aren't many bits that truly pop. But that's by the by, it's still brilliant.

As for it showing its age? In a way, that's sorta what we wanted. It really does feel like a maturation of the original and at times actually evokes many feelings of playing that game. I think they did brilliantly in that regard.

Maybe just needed a touch more crazy magic, maybe? I have to say, as much as I adore this, I'm still preferring the Evil Within games, I think they offer a vintage survival horror gusto this maybe needed an injection of.

But 8.9/10, they did a most excellent job of it!

Comment

Capcom really should be applauded for what they have achieved here. RE2 was always my favourite of the series, and this Remake is one huge, long love letter to it. Couldn't be more pleased.

I am now hoping that Konami see the response Capcom have had putting a lot of care and attention into this, and do the same with Silent Hill 1.

Comment

Noticing Claire's is more survive-y. Hating her horrible gun. Wish each zombie had a titchy-witchy sweet spot in their face, somewhere quite difficult to hit, where you could pop their heads. One un-fun thing about this is the weak ammo at the start, I'd use the bloody knife more if it didn't snap so easy...

Comment

Maybe it was just tiredness but the Lab area is the weakest of the game so far, grinds things needlessly down ferreting around.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      Maybe it was just tiredness but the Lab area is the weakest of the game so far, grinds things needlessly down ferreting around.
                      Blasting the plantbies with the flamethrower saved this part for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        Seems to be a bit of a staple of Resident Evils. They seems to lose pace towards the end quarter. The original Resident Evil kind of loses its way once you hit the lab area and Resi 7 feels lost once you leave the house behind and enter the ship.

Comment

Resi 7's ship section was heavily reminiscent of Revelations. I'm one who didn't mind the bit too much but found it totally skewed the pacing of the game.

As for the Ivy creatures in Resi 2? You can burn them to a crisp when you down them. However, I only found that out once I'd changed the water sprinkler thang. They just kept regenerating. As I didn't fully cook one before I changed the sprinkler, I don't know if that has any influence on their way of disposal? I actually rather enjoyed the sense of flammability, I like the flamer in this game, wish it could be used more often, it's one of the funnest weapons!

Comment

Yeah, I used it quite a bit ... especially effective in a couple of boss encounters. Very satisfying.

Comment

Managed to make good progress last night, finished Leon's campaign and am about a third of the way through Claire's I think - just getting into the Car Park section. Much, much faster second run through thanks to knowing the ropes and layouts but it felt like Mr X is much more annoying and placed just to drag things out as you're forced to go around the woods. Got trapped in the Art Room with a puzzle, item to collect, Licker and him and had to absolutely bomb it and heal up to deal with that one. I'm finding the second run a little irritating to be honest because it doesn't sync up with the first run at all, Claire repeating objectives and enemies that Leon had already cleared so there should be signs of his presence, and so far it's largely barely any different than replaying the same campaign with a different costume. I'll definitely have zero interest in further playthroughs after this one.

Comment

For some reason, my second run thru with Claire is proving a bit fiddly, Tyrant now plodding around and I've only got the first two pea shooters and they feel well crap and unsatisfying so I haven't gone back to it in a coupla days, put me off a bit. I'm looking forward to that machine gun, tho, so all is not lost...

Comment

Working...
                                X