Resident Evil 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
    For some reason, my second run thru with Claire is proving a bit fiddly, Tyrant now plodding around and I've only got the first two pea shooters and they feel well crap and unsatisfying so I haven't gone back to it in a coupla days, put me off a bit. I'm looking forward to that machine gun, tho, so all is not lost...
    Exactly. This is why I said the Tyrant was a pain in the arse adding no fun to the game at all. He was just annoying when playing as Claire.
    One thing that puzzled me is that I completed the second run using Claire, had a million grenade launcher ammo types but didn't fine the actual grenade launcher in the game apart for at the final boss. Or was that a bazooka? Is there a new game + option that allows you to start a game with all the items from the previous game? From what I can see there isn't. Only a continue or start a new game loosing everything previously collected.

Comment

Funnily enough, about 40mins after I'd posted that post, I went to the top deck, found the Spade key, opened the house right up, got all three medallions. And then hung around the secret doorway in the central hub, luring the Tyrant, who could have quite easily walked down the steps into the save room with me and squished my brains...but didn't...he's either too polite or has an invisible wall preventing him from descending this particularly roomy staircase. It's funny in that meta, gamey way.

Now I'm past that bit, I'm a bit happier. And I'm noticing how beautiful the gfx even are on this 'unexpanded' Xbox One. This is a serious, serious quantum leap in visuals. It's mind-boggling, especially when you see how munt the cutscenes in the orig Resi 2 actually look these days!

But there are deffo missing energies, it's not quite as much of a joy to replay. Like I said, that crazy vim, the gusto. It's not quite there yet but if they retain the formula for Resi 3make and crazy it up, mix up the ammo crafting and add more contentz, 't will be a banger.

Comment

I think I know what it is. The lack of dynamic camera angles, the set vision, the prerendered backgrounds. Basically, this is a 3rd person shooter and the mood is ultimately defined by the player as they are in control of the camera.

One wonders if an extra mode could be added to this to recreate the old experience. I reckon the graphics are so strong it would benefit. It would be nice to only see what the scene wants you to see.

But at the same time, it's SOOOOO GREEEEEAT. Amazing, even.

Wow, it's a twister of teh melonz

Comment

One thing I found is, once you get the medallions and you descend in the lift, go back up and Mr X will be gone. You'll be free to go round the police station unhindered by him.

Comment

I got the grenade launcher which made a difference with Claire, it's pretty much the same set up with Leon where you just need the police station weapons locker keycard. I'll be done with this tonight and... I do wish I'd walked away after finishing the game with Leon, second run has really dampened the love for it as it exposes a lot more of the cracks that you don't notice on the first run. If they remake RE3 it'd probably be a benefit to the game that it avoids this kind of replay stuff to just give a simple single storyline experience. It's a definite 8/10 entry.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
              Exactly. This is why I said the Tyrant was a pain in the arse adding no fun to the game at all. He was just annoying when playing as Claire.
              Yeah, It does hurt the game a lot and I never liked the Tyrant/Nemesis in Resident Evil 3. It's not much fun having an enemy you can't really kill

Comment

So how is the Tyrant in this game? In the original you can KO him at each of his scripted intervals for some ammo rewards. Is he more like Nemesis in this? Appearing randomly, etc.?

Comment

To be honest, he feels mostly scripted to me at least in terms of where he initially pops up to the player. He can follow you a good way and you can temporarily floor him with your ammo but you get nothing but a head start for doing so. Tbh, the trouble is he adds nothing positive to the experience, you'll be happily chugging along and then feel your stomach sink as he wanders around the corner

Comment

I’ve seen video posted from a stream where they were able to get two Mr. Xs on screen at the same time. If you thought the game was cheating with his pathing, then you’d be right!

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      To be honest, he feels mostly scripted to me at least in terms of where he initially pops up to the player. He can follow you a good way and you can temporarily floor him with your ammo but you get nothing but a head start for doing so. Tbh, the trouble is he adds nothing positive to the experience, you'll be happily chugging along and then feel your stomach sink as he wanders around the corner

I love this game, its the Resi game ive been waiting for for years. In functionality/puzzles/inventory management/enemy placement/routing - its everything I ever wanted from a remake, even though I was skeptical of it being third person.

I've been S/S+ ranking all the scenarios, ive done Hunk and Tofu, and completed all the ghost survivors content - including the extra challenge of doing the 100 enemy horde mode with using 60 bullets or less.

I cant get enough and still speed running through it, like I do with the older games regularly.

They've got this bang on, for me. I like That Mr X appears somewhat randomly, but you can learn his patterns, and where sometimes he is scripted to appear. I like that you can actually control him to a degree- not running, or opening doors loudly- or firing - will completely remove him from your game on the whole if you want too. But having a cramped hallway, triggering him, then getting him to knock the enemies over/out of the way, then juking him into a swing and expertly running past without being hit is a thing of greatness.

It adds an added random element for speedrunning, which makes attempts more fun for me.

My ONLY complaint is actually the inventory screen, its functional, but I would have liked something more similar to the originals.I can understand the complaints about the music, but I enjoy whats there, and enjoy that its subtle. I do like using the original soundtrack though. There's so much content here, and included in the base package- I feel like this will be my GOTY already. I love it.
                      Last edited by MrKirov; 28-02-2019, 11:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        Tbh, the trouble is he adds nothing positive to the experience, you'll be happily chugging along and then feel your stomach sink as he wanders around the corner
                        Isn't that the whole point?

Comment

Not for me, he's supposed to add some panic that heightens the fear factor but instead it's tedium. He's an unwanted inconvenience rather than something that adds to the tension. He's not that effective in pursuit either as he's mostly off screen thanks to the view leaving you mostly with his awful visual design. With him out and replaced by a few more occurring enemies RE2 would be much more tense and better

Comment

I think he looks stylish rather than fearsome. Especially when he can batter you several times and not cause death. Pity the only thing he drops after being shot is that trilby.

Comment

It makes you wonder, why his creator felt the need to dress him like a 1940's backstreet flasher?

Comment

Whatever he'd be flashing, you can guarantee it'd be corpse-grey with a big yellow eye on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X