No announcement yet.

Tenet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christopher Nolan Says Fellow Directors Have Called to Complain About His ‘Inaudible’ Sound
    "Interstellar" sound backlash left Nolan "a little shocked" at how "conservative people are when it comes to sound."

“We got a lot of complaints,” Nolan said about the “Interstellar” sound design. “I actually got calls from other filmmakers who would say, ‘I just saw your film, and the dialogue is inaudible.’ Some people thought maybe the music’s too loud, but the truth was it was kind of the whole enchilada of how we had chosen to mix it.”

“It was a very, very radical mix,” the director continued. “I was a little shocked to realize how conservative people are when it comes to sound. Because you can make a film that looks like anything, you can shoot on your iPhone, no one’s going to complain. But if you mix the sound a certain way, or if you use certain sub-frequencies, people get up in arms.”

Nolan added “there’s a wonderful feeling of scale” that can come by experimenting with sound design and “a wonderful feeling of physicality to sound that on ‘Interstellar’ we pushed further than I think anyone ever has.” For “Interstellar,” Nolan and his team “tapped into the idea of the sub-channel, where you can just get a lot of vibration.”

“A lot of it was the music where Hans [Zimmer] had this organ and he used the absolutely lowest note, which would literally make your chest drop,” Nolan continued. “There’s certain low end frequencies that automatically get filtered out by the software. He took all of those controls off, so there are all those sub-frequencies there. And we did the same on the dub stage. It’s a pretty fascinating sound mix. If you see it particularly in an IMAX theater, projected, it’s pretty remarkable.”

Comment

That's great, sod the dialogue i just want that amazing score.

Comment

That's all well and good Nolan, but 50% of a film is spoken word. Why have actors if you mix the sound so you can't hear them?

Comment

People aren't conservative, he's just **** at audio use and too arrogant to admit it. Not as bad as his Tenet Before COVID drive though.

Comment

TENET is basically the film version of Cher's "If I Could Turn Back Time".

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              “I was a little shocked to realize how conservative people are when it comes to sound. Because you can make a film that looks like anything, you can shoot on your iPhone, no one’s going to complain. But if you mix the sound a certain way, or if you use certain sub-frequencies, people get up in arms.”
              They will if you shoot it vertically so you can't see what's going on left and right. Nolan's doing the audio mixing equivalent of shooting vertically.

He knows the dialogue before it's spoken, so of course he'll be fine with the mix. As for the rest of us, here's some exposition next to a plane engine.

Comment

Just watched it on amazon. My son said "I can't hear anything they are saying". It was well annoying. Almost to the point of asking for my money back at points.

Comment

Saw this. Biggest piece of **** I have seen. Ever.

Don't @ me. I ****ing hated it.

Comment

Watched it tonight too in an effort to get through some last 2020 releases before the year is done. It's **** for sure, unsurprisingly though and I feel its issues are obvious and plenty. It also feels like it retroactively proves how several of his past darlings aren't great either because many of these things aren't new issues. He's the M. Night Shyamalan of big screen blockbusters.

Comment

It's a poor film. It's pretty much paint by numbers for him.
                      Like with all his films, I never want to see it again.

Comment

It was certainly a great watch in the Superscreen. The bass was so low it went right through you. At home, a lot of the spectacle and the severe harshness of the sound mix is lost. The incoherant dialogue certainly added to the mystery of the film. The overall craziness of the sound added to what was a great cinematic experience, for me. No wonder Nolan was so adament that this is how it should be watched.

Comment

Working...
                        X