No announcement yet.

Resident Evil VIIIage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100% going to buy this, but I have so much stuff to play already I'm going to hold off for a bit.

Comment

I'm holding off to the second part of the year. I want it but I don't have time for it right now...

Comment

From gaf it seems the ps5 version doesn't even have the full game on the disk you have to download the remaining half, thought that they only pulled that crap with switch carts but apparently not. No idea if other versions will pull the same stunt either way i won't be getting a copy on launch now, will wait for it to drop waaaaaay in price.

Comment

That's the case with most games now, in the sense that the version on the disc is practically an alpha half the time.

They're just physical license keys these days, really.

Really looking forward to this game - I had tons of fun playing through VII with my girlfriend watching back when it came out, and she's actually been asking about this one and when it's releasing (which surprised me since she's not a gamer except the odd VN).

Going to settle down this weekend to some shared scares

The only thing I really hope is that this game is more consistent. The last third of VII on the boat was terrible padding. If they can excise that but maintain the quality of the rest of it, I'll be delighted.
          Last edited by wakka; 05-05-2021, 10:32.

Comment

I just looked at that Gaf thread and the poster doesn't really provide details on what they mean about half the game on disc. I'm not jumping to the defense of Capcom but here's what it might be.

Capcom games tend to be small when they use the RE Engine. Monhun World was only 25 gig so RE8 being 27 on disc might just be that the engine compresses well. If that poster is then saying that they downloaded another 27 gig they might be assuming that the full game is 54 gig which is much more like most modern games.

However, the way Sony do patches has some variation. Most patches just download the changed files but devs have the option to make it do a full download. This redownload the full game but the machine reports it as a patch and doesn't really explain what it's doing. Devs forcing a full redownload as a patch is done to ensure data integrity if there have been a lot of changes or if there has been a significant engine change where it is best to just start fresh.

I have no idea of this is the case but it could be and the full game is actually on the disk, just unpatched.

Comment

DF analysis of it.
              Basically the game runs identical on the PS5 and seriesX. SeriesS runs well too, but avoid RT.
              One note is the PS5 loads in 2 seconds and for goes loading screens entirely. SeriesX is 8 seconds with load screens.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                DF analysis of it.
                Basically the game runs identical on the PS5 and seriesX. SeriesS runs well too, but avoid RT.
                One note is the PS5 loads in 2 seconds and for goes loading screens entirely. SeriesX is 8 seconds with load screens.

https://youtu.be/CMRuYC8UBkk
                The loading difference is interesting though 8 seconds is hardly a slouch. Great to see both machines being utilised well.

The Series S looks great with RT off. 60fps and 1440p, can't fault that really. I do wonder why they'd bother with the RT at all ...

Comment

^^^ yeah, great to see a big multi format release running so similar on both big formats ^^^

I've just played through the first 90 mins or so ... it's intense at times ... proper full on

Getting proper RE4 vibes which I'm liking loads

Comment

Wow! This sure is the least fun I've had with a game in ages! Every two minutes control is taken away from you to do a first person cutscene. Some of them go on for so long I started browsing Twitter while they were playing.

Early on there is a set piece fight where you're attacked by loads of enemies. Instead of being a thrilling fight through a well designed opening area (Resi 4 and 5), I found myself just running around for ages trying to find what would make the end of it trigger. The first few enemies have inflated health values so you expend loads of ammo on them (five minutes later the same enemies go down with less ammo) and then you get put into this set piece with them with barely any ammo. So you know you can't fight your way out and thus there is some kind of trigger for ending the sequence. So I just ran around until YET ANOTHER cutscene triggered and the set piece ended.

Also, there sure are a lot of Americans in this European village.

Hate it.

Comment

Has Kojima moved to Capcom? Lack of interaction is usually his thing.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                        The loading difference is interesting though 8 seconds is hardly a slouch. Great to see both machines being utilised well.

The Series S looks great with RT off. 60fps and 1440p, can't fault that really. I do wonder why they'd bother with the RT at all ...
                        Yeah ltt did a test and only the super techy people who have a deep understanding of how ray tracing works are able to distinguish between rt and non rt versions of the same game. Right now rt is a benefit to developers rather than us.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          Yeah ltt did a test and only the super techy people who have a deep understanding of how ray tracing works are able to distinguish between rt and non rt versions of the same game. Right now rt is a benefit to developers rather than us.
                          I think ray tracing has a place and depending on the game it can be a significant upgrade, I just wouldn't sacrifice a solid 60fps to achieve it in any situation.

Comment

I think in a couple of years RT will be used very lightly; a room here, an lamp there. Theyll get clever with it. Like an artist dabbing a brush.
                            Full RT across the scale just isn't worth the framerate drop.

Comment

In RE village case seems pretty good on performance.

-Solid 60fps with rt off.
                              -Target 60fps with rt on, with a few dips below 60 here and there.

Seems worth the few dips on PS5 & SeriesX.
                              Last edited by fishbowlhead; 07-05-2021, 07:39.

Comment

Apparently £40 on PS5 in Tesco of you have a Clubcard.

Comment

Working...
                                X