Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by superturd1 View Post
    theres an argument for Soul Calibur being better than SF2
    I'm not just going to say "you're wrong" but I'm not sure any argument could sway me on that.

Soul Calibur was a marvellous game. It sold me the Dreamcast; I loved it and played it exclusively for months, then for months again when years later I was among a group of friends who played it a lot. It looks great, plays smoothly, butI believe it's flawed. The biggest problem is game balance; some characters are genuinely better/worse than others, and it has very specific balance issues, like how some of the stages aren't symmetrical, meaning one player has a slighty advantage over another.

And Street Fighter II had balance issues too. I seem to recall the arcade original was heavily skewed towards Guile. But Capcom had a dozen swings at that particular axe, so once perfected, SFII was just a force to be reckoned with. Not only was it an amazing game, but it's a cultural touchstone in the way that only it and Mortal Kombat have really managed.

There is one thing I will give Calibur in this regard; it's one of those games which is notable because the home version is far superior to the arcade (Tekken Tag Tournament is the same). In Calibur's case, it's because its extra modes and features - all that stuff, like being able to re-edit the intro sequence - was great fun and made for superb single-player content. Just when I talk about fighters, I tend to only talk about the bit where I'm playing against another player, as that's the part which matters most to me.
    Last edited by Asura; 13-02-2019, 15:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      More moves in SoR2 are all well and good but they're not actually needed to progress in the game and there is no inherent reward for using them which pretty much makes them a waste of time imo - they're pretty much there for style over substance purposes. Again, there is a reason why literally most scrollers post-Final Fight adopted the same control mechanic of attack and jump with at most an extra button for the melee attack - it just works and is more than enough.

SoR2's Shiva is as generic, bland and clichéd a Ninja-type henchman boss as they come - nothing creative about him whatsoever and totally forgettable. He definitely isn't better than Final Fight's Sodom or Rolento. In fact, the other FF bosses Damnd, Abigail and Belgar are a hell of a lot more creative and memorable also.
      The extra moves have their purpose like closing the distance, maximising damage, stun, crowd control, invincibility etc. You might be able to get through with the bare minimum but that would be a boring, inefficient way to play. I try see what everything can be used for and some of the moves like Axel's special combo or Skate's drill are really satisfying to land and effective to use. Resident Evil games can be done with just the knife and Devil May Crys for the most part with one weapon and combo but does that make everything else pointless?

I think Shiva is a good design and his introduction as Mr X's best fighter and Max Man theme make the fight really epic. He's one of the toughest bosses and critically has an impressive looking moveset. The Final Fight bosses are really limited in comparison. Damnd might look imposing but he can't actually do very much. All he has are a single jab and a jump kick. Shiva was a good playable character in SOR3 but if Damnd or many of the others had been playable they'd be very boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoju View Post
        I think Shiva is a good design and his introduction as Mr X's best fighter
        I loved the Shiva fight. It was like after fighting these bosses, with their claws, their jetpacks, their... Being Geiger's Alien-ness... There was this guy who was basically like you. And he was going to kick the LIVING **** OUT OF YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
          FF can be easily 1CC'd in one-player if you make the effort to learn how to manage the enemy waves/patterns properly and that is a damn sight more than can be said for other scrollers of that era - Konami's two TMNT coin-ops are way more difficult than FF ever was, for example.
          Exactly. People scream "coin guzzler!!" but that isn't always the case, especially with Capcom's output.

Comment

Working...
          X