Retro|Spective 075: Super Mario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    If the ports keep selling that well I can imagine Super Mario 3D World will be along this year at some point as they've already hit the wall on what's left to port. I wouldn't rule out Wii ports then with a slight touch up applied, the use of ports still highlights the issues with new content Nintendo has for the Switch though a Galaxy HD...
    Yeah. I don't like it but I'd be surprised if re-releases of EAD titles like SM3DW and Pikmin 3 (in lieu of Pikmin 4) didn't appear on Switch at some point.

Nintendo have already worked with Nvidia to release HD ports of the Galaxy games on the Shield tablets in China so it's easy to see it as a question of when as opposed to if they'll appear on Switch, not to mention that Skyward Sword is obviously begging to be remastered and ported.

I still can't help but think that Koizumi-san has unfinished business with Super Mario Sunshine though. An HD remastering of that could potentially be stunning imo.

Comment

Sunshine is one of those were, I'd like to see it happen but it'd have to be more in the form of a HD remake than a remaster. Even the movement physics of Mario need overhauling in that game to bring it up to par enough but with the right alterations it could get the attention it probably deserves

Comment

Sunshine is one of those were, I'd like to see it happen but it'd have to be more in the form of a HD remake than a remaster. Even the movement physics of Mario need overhauling in that game to bring it up to par enough but with the right alterations it could get the attention it probably deserves
        I don't think it would need that much work, tbh

In fact, the more I think about it the more I feel like Sunshine was then what, or perhaps more realistically a prototype of what, Odyssey is now. I mean, replace F.L.U.D.D. with Cappy and you're kinda pretty much there!

Both Sunshine and Odyssey are oddball departures from the established 3D Mario concept laid down by 64, only Sunshine clearly lacks the shine and polish that Odyssey (and the Galaxies) had.
        Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 06-02-2019, 11:02.

Comment

I wonder how much work it would be to recreate Sunshine in Odyssey's engine? I'd probably go for that more so than an Odyssey 2

Comment

I wonder how much work it would be to recreate Sunshine in Odyssey's engine? I'd probably go for that more so than an Odyssey 2
            I can't imagine that it would be massivlely hard work - Koizumi-san and Motokura-san have been at the helm for production of every 3D Mario game since Sunshine so they and their team would surely have the knowledge to immediate hand - they are basically the successors to Miyamoto and Tezuka as far as Mario is concerned.

Not sure I'd want HD Sunshine over an Odyssey 2 though!
            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 06-02-2019, 11:08.

Comment

Yeah, I reckon SF might be right. While some things in Sunshine would translate beautifully (the look), some fundamentals such as how the camera works with the level design would be big problems and I can't help feeling that's something that wouldn't be easily fixed. I don't know how easy or hard those things are to fix but I would have thought they're at the core of the game. It could be more a recreation than a layer of paint and that might not be worth the trouble whereas I imagine a Galaxy port would be a much easier job.

Comment

Yeah, agreed that Sunshine would need a pretty major overhaul. It would be awesome to see it though.

Comment

I always like the idea of playing Sunshine more than actually playing it. I keep going back but it never seems to take.

Comment

Yeah, I went back to it a few years ago and it drove me mad but almost always due to the dodgy camera. I adore the look and the music though. We had a DS Mario Kart track based on Sunshine but I would love to have seen one in Mario Kart 8 that totally embraces the Sunshine feel.

Comment

Clue for R|S 076: Going Underground in an American Wasteland to find the Proving Grounds

Comment

Tony Hawk.

I miss that series. When it was good, obviously.

Comment

Nailed it

Comment

Working...
                          X