Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apex Legends - f2p Battle Royale out now (Xbox One, PS4 & PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to grind out the last 5 levels i needed to level 24 for the first hero unlock.. quite frustrating with the amount of mouthbreathers you get teamed up with, while i don't care much about a quick death on a spicey drop (usually they got the weapon before me), the amount of times a "teammate" has either launched on his own(and got killed), ran off and got killed by starting a 3v1 fire fight, ran off and left the team behind to fend off 3v2 (and not recover tags), go afk, quit out if they don't get the lvl3 armour, and most surprisingly...often i see them not even pick up armour.

god damn,

just witnessed first hand some grade A BS, down to 1 v 1 squad, team mates get are downed and i somehow (thanks to decoy's) take down the other 2 leaving me with just the other player 1v1, he ran off leaving is teammates to die, he's gasman and just sits on the first floor shack and sadly the ****er just camped there for 10 solid minutes somehow able to throw down a new gas after every gas release ends with the stairs and upstair entrance next to each other he can camp up there forever. in end i scavenge a grenade and attempt it but with the forced slow, unreduced sight, and ticking damage going from all the gas releases the **** wins.

. Rant over.
    Last edited by Tobal; 18-02-2019, 01:35.

Comment

Gave this a go at the weekend and to be honest was pretty bored by it. It's certainly solidly made, probably the most notable thing is how smooth and solid the whole thing feels but with all the 'Titanfall' key aspects stripped from the gameplay and such a generic look to the eye it just felt like yet another BR same-old-same-old experience. Can't fault it too much though given it's free.

Comment

If your not in BR at all there's little it does to change the formula outside the abilities and the fast pace of the game (which after playing alot, i put down to its low recovery time and equipment improvements after team clashes) and most of its success is down to how smooth and solid the gunplay is, of which you can only say Blackops is close on gunplay and H1Z1 does have the pace (in a different way though, simpler equipment and focus on highly visible vehicles and lots of airdrops to fight over). To me has a feel of classic unreal tournament rather than TitanFall at this point and i can understand why they cut all the pilot stuff...

1) you would need a very packed environment to enable all the running and grapple (and sidehop), let alone the balance and size of the task in making a large map packed with invisible walls or "return to area" to stop people abusing the likes of hiding in the walls. And i'm pretty sure they don't have the netcode to handle the speed players would be moving at either.

2) the skill ceiling would increase alot and cause casual players to drop the game (like TF2), it's already a decently fast game with the mobility from just sliding around, unarmed running and ziplines. It would end up like Fortnite with player doing wallrunning loops being it's version of building a tower the moment you're shot at.

Comment

https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends...eres_my_story/

Yesterday I began my journey into the rabbit hole that is chasing after the heirloom items, something that has a <1% chance of dropping.

Why did I do this after everything I just wrote, knowing the math behind these loot boxes?

What got me with Apex Crates was the guaranteed “pity timer”. If you open 500 crates you are guaranteed a heirloom bundle. To top it off, the only heirlooms in the game right now are for Wraith (my main) and I wanted to secure them before new ones dropped, lowering my chance to ever luck out and receive them.

At least 3 of my friends have gotten the Wraith heirlooms in only a few crates, all the streamers have them, surely it wouldn’t take me the whole 500 crates right?

Comment

Well as long as these whales fund updates to this game (and by extension, Titanfall 3), i'm ok with that. Though i guess i'm in the minority that doesn't care if i'm in a default skin on these gatcha vanity items in free games.

Comment

If I end up playing a game for at least 50 hours I don't mind dropping £20 once a year or so for the vanity items. Contributing now and then is fine.

I also like it when they take away some of the older ones. I have some very old and very cool skins on my SEA League of Legends account that are no longer obtainable. It sucks for some, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                Can't fault it too much though given it's free.
                It's not really free if you value your time. If I started playing this it'd cost me €200 a day at the very least in downtime.

If I'd skipped Diablo III for the Switch and worked those hours instead I'd be up €6,960.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  It's not really free if you value your time.
                  Yeah, this is what keeps me away from most mobile games. I have so many things I could be doing now, I have to be discerning.

Comment

Absolutely. Although I think you can say that of most Live Services now. I held off playing games like Path of Exile (and even Warframe) for ages because I worried about the money/time commitment. It similar for why I haven't succumbed to Apex Legends yet but certainly don't mind spending if I enjoy the game.

That said my own view is different from [MENTION=938]Tobal[/MENTION]. I don't like seeing anyone being taken advantage of, even if it means I got updates for free. I rather anti-consumer lootboxes go or be regulated.

Comment

Had to tough this one out with a squad that don't quite get the meaning behind team in teammates. Such a struggle.

Comment

Well the battle pass is out and it's not great, in fact i would call it a waste of money. £8 gets you 100 levels to grind 25000exp a level(no idea if it goes up yet) which will take while as most matches average 2000 (if you last 15mins doing nothing) even with extra bonus from the new character exp (25000exp running total per legend for the week i think, to promote using different characters) giving you maybe another 2000-3000 extra.

the rewards are basically
                        *crappy looking tribal like skins for half of the characters, not new outfits like the legend stuff.
                        *2 crappy looking gun skins for each gun which look like a world map slapped on and the other party popper
                        *meh banners
                        *rubbish stat trackers which are only 'season 1 kills' which make it utterly useless past this season pass, and we already have per character kills total.
                        *a voice message for character saying 'season begins' or a variant of it
                        *exp boosters
                        *loot bug/crate every 10 or so levels
                        *last couple of rewards at about level 98-100 are some custom models for the laser rifle (which is a bad gun compared the LMG ver) which do special lighting effects based on the amount of people killed in match.

can't use the excuse this is only the first 1 pass as i got the 1st passes for fortnite/H1Z1 and they gave lot worth while vanity items out.

as the for the game itself, it still plays well but the balance of the characters is still pretty bad, as smaller hitboxes and abilities that give speed trump everything else, so if you don't want a real disadvantage it leaves Wraith, Lifeline, Banga and Blood as the top characters, after that you have niche situations for pathfinder(his grapple once you learn to properly swing for momentum is great fun, but his big hit box makes him easy to down) and caustic(early and late game in tight areas, big hitbox though), leaving mirage and gib at the bottom with worthless abilities.

Not used the new guy yet, opened it him as i'd leveled up to around 68 giving me a 3rd lot of 12000 points to spend, sadly i've been 2nd and 3rd on my 2 goes today so others got to pick him 1st. Seems to be a small, speed type so that automatically makes him better than half the cast, remains to seen how good the passive health regen is and the health penalty for speed boosting is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                          Well as long as these whales fund updates to this game (and by extension, Titanfall 3), i'm ok with that. Though i guess i'm in the minority that doesn't care if i'm in a default skin on these gatcha vanity items in free games.
                          No, you're not alone, not on the default skins part, I don't spend a penny on them. In fact I ended up selling a load of skins I got for free in PUBG and continued to use the default skins. Digital tat can go do one.

I'm also absolutely terrible at this game and end up dying very quickly, which definitely doesn't incentivise me to spend money on it.
                          Last edited by MartyG; 21-03-2019, 06:27.

Comment

Little piece of Apex Legends news, that impacts any future Titanfall project:

Apex Legends sticking to seasonal content updates, because Respawn 'doesn't want to overwork the team' Plus "more meaningful" Season 2 teased. [EuroGamer]

Respawn Entertainment has reiterated that it's sticking to its original plans to deliver more measured seasonal updates for its own free-to-play battle royale game, Apex Legends - because, "We don't want to overwork the team".
                            Rounding off his message to fans, McCoy also announced that Respawn will be "pushing out plans for future Titanfall games" so that it can "fully support" Apex Legends. The studio had previously said it would be releasing a new game in the Titanfall universe by the end of this year.
                            And the older news story linked within the above EG article: Another Titanfall game will launch this year...But it's still not Titanfall 3.

Comment

I... don't think there'll be a Titanfall 3. I think TF2 stumbled hard enough that EA won't feel that brand name carries enough weight to justify a sequel. Apex Legends is likely a sign of things to come with their other Titanfall projects coming under different names but I'd wager by next gen EA will tell them to let Titanfall go completely.

Comment

Latest "big" patch introduced a crap ton of lag for ps4 players, then a serverside update today trying to fix it and bunch of new bugs, it hit and did nothing... think i'm going to blame this on splitting the already shrinking playerbase across normal and elite queues, feels like i'm getting alot fewer games with EU players, and instead getting alot of yanks or UAE players blasting american rap.

the "big patch" was pretty lame as per usual for new content in the game, more skins you need pay for and few terrible free ones you can earn by completing the new objective tasks they added. Seems the devs are happy to let this game die.

Comment

Working...
                                X