Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apex Legends - f2p Battle Royale out now (Xbox One, PS4 & PC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apex Legends - f2p Battle Royale out now (Xbox One, PS4 & PC)

From Respawn Entertainment/EA. Out now.
    Just announced (c.8pm UK time) on Twitch. A bunch of Twitch streamers being paid to advertise the game - right now (c.475,000 viewers on Twitch).
    • f2p and available now, on Xbox One, PS4 and PC.
    • Premium currency with a very Fortnite-esk in-game cash shop. Skin layout in menu's looks like Overwatch with different rarities.
    • No cross play
    • Not plans for Switch or Mobile just yet

It's now official: Respawn's been quietly working on a free-to-play, first person shooter battle royale called Apex Legends - and it's already available for players to download.
    As Respawn is eager to reiterate, this is a battle royale set within the Titanfall universe rather than a Titanfall 2 sequel. It takes place about 30 years after the events of Titanfall 2, in an area called the Outlands, featuring an eclectic bunch of characters who are all competing in "the Titanfall equivalent of a blood sport". Hunger Games, but more sci-fi.
    To be crowned champion, you'll need to lead your 3-player squad to victory against 19 other teams - a total of 57 other players. Finally, my chances of winning have increased.
    Although cross-play is unavailable at launch, Respawn told Eurogamer it "plans to allow players to play with their friends on other platforms". Cross-progress and cross-purchases, however, will never be possible in Apex Legends, "due to the way systems were set up early on" which "can't [be] reconciled after the fact". In other words, as cross-play only recently became a possibility, it will never be fully integrated into Apex Legends.
    It comes at a cost. No Titanfall 3.

"There are some people who think there are too many battle royale games or it's a fad, the world thinks we're making Titanfall 3 and we're not - this is what we're making.

Played a bunch of it tonight, it feels a lot like Titanfall and it feels very distinct in how it plays from BLACKOUT.
    Big focus on team play and I really appreciate the formation drop in and the taking it in turns for character selection

Comment

Played it as well, really impressed. It does a few things better than blackout as well.

1) No stupid lobby
      2) Group drop in
      3) Utility and healing on dpad

Comment

I'll give it go as i like TF2, has some decent ideas like the forced team play and team revivals (basically a comeback system), from watching the GB play it is seems all the good hero abilities are paid for (booo keep gameplay out of money system) and yet again alot of time spent in menus, i really wish new BR games copied H1's streamlined gameplay and cut this gun accessory bullcrap out. Also the character art style is real ugly.

Comment

Strange I didn’t see any hero abilities in the shop, I had them available.

They said that it’s only cosmetics in the shop, if it’s p2w no matter how good it is I’ll be out. I saw 2 characters locked but you can earn the currency at a decent rate to unlock them. Being EA access they gave me a 1000 of the premium currency for free, the characters are 750.

Comment

Sorry meant the hero's themselves which come with their own ability like overwatch. Well if you can earn the currency to buy them then it isn't much of a problem if you intend to play a lot.

Comment

FTP means there's no harm giving this a go so I'll download it later. From what I can tell it looks solid but it'll probably have the same issue for me as they nearly all do. One map is a stupidly low count, gets old so fast.

Comment

I really like this... Much better gunplay than Fortnite and up there with Blackout (which I never bought but tried in the free weekend recently).

Right decision to go F2P as well but like Jack Frags says in his video I watched last night, the name is horrible. I know they must have wanted it to stay separate from Titanfall as it's a different game but still...

It's going to be interesting to see how the hero abilities focus mixes into the tactics. Plus I really hope new modes and cross play will come if it's popular.

It's deserves to be popular...hell it's just refreshing to see a game like this land, without warning, with a distinct sheen of polish and thought already in the product.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                  I really like this... Much better gunplay than Fortnite and up there with Blackout (which I never bought but tried in the free weekend recently).

Right decision to go F2P as well but like Jack Frags says in his video I watched last night, the name is horrible. I know they must have wanted it to stay separate from Titanfall as it's a different game but still...

It's going to be interesting to see how the hero abilities focus mixes into the tactics. Plus I really hope new modes and cross play will come if it's popular.

It's deserves to be popular...hell it's just refreshing to see a game like this land, without warning, with a distinct sheen of polish and thought already in the product.
                  People say there surprised yet Titanfall 2 is still the best FPS this gen by a mile.

All ea had to do was use the same engine and same tight gameplay and boom, instant good game.

Edit. Why has the trailer got such a bad frame rate? I found it unwatchable.
                  Last edited by fishbowlhead; 05-02-2019, 13:08.

Comment

How is the map, I know BR modes play out differently from MP modes and that this strips out a lot of key features from TF2 but as TF2 multiplayer was itself a step down from the one in the original game I'm curious how much they can strip the experience back before it stops being that distinct.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      FTP means there's no harm giving this a go so I'll download it later. From what I can tell it looks solid but it'll probably have the same issue for me as they nearly all do. One map is a stupidly low count, gets old so fast.
                      The size of it is like having all the Titan-fall 2 maps combined into one, I found with Fortnite that it took a long time to get the lay of the land and no two games felt the same as even if you land in the same area each time your constantly pushed to head towards different parts of the map. The Fortnite map is very well designed by having distinct landmarks that all look different and are fun to traverse and battle in. It looks like the Titanfall fall devs have done this too.

Comment

I have the opposite with most BR maps, they feel barren which is particularly glaring given the amount of wandering you do between bouts. Fortnite slightly negates it as the map isn't very complex or that huge really. CoD's was okay but it's issue was that it lacks tension, the fast paced focused controls mostly reduce things to wander > mini CoD shoot out. There's a beat these things need to excel and so far only PUBG has hit the nail by being tense and adding whole new maps to keep an element of freshness to it (just sadly being the ropiest built one). I'm going to assume, given the franchise, this is sharing DNA with Blackout so will wait and see.

Still amazing the swell of interest there is for what is effectively just a multiplayer mode, not a game in of itself.

Comment

Pubg only tense due to player wasting 20 to 30mins doing nothing and hoping the 20 second fire fight at the end went your way due to your camping spot being in the zone. Worst br by far, bringing out worst in players.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            I have the opposite with most BR maps, they feel barren which is particularly glaring given the amount of wandering you do between bouts. Fortnite slightly negates it as the map isn't very complex or that huge really. CoD's was okay but it's issue was that it lacks tension, the fast paced focused controls mostly reduce things to wander > mini CoD shoot out. There's a beat these things need to excel and so far only PUBG has hit the nail by being tense and adding whole new maps to keep an element of freshness to it (just sadly being the ropiest built one). I'm going to assume, given the franchise, this is sharing DNA with Blackout so will wait and see.

Still amazing the swell of interest there is for what is effectively just a multiplayer mode, not a game in of itself.
                            Is it fair to not call it a game in itself their is as much if not more content than in a game like Overwatch. Fortnite battle royal isn't just seen as a game mode nor is it seen as lacking content by the people paying it, The constant map changes, new events, and ongoing narrative, keep it relevant to my son and his friends. Respawn have taken notice and no doubt they will do the same.

Saying that id love it if one of these dev's did add more ways to play these games. A scavenger zombie mode like the original ARMA 2 dayZ mod. Or a pure pve mode where a team of four of you are working your way towards a safe point where zombies are a real threat and its more focused on survival and scavenging.

Comment

Loving this. But then I loved TF2.

Played half a dozen games last night with Randombs and managed a few third places.

Would be nice to play with friends who communicate.

On PS4: teddymeowUK. Let's go!!

Comment

Working...
                              X