User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    These are my choices:

1. Soccer Brawl(I'm a big fan of arcade style, over the top football games, and this is one of my faves.)
    2. Vendetta(A fun beat 'em up that has really nice graphics and is full of creativity)
    3. Virtua Racing(There's something beautiful and uplifting about this racer that keeps me coming back for more.)
    4. R-Type Leo(A great looking shooter that's always a pleasure to play through.)
    5. Street Fighter 2(Still a beautiful looking fighter that's fun to play through despite there being far more complex entries in the genre.)

Honourable mentions must go to Sunset Riders, Tumblepop, Thrash Rally, Truxton 2, and Baseball Stars 2. All favourites of mine. I also think most of the other games listed are good to very good.

This period is where the love of arcade games I had in the mid-late 80s and (very) early 90s nosedived.

It was partly because I was getting older and had other interests, but even today I'm finding it hard to be too enthusiastic about anything from this list.

There are a lot of scrolling beat 'em ups, which was never a genre I was especially interested in, and even SF2 never really excited me.

Tumblepop is nowhere near as good as Bubble Bobble, Rad Mobile is far from one of Sega's best and R-Type Leo is ok, but is a bit too easy, and without the force, just doesn't feel like R-Type.

The one game I did enjoy was Virtua Racing. At the time its use of 3D was impressive, and obviously it turned out to be the start of a new era. The only problem is, Daytona USA seemed to appear within a few months and took another big step forward, so Virtua Racing quickly stopped being my go to game.

Despite sounding a little negative, arcades did begin to win me over again as the decade went on!

Quote Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
    This period is where the love of arcade games I had in the mid-late 80s and (very) early 90s nosedived.
    For me, it was a great time for arcade gaming, only second to the next period 93-96. I loved how beat 'em ups, fighters, shooters, and racing games went to another level of impressiveness. It was nice too see all the refinement over the years resulting in really polished games that still stand the test of time perfectly.

but even today I'm finding it hard to be too enthusiastic about anything from this list.
    I think what is regarded as the 'Golden Age' of arcade gaming really divides opinion. I know a lot of people consider it to be 79-82. I guess nostalgia plays a big part,.

There are a lot of scrolling beat 'em ups, which was never a genre I was especially interested in, and even SF2 never really excited me.
    Not a good time for people who aren't interested in beat 'em ups.

I remember thinking SF2 was astonishing back then. It was such a huge thing across the world.

The one game I did enjoy was Virtua Racing. At the time its use of 3D was impressive, and obviously it turned out to be the start of a new era. The only problem is, Daytona USA seemed to appear within a few months and took another big step forward, so Virtua Racing quickly stopped being my go to game.
    I always went back to Virtua Racing, long after Daytona appeared. One reason I prefer Virtua Racing is because I'm good at it, but I've never been great at playing Daytona. Daytona is a great game though, so I'd definitely buy a 2-player unit if I was rich.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-02-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Retro View Post
    For me, it was a great time for arcade gaming, only second to the next period 93-96. I loved how beat 'em ups, fighters, shooters, and racing games went to another level of impressiveness. It was nice too see all the refinement over the years resulting in really polished games that still stand the test of time perfectly.
    90's was the best for me it was so great when you had the likes of Revenge of Death Adder, Daytona USA, Virtual Cop HOTD 1 and II, Jurassic Park:Lost World, GunBlade NY, F335, Get Bass, X Men: COTA, Metal Sug, Neo Turf Masters, Souky, Die Hard Arcade, G-Loc 360, Football Champ, Soccer Brawl, Decathlete and God knows how many more classics game

Street Fighter II and Turtles In Time - these two were kings of the seaside arcade for me. Spent a fortune of the SFII machine in Seaton Carew.

Virtua Racing - this one takes me back to the days of Hollywood Bowl at Teesside Park, right at the boom of Sega and Namco's big hitters. 4-Player Virtua Racing was brilliant fun and I still love the way it looks today.

Baseball Stars II - along with Point Blank, this is the perfect pub arcade game.

R-Type Leo - I used to have the PCB of this game. It's a crime it never made it to a home console.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    90's was the best for me
    It was also an amazing era for me. I used to spend loads of time in London arcades playing all sorts of games. I loved how each genre had sooo many top quality games to get excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Spent a fortune of the SFII machine in Seaton Carew.
    I remember it being in all sorts of places -- from chip shops to cinemas and bowling alleys. Everyone wanted to play SF2.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    R-Type Leo - I used to have the PCB of this game. It's a crime it never made it to a home console.
    Yeah, it should have been ported to the 32-bit machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    1) Soccer Brawl - After Sensi most prob the most perfect football game around and the game that made me want a Neo Geo system in the home
    I always remember seeing this on GamesWorld. It looked awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Asura View Post
    I always remember seeing this on GamesWorld. It looked awesome.
    I remember seeing it on a nice big 25" monitor in a Brighton arcade and being blown away by how great it looked. Luckily it's also a really fun game to play. Definitely a retro game that doesn't get as much recognition as it deserves.