No announcement yet.

Final Fantasy 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't buy it. Any report that they lost the source code is also accompanied by reports that they lost the source code for FFVII too and yet here we are with that coming out and not FFVIII. So I don't buy that being a firm reason.

As MrKirov says, it's on Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      I don't buy it.
      Its simply what Square told Retrogamer or it may have been another mag like GamesTM, It was a while back

Comment

Oh yeah, I'm not saying you're not telling the truth! Just that I don't buy it as a make or break reason why we're not getting FFVIII. Could certainly be a factor but they made FFVII happen.

Comment

Oh yeah, I'm not saying you're not telling the truth! Just that I don't buy it as a make or break reason why we're not getting FFVIII. Could certainly be a factor but they made FFVII happen.
          I don't get why Square would lie over it, maybe the Hardrive failed or when they did a backup, the data got corrupted. People may want to do a Panzer Dragoon Saga conspiracy style plot to this, but this is Square, who love to milk their old games..

Comment

I'm not even accusing them of lying. They may well have lost it but I think it's probably being trotted out as an easy excuse. I can't know what's behind it of course so anything I have is pure speculation but I'd guess they figured that FFVII is a lot more popular and so worth whatever reverse engineering it takes to get it to modern systems whereas that same work for FFVIII might not pay off. FVIII was a huge hit back in the day but they'd have much more recent figures on what the games sold on Steam and PSN and so that could be informing this decision.

Comment

I'll don't see it, not when FF 8 sold some 7 million copies plus

I don't get when asked years ago, when Square said that remakes would be possible, but FF8 would have issues over the source code; There must be a reason why Square just said they couldn't do FF8, but had no issues with the others in the series.

Comment

Since this thread happened, I have been replaying FF8 on Vita. I’m probably about 15 or 20 hours in or so right now. And well, I have to say I remember it being better. Squall is a total knob but he’s not the only one. The characters really don’t come through and, while they look great, there just isn’t much to them. Zell is annoying, Irvine is hasn’t shown who he is yet and, on the past side, I had totally forgetting that Wade and the other guy existed. The only one who feels like she has character is Selfie and, in all honesty, that comes down to one thing: her happy train song.

The story is kind of all over the place and has no real anchor. It’s a bunch of stuff that happens. And the draw system is dull and feels kind of broken.

So yeah, I remember it being way better. Still, it looks pretty cool and the music is great and it’s not so bad that I’ll stop playing - one thing it does have is a sense of progression. It doesn’t move at a snail’s pace like some old RPGs and always has a new goal to achieve and that’s a good thing. It keeps giving reasons to continue. So not all bad but I must admit this was better in my memory than I’m finding it now.

Comment

The story just gets kind of worse as it goes on. It feels like not enough thought went into it... or too much, like a lot of the ideas were remnants of things that once made sense but then stuff got cut.

Comment

FF8 was an interesting one the gameplay and system around the game are great, but the story and characters are just direr it's hard to care for any of them Squall comes across as such an unlikely character.

As Dogg Thang said I doubt very much Square lost the code and they are just using it as an excuse. It's not a popular title in the Final Fastasy series and while it sold well originally. I suspect Square know they won't see a return on an remake of 8 that said with both 7 and 9 on PS4 in original formats. I'm surprised 8 hasn't shown up yet.

Comment

The story just gets kind of worse as it goes on. It feels like not enough thought went into it... or too much, like a lot of the ideas were remnants of things that once made sense but then stuff got cut.
                      I played it through in its entirety with a friend, and I struggle to remember it. Ironic, considering that...

... there's a big twist where the characters all have amnesia? Am I remembering that right?

It honestly sounds like I'm doing a "bit" but really I'm not.

Comment

Working...
                      X