Dune: Part Two & Messiah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dune: Part Two & Messiah

A bunch of release date announcements hit late Friday ahead of the Presidents Day weekend. Warner Bros. Pictures has set a November 20th 2020 release date for Denis Villeneuve’s “Dune” which will play in both 3D and IMAX theaters over the Thanksgiving holiday. The adaptation of Frank Herbert’s classic (and many say unfilmable) sci-fi novel […]

It's been swirling for years and years but Warner Bros have set a release date of 20 November 2020 for Dune.

Directed by Denis Villeneuve, the new adaptation stars Jason Momoa, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaacs and more and is said to aim to become a film franchise though - early grenade toss - I doubt it will be.
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 26-10-2021, 18:47.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    Directed by Denis Villeneuve, the new adaptation stars Jason Momoa, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaacs and more and is said to aim to become a film franchise though - early grenade toss - I doubt it will be.
    The thing is, Dune is a book with epic scope, so you could see a film universe rising out of it.

The problem is that the sequels don't really have the same quality as the original; so that'd be a problem for them.

Comment

I think with something like Dune, timing is highly important and given what audiences are currently steering towards I'm doubtful now is the right time unless they go cheap on budgeting which steers it into don't bother territory again. Essentially, Blade Runner 2049 scenario again.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        The thing is, Dune is a book with epic scope, so you could see a film universe rising out of it.
        Hey, [MENTION=3144]Dogg Thang[/MENTION]! This guy is suggesting a DCU!
        Not to be confused with the DCCU, of course.

Comment

STOP THAT!

Comment

I like Villeneuve, but after watching Jodorowsky's Dune it's very hard to get excited about any other version.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
              I like Villeneuve, but after watching Jodorowsky's Dune it's very hard to get excited about any other version.
              I would have loved that to have been real; that being said, I think it would've been a complete disaster. Just a very entertaining one.

Comment

After managing to turn a basically un doable sequel in Blade Runner 2049 into my movie of the year, I have faith he has the chops to make this a successful movie quality wise.
                Last edited by fishbowlhead; 18-02-2019, 13:09.

Comment

Highlights I'm looking forward to:

Paul/Feyd fight in a proper coliseum with the huge crowd
                  Jessica drinking the water of life/Alia's pre-born awakening
                  Face dancers
                  Laza Tigers
                  Bene Gesserit sexy stuff

Spoilered highlights I'm looking forward to:

Alia's possession
                  Leto II discovering his super powers(a bit like Peter in the first Spiderman films)
                  Miles Teg mashing up the place in slow-motion

God Emperor has a lot of talking and people often wonder how it would translate to a film but it's also pretty emotional.
                  The later books have some truly beautiful scenes that I can't wait to see realised on the big screen. Some feel quite Blade Runner-esque.

Comment

It think the first book translates just fine into a film. However the later books? Far too much to cover.

Comment

I hated the bit in the first film where the fat floating man pulls the heart plug out of a worker and drank their blood as they died.

That's haunted me for years.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        I hated the bit in the first film where the fat floating man pulls the heart plug out of a worker and drank their blood as they died.

That's haunted me for years.
                        Wouldn’t we all do that though if we were head of an intergalactic spaning house empire?

Comment

Haunted me too, but in hindsight it was a bit silly.

In the book, the Baron would often request a drugged-up boy/young man for the night. He killed one because he wasn't docile enough and put up a fight.

That got turned into an air-mattress valve in the translation to screen.

Comment

Jason Momoa puts me off this. I can't take him at all seriously as an actor. Maybe he will surprise me.

When it comes to this being a film, I would think turning it into something like Game of Thrones for TV would be a better option. But that would probably cost way too much money and sci-fi shows often don't fare well these days.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 22-02-2019, 08:33.

Comment

It'd be interesting to see Amazon or Netflix etc try to adapt it, certainly better too even if it got axed part way through as a film will only be able to spend 2hrs or so on the plot and then that's it as, being blunt, this will near certainly die at the box office.

Comment

Working...
                              X