No announcement yet.

Street Fighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] I'm still doubtful that this is case but I'll look into it.

FWIW, I do know that you can perform a joystick motion and delay the button press to a certain degree and effectively stagger the execution of a special move. I'm aware that this has carried throughout the SF games - you need to do that in the SFIV trials to a considerable degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      Prior to SF coming out, you had Karate Champ and Yie Ar Kung Fu, Renegade, and maybe Double Dragon (not sure on the timings). Not much in the way of inspiration, especially in the 1 v 1 stakes. Definitely will agree about the timings needed to pull off the special moves though, it's ludicrous!
      It's difficult to say with 100% certainty, but I think Yie Ar Kung Fu was the first game I ever played - certainly one of the first. The next big step up from that for me was the mighty Way of the Exploding Fist. I'm sure there are others that will extoll the virtues of IK+, though I missed out on that. I was too young to be playing other than what landed in my lap at that stage, and the original Street Fighter was nowhere near prolific enough to do that.

Comment

Dunno, played OG SF a fair bit in the arcade and particularly a french boat crossing, enjoy the backdrops and characters tho its annoying and easy to be defeated.

Maybe i'm in a minority but for me games dont have to be any good to enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
          [MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] I'm still doubtful that this is case but I'll look into it.

FWIW, I do know that you can perform a joystick motion and delay the button press to a certain degree and effectively stagger the execution of a special move. I'm aware that this has carried throughout the SF games - you need to do that in the SFIV trials to a considerable degree.
          He’s right. I just popped on SF2 and special moves work on button release. So you can press to punch and release going into the hadoken, for example. One press, two moves.

Also for SF3 and Alpha too. The fundamental difference in SF1 though is that the moves only work on release.
          Last edited by Dogg Thang; 19-02-2019, 18:05.

Comment

@J0e Musashi... you're actually playing a fair chunk of SFII at present. What say you?
            This is news to me. I’ve never played Street Fighter II in this way in all of my years. I’m not entirely convinced by it either. I can’t see a situation where SM activation on button release would be beneficial. I’ll give it a try, but it’s D, DF, F, P not P, D, DF, F...

Also “Pianoing” is just a way of holding a control pad, so that it mimics a joystick. It was invented upon the release of the Capcom Pad Soldier, which was designed to be used in that way.
            Last edited by J0e Musashi; 20-02-2019, 00:01.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I remember the arcade cab was impressive, with pressure pads that you hit. I'm not sure if the game was considered good back in the day -- but I do know that the ports to computers were terrible. The Amiga version is soul destroyingly bad.

I think SF2 might be the best sequel ever made because it was so brilliant in all departments.

Comment

Wow surprised about the lack of knowledge about the original Street Fighter here, it was a terrible game and the original arcade used pressure pads that saw players start to injury themselves. Don't think we got those cabinets in Europe, the game itself was a flop, hence why you rarely ever see any arcades of it around these days and even Capcom realised what a bad game it was.

However, unlikely modern game where the series gets cancelled if the first game doesn't do well, Capcom went back to the drawing board, learning from all their mistakes from making the original and resigned the game to make it a fun playable experience. The end result was Street Fighter II and it's one of gaming best rise from the ashes stories.

No one ever said the original was a good game, but it's legacy is something else. Proof that if you learn from the mistakes you made, you can make something truly amazing.
                Last edited by S3M; 26-02-2019, 11:59.

Comment

The pressure pad cabs definitely appeared in Europe, my local bowling alley at the time (the largest in Europe) had a reasonable arcade as part of it and had the cab in. Also Final Fight started life as a SF follow up...
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                    The pressure pad cabs definitely appeared in Europe, my local bowling alley at the time (the largest in Europe) had a reasonable arcade as part of it and had the cab in. Also Final Fight started life as a SF follow up...
                    Indeed, the working title was Street Fighter 1989/1990 as I recall, but it's easy to see why Capcom moved away from the Street Fighter branding. As far as I can think both games weren't relinked until Final Fight 2 which had Chun Li and Guile in the background.

Can't think of any direct SF2 link or mention to FF. Once we get to the Alpha series then we have characters appearing in both franchises.
                    Last edited by S3M; 26-02-2019, 12:46.

Comment

Negative edge is great for specials into super cancels. You can special by pressing, then super by releasing - all in one button press. Sometimes it's too clunky having to time two seperate button presses within a quarter of a second (or less).

As someone said earlier, the trials become 100% easier with this knowledge under your belt. You can also rip open 1-frame links and use it to buy yourself a bigger execution window. All the best/efficient combos in these games that everyone must learn if they want to get good and stand a chance in an arcade (the bread&butter combos) usually revolve around two frame links, some even one frame. The execution is very, very strict; so you need all the help you can get.

It took me nearly two whole weeks of roughly six hours a day to earn maybe a 10% success rate with one of Dudley's one-frame link combos (thankfully just a show-boater, not a B&B). After having to unlearn the inputs and relearn for negative edge I was able to bring it up to something like a one-in-three chance after just a couple of days.

Then that's when I quit playing.
                      Last edited by dataDave; 26-02-2019, 14:55.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                        Also “Pianoing” is just a way of holding a control pad, so that it mimics a joystick. It was invented upon the release of the Capcom Pad Soldier, which was designed to be used in that way.
                        Pianoing was explained to me as being the process if inputting two (or more) slightly staggered button presses instead of just pressing (or releasing) once with one button, like you would playing a fast melody on a piano - you increase the chance of successfully connecting that one-frame link by 100% for each addition button press, then an additional 100% for each release on top of that.

I wasted so many days/weeks trying to perfect combos by simply tapping buttons at the right time. Trying to master even basic bnb combos this way will have most people quitting the game as it's just not humanly possible to successfully trigger an action within a 16.6ms window repeatedly and reliably. Not without incorporating the tools required to increase that window at least.

Comment

Here's a good explanation: http://3sdojo.weebly.com/blog/negati...ummingpianoing

Comment

This week twenty-nine years ago, the first Street Fighter was released in arcades. There was Ken, Ryu, and some very different buttons.

Comment

Please see my very first post in this thread a week ago.

Comment

Please see my very first post in this thread a week ago.
                                Here comes a new challenger!

Forward, quarter circle + FP!
                                Last edited by Zaki; 26-02-2019, 20:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X