Street Fighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Street Fighter

Been playing this for the first time on the street fighter anniversary collection and it has to be one of the worst games I have ever played. The controls are completely broken and pulling off any special moves seems to be more down to luck than skill and the difficulty level is brutal, been trying to beat Sagat for the last hour and have been close to throwing the controller at the TV in frustration as I cant pull off any moves and I get beaten after two hits. Quite shocking how this and Street Fighter 2 are in the same series considering the huge difference in quality.

Street Fighter definitely hasn't aged well (especially in light of its ground-breaking sequel) but it is a bit of a stretch to call it one of the worst games ever, no? For one thing, the SFII games used Capcom's legendary CPS-I and CPS-II arcade tech whereas the original SF was created several years before that with an inferior arcade board.

Interestingly enough, the original Street Fighter coin-op machine used pressure-sensitive pads to register button presses and hits and definitely wasn't suited to the now-iconic six button control scheme that the sequels went on to use, which might well explain why it controlled so poorly even with the more traditional setup.

This week twenty-nine years ago, the first Street Fighter was released in arcades. There was Ken, Ryu, and some very different buttons.
    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 19-02-2019, 10:39.

Comment

Yeah, I think the thing to remember is that Street Fighter came out before SF2 and a lot of SNK games so we didn't have those to compare it to. I realise that's obvious but it's of huge importance. Fighting games were really taking baby steps until SF2 came along. The original SF is not a fantastic game and nobody ever thought it was a fantastic game, even back in the day, but I did play it a lot and got quite a bit of enjoyment from it. But SF2 changed everything. It's funny because when I first saw SF2 running, my first thought was that it was a total Street Fighter rip-off. Then I saw what the game actually was and had to have a go.

Also worth noting that, following on from those early fighting games, SF2 took some time to get used to. Especially as few of us knew how the special moves worked, their input timing being very different to how the moves worked in the first SF. SF2 looked amazing but it required some time investment. It's different now because so many games based themselves around SF2 and a generation has grown up with that. But put that same time investment that we had to with SF2 and you'd find that SF1 at least has something to offer.

But it was never a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
        Street Fighter definitely hasn't aged well (especially in light of its ground-breaking sequel) but it is a bit of a stretch to call it one of the worst games ever, no? For one thing, the SFII games used Capcom's legendary CPS-I and CPS-II arcade tech whereas the original SF was created several years before that with an inferior arcade board.
        No it really is one of the worst games I have ever played, as I said the controls are completely broken and special attacks are way too over powered. I understand its historical importance and that its unfair to compare the game to SF2 or any modern 1-on-1 fighters, but theres nothing at all memorable about the game, and I had no fun at all playing it and this is one of the only games that I have played that made me want to hurl my controller. I beat Sagat in the end but I have no desire to ever play the game again.

Comment

Prior to SF coming out, you had Karate Champ and Yie Ar Kung Fu, Renegade, and maybe Double Dragon (not sure on the timings). Not much in the way of inspiration, especially in the 1 v 1 stakes. Definitely will agree about the timings needed to pull off the special moves though, it's ludicrous!
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Also important to note that, at least over here, the special moves were not on the cab. Not a lot of people knew how to pull them off. They were special moves and overpowered because they really were special. As for the timing, the big trick with the SF1 special moves is realising that the timing of the move is based on when you let go of the button rather than when you press it. It's still hard though!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              As for the timing, the big trick with the SF1 special moves is realising that the timing of the move is based on when you let go of the button rather than when you press it. It's still hard though!
              A feature that was retained into II and beyond. It's actually really useful, though it's interesting to see how people react on III or IV when they learn that for the first time!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                A feature that was retained into II and beyond. It's actually really useful, though it's interesting to see how people react on III or IV when they learn that for the first time!
                Negative edge I assume?

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                  Negative edge I assume?
                  Yeah. Also a good reason to have a stick with micro-switched buttons.

Comment

You know, while I’m aware of what that is I can’t say I’ve especially utilised it when playing fighters.

Might have to play around with that next time I boot my CPS3.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                      No it really is one of the worst games I have ever played, as I said the controls are completely broken and special attacks are way too over powered. I understand its historical importance and that its unfair to compare the game to SF2 or any modern 1-on-1 fighters, but theres nothing at all memorable about the game, and I had no fun at all playing it and this is one of the only games that I have played that made me want to hurl my controller. I beat Sagat in the end but I have no desire to ever play the game again.
                      I never actually said that it was memorable or even that it was a fun game.

Like I said, the controls are broken because Capcom changed them from one thing to another without ever adapting them properly.

One of the worst games you've ever played? Fair enough but that sounds a lot like you've not actually played many games, to be fair. There are many, many games that are inherently worse, no?
                      Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 19-02-2019, 16:11. Reason: Reconsidered the tone and re-edited.

Comment

Wait, what?! Are you sure? I though that was the fundamental difference in the moves between 1 and 2. I don't have it handy right now to test but I'm almost certain that if I hold down the punch button on a hadoken input it will do the move because it activates on the press, not release. But not quite certain enough to say you're not right!

Comment

Don't know about SFIII or SFIV (mainly 'cos I'm not able to check for sure right now) but I could swear that SFII special moves don't actually work like that - they execute on the completion of the move at the button press. Will look into this though - I'm intrigued.

[MENTION=2732]J0e Musashi[/MENTION]... you're actually playing a fair chunk of SFII at present. What say you?
                          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 19-02-2019, 16:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            Wait, what?! Are you sure? I though that was the fundamental difference in the moves between 1 and 2. I don't have it handy right now to test but I'm almost certain that if I hold down the punch button on a hadoken input it will do the move because it activates on the press, not release. But not quite certain enough to say you're not right!
                            It does both; it activates on a down-press or a release (which in fighting game terminology is called the "negative edge").

This is important because you can use this in some scenarios where you need a button-press faster than is easily possible (a release counts as a press). It's also part of "Pianoing", which in Street Fighter is rolling your three fingers across all three punches or all three kicks in quick succession (such as to do Chun Li's hyakuretsukyaku or Honda's slap) meaning that what feels like 3 inputs actually counts as 6.

This was an important skill in Super-II (maybe earlier ones too) for "reversal" moves, i.e. moves which come out on the frame when the character rises from the ground. These had very precise timing, so for Ryu when doing his dragon punch, the timing of the stick input was generous but the button input wasn't. By doing a "piano input" on the three punches, you basically get six opportunities to get it right.

These two things are among the reasons some players prefer sticks to pads that go beyond the general "I like the way it feels" reasons. For the record, this was less of an issue with IV, because the timing of that particular feature in IV is far more generous.

@Nu-Eclipse - sorry, I wasn't clear - as I said above, it works on press or release.
                            Last edited by Asura; 19-02-2019, 16:23.

Comment

Wow, I didn't know that at all. That's pretty cool. It's different in 1 because the special moves don't work on press, only on release. But I didn't know that about 2 at all. Feels like something I should have known given how much SF2 I played back in the day but there you go. Thanks for the explanation!

Comment

Working...
                              X