No announcement yet.

Street Fighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s 1/8 of a circle, not a quarter, you buffoon.

Go home and (continue) be(ing) a family man!

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
      Wow surprised about the lack of knowledge about the original Street Fighter here, it was a terrible game and the original arcade used pressure pads that saw players start to injury themselves. Don't think we got those cabinets in Europe, the game itself was a flop, hence why you rarely ever see any arcades of it around these days and even Capcom realised what a bad game it was.
      I saw the 'pressure pads' machine a couple of times back in the day and had a go. I didn't think it was a fun game at all.

Originally posted by S3M View Post
      The end result was Street Fighter II and it's one of gaming best rise from the ashes stories.
      It really is amazing how the developer got things 100% right in all areas. The graphics, character design, feel of the game, special moves, music, sound effects -- all perfect. Creative and technical skill was at a high point across the industry during that period[1989-1993]. 16-bit tech really inspired developers and led to beautiful games that also played really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
        Creative and technical skill was at a high point across the industry during that period[1989-1993].
        Sorry to be "this guy...", but I would dispute that.

I think the 16-bit era certainly showed how, in some areas, gaming showed a hitherto unseen set of skills in art, design, even programming (though there is something to be said for the intense optimisation knowledge of the eras that came before, just getting something playable to run on those older machines).

However, I think the 16-bit era was where we started to see the gap in the industry, between the truly skilled and less skilled developers. This is because the gamut between the better 16-bit games and worse ones is just enormous; the recent "playing all fighting games" thread created by [MENTION=16705]Samuray[/MENTION] is a great example of this.

Given, this would become even wider in the era that followed (the fledgeling CD-gaming era, with its interactive movies and stuff like the CDi may have been the nadir) but I just don't feel that this was an industry-wide high point. That being said, I would struggle to decide when such a time was.

16-bit tech really inspired developers and led to beautiful games that also played really well.
        However, I would definitely agree with this. The fact that games like Sonic 3, or Secret of Mana, or countless other games exist which all look great and, most importantly, all look different, with a unique visual style, was a real selling point. Artists, musicians, designers, programmers - they finally had the hardware to realise a vision, limited though it had to be, which was uniquely theirs and not just an also-ran.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Sorry to be "this guy...", but I would dispute that.

I think the 16-bit era certainly showed how, in some areas, gaming showed a hitherto unseen set of skills in art, design, even programming (though there is something to be said for the intense optimisation knowledge of the eras that came before, just getting something playable to run on those older machines).

However, I think the 16-bit era was where we started to see the gap in the industry, between the truly skilled and less skilled developers. This is because the gamut between the better 16-bit games and worse ones is just enormous; the recent "playing all fighting games" thread created by @Samuray is a great example of this.
          I will stand by my belief that the 16-bit era[say 88-94] was a high point for creativity and technical prowess. But as with any era of gaming, crafting playability isn't easy. So you have plenty of 16-bit games that just don't feel right, or have serious gameplay issues. But you could say the same for many games from the 32-bit era onwards.

Also, I think a lot of 16-bit developers often had good artists and musicians, but they didn't have someone who knew how to put a game together well so it felt really fun to play. I think that's also the same with later generations -- you often have a problem with the feel or gameplay design that breaks the overall experience.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          However, I would definitely agree with this. The fact that games like Sonic 3, or Secret of Mana, or countless other games exist which all look great and, most importantly, all look different, with a unique visual style, was a real selling point. Artists, musicians, designers, programmers - they finally had the hardware to realise a vision, limited though it had to be, which was uniquely theirs and not just an also-ran.
          As much as I can see why lots of people love the charm of graphics on 8-bit systems, 16-bit tech allowed developers to really go to town with animation, detail, and colour. Just look at what Capcom & Konami delivered during the 16-bit era.

What I've always loved about SF2, is it really took advantage of the power afforded by top end 16-bit tech. Big bold sprites, detailed animation, fluid gameplay, arresting soundtrack, meaty sound effects etc... The developer was truly inspired by 16-bit technology. The same can be see with the creative flair seen in many other 16-bit titles.

So as much as I can appreciate why some people have more nostalgia and fondness for the extremely abstract and far more simplistic 8-bit era of gaming, because there's definitely something very striking and magical about some classic 8-bit titles, the 16-bit era enthuses me more because there's just so much flair and exuberance. 16-bit era gaming will probably always be my favourite.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 27-02-2019, 09:07.

Comment

Working...
          X