i3-4330T or i5-3570S - For emulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Escape-To-88 View Post
    You can run decent shaders on a Shield now. All the ones on my 4.5ghz i7 gaming PC run on the shield thanks to Vulkan so GPU isn't much of a consideration unless you want to run at higher res'.

I've linked before which shows a cheap £70 Optiplex running everything up to PS2 and Gamecube pretty much perfectly with an old 1gb Radeon. In fact the new PC I've built uses a similar spec and cost £70 shipped. It will run everything I need in my Astro cab perfectly.
    I read that the Intel HD Graphics 4600 is similar to a GeForce 730. The 4th Gen i3 processors are said to be good for Dolphin, with better performance than a 3rd Gen i5. I know they're all old tech but still decent for emulation.

So if you managed to get Dolphin & PCSX2 running well on an old Optiplex, I think there's a chance I'll be able to get good performance out of the tiny computer I've bought.

I bought it because it's tiny[7"x7"] and I want to see what I can do with it. I'm not interested in shaders -- I'll probably just run the machine in 640x480 or maybe 720p -- and have scanlines to make things look reasonable. I think that will really help with performance.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-03-2019, 09:56.

Comment

What resolution is the display going to be? Unless it's 1440p scanlines are going to look atrocious due to the offset with integer scaling, and the only way around that is going to be to not run in full-screen.

Obviously for GCN and most of the PS2 stuff you'll want to be avoiding scanlines completely anyway.
      Last edited by dataDave; 01-03-2019, 11:41.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        What resolution is the display going to be? Unless it's 1440p scanlines are going to look atrocious due to the offset with integer scaling, and the only way around that is going to be to not run in full-screen.

Obviously for GCN and most of the PS2 stuff you'll want to be avoiding scanlines completely anyway.
        I have a 1600x1200 4:3 Dell LCD monitor that I'm thinking of using. Or I might plug it into the VGA port of my TV that accepts all sorts of resolutions. I have an SLG3000 scanline generator that likes 640x480, so I might choose that.

I think some people still use machines like the GameCube and PS2 on a CRT, which is what I used back in the day. I might use scanlines with emulators for those machines.

My main concern was choosing between the i3 & i5. After a bit of investigating, I decided the newer i3 processor should perform better overall. It's a tiny computer so I'll just have to hope the onboard Intel HD 4600 does a decent job of helping to get emulated games running reasonably without any shaders/filters.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 01-03-2019, 13:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          I think some people still use machines like the GameCube and PS2 on a CRT, which is what I used back in the day. I might use scanlines with emulators for those machines.
          My Wii (doubling as a GameCube) and PS2 are currently hooked up to a PVM. If the current game is outputting 480 resolution you aren't going to see any scanlines.

Comment

My Wii (doubling as a GameCube) and PS2 are currently hooked up to a PVM. If the current game is outputting 480 resolution you aren't going to see any scanlines.
            When I upscale PS2 games, I don't need to turn scanlines on. But I think the image looks better with scanlines when using 480i. The Dreamcast using VGA and the Xbox and GameCube using Component 480p look fine without scanlines.

When emulating games, I will probably just use scanlines for machines up to the PS1. Maybe later machines will look fine emulated at native or x2 resolution without scanlines. I'll see what looks best.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
              I would be curious to see how that performs with Third Strike, the arcade feels like it has zero input latency built in by design.
              CPS-III into a CRT = 3.6 frames.

Also, what do you mean by run ahead anticipating inputs? You can set the value to minus I believe, but it kind of caps at 1 frame I think.

I'm too dumb to think about things any deeper than that. I fully understand how a Tesla can compute its surroundings at 1,000FPS and anticipate accidents (and then go on to avoid them), but when it comes to video games anticipating what button you're going to press it makes my head hurt.

Comment

CPS-III into a CRT = 3.6 frames.

Also, what do you mean by run ahead anticipating inputs? You can set the value to minus I believe, but it kind of caps at 1 frame I think.

I'm too dumb to think about things any deeper than that. I fully understand how a Tesla can compute its surroundings at 1,000FPS and anticipate accidents (and then go on to avoid them), but when it comes to video games anticipating what button you're going to press it makes my head hurt.
                That was a joke of sorts. Like if you can reduce input lag from say 10 frames to 3 then what if you could reduce it further, to a negative figure.

Comment

I LOVE how [MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION] gave that some serious consideration. It's the FUTURE

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                    I LOVE how [MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION] gave that some serious consideration. It's the FUTURE
                    "Speculative frames" are actually a thing! https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-...logy-explained

Thinking deeper about it Sanwa or Seimatsu could kind of engineer some heat/pressure sensitive buttons which can pick up that you're about to apply enough pressure to fully press the button, negating the latency involved with the motor action itself. The control panel would probably need some cameras as well to track finger movements. Stupidly expensive (considering you'd need hefty hardware to process all this bollocks), and not really worth it at all for shaving off a frame or two when you can just emulate with run-ahead on a 15hz-capable graphics card going into a CRT.

Comment

Nerd levels approaching critical levels!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        Nerd levels approaching critical levels!

Comment

Working...
                        X