New Graphics Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Graphics Card

Thinking about replacing my GTX 970, want a mid range 4k capable card for around £300. Is that do able these days?

I used to always go with Nvidia based but there seems to be a multitude of models now and they appear to have gotten alot more expensive. Are AMDs any good these days? Any advice would be appreciated.

Can't speak for AMD's but from my understanding the gains you'd get from most cards wouldn't really be worth shelling out for unless you find something within budget that's equivalent of a GTX1080 or above

Comment

Thanks cheapest 1080s I can see are around £450 to £500. Might see if I can pickup a refurb.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
        Thinking about replacing my GTX 970, want a mid range 4k capable card for around £300. Is that do able these days?

I used to always go with Nvidia based but there seems to be a multitude of models now and they appear to have gotten alot more expensive. Are AMDs any good these days? Any advice would be appreciated.
        I'd honestly just save up a little more for a 1080Ti.

Comment

Anyone got any views on the AMD Vega cards?

Comment

Might be worth hanging on a wee while to see how AMDs forthcoming Navi GPUs perform. A recently leaked benchmark showed a 20CU Navi chip trading blows with a 36CU Polaris model. If that’s legit Navi based cards could be a bargain.
            Last edited by CMcK; 15-03-2019, 10:54.

Comment

In no rush, so hanging on isn't an issue. Any idea how long we're talking?

Comment

I think your best options if buying now are an Nvidia RTX 2060 (There are a few at £300 atm) or a AMD Vega 56. The 2060 is slightly faster, will run cooler and have RTX/DLSS. Both cards have free game promotions on atm. Both cards are really midrange and will struggle with 4K maximum with the latest games (unfortunately high-end GPU prices are now insane).

My guess is you're looking at 20-35% perf. increase on the 970 so not huge.

The older 1080 series cards seem to be going for silly money secondhand because of the popularity of those cards and the insane new prices as old stock dries up. I personally wouldn't consider a 1080 at over £250 s/h.
                Last edited by Digfox; 15-03-2019, 11:08.

Comment

Yeah, prices seem to have shot up, especially Nvidia stuff. So would the 2060 do 4k at mid-high settings?

Comment

There's a reasonable 4K benchmark summary here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...enchmarks-7001

I have 1070 laptop with 1440p monitor so I don't have any personal experience of that config.

I suspect that it depends on what you're playing and what you're expectations on frame rates are. eSports/f2p sort of stuff is going to easily be 4K over 60fps. But with newer multiplatform stuff you may struggle to get close to 4k/60fps.

Comment

If I were you I’d go for a 2060 too. Great power consumption and performance on that card. Won’t be pushing flagship titles at 4K maxed out but you’re priced out on that budget. I used to have a 970 and my 1070 Ti (similar performance to the 2060) was a very nice upgrade.

Comment

OK thanks all, will look into a 2060, price point seems to be about right. Not worried about ultra settings etc. Just be nice to use the full 4k res of my TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                          There's a reasonable 4K benchmark summary here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...enchmarks-7001

I have 1070 laptop with 1440p monitor so I don't have any personal experience of that config.

I suspect that it depends on what you're playing and what you're expectations on frame rates are. eSports/f2p sort of stuff is going to easily be 4K over 60fps. But with newer multiplatform stuff you may struggle to get close to 4k/60fps.
                          That links really helpful thanks, looks like decent performance at 4k on the 2060. All the tests were done with ultra and really high settings, so i'd imagine dropping these slightly will give it a bit more of a boost.

Comment

Only thing is that we don't know what Navi is as per the earlier point. Although AMD with Vega have not fought on price, i.e. Vega 56/64 and 7 have all been at pretty much the same price as their Nvidia counterparts. Maybe Navi changes that but who knows.

Although if you get a Nvidia 2060 c.£300 I think that's a reasonable purchase. The 970 should get about £80-100+ back (depending on condition/model) on eBay too.

Comment

Navi based cards are likely to launch late summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X