Retro Arena: 32-bit era consoles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    One of the best 2 player games ever made and also the best Track and Field game ever made.
    Call me strange but the best Track and Field game is, in my opinion, Track and Field.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
      Call me strange but the best Track and Field game is, in my opinion, Track and Field.
      That's fine I loved that game, and me and one of my mates till play the game from time to time via emu on the Original OG XBox. I just feel Decathlete is better and I love the madness behind the characters.

For me, the best Konami track and field game was their International Track & Field 2000 on the PS2. I never really forget that title, not only because it was a fab and totally brilliant game, but when my mate 1st got on his PS2, it was for the 1st time where I thought to myself the DC couldn't handle that ammount of polygons and was for me, the every 1st game to show off the power of the PS2.

Comment

Well, technically there's only 2 races in the actual game .
        100 meters, 400 meters and 1500 meters, so as I said, two too many
        It's bright colourful, easy to learn and really satisfying when you break a world record.
        I just got rid of the Japanese version I had as I found the menus a little too confusion. Stuck with Athlete Kings (which I know is missing the extra character). I'm a big fan of Winter Heat as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
          100 meters, 400 meters and 1500 meters, .
          Well if one button bashed in 1500 you wouldn't get very far . I get the point though, but the game was like Sensible Soccer for me; in that, it had its own style, its own take/look on the sport it was portraying and where both were so easy to pick and play and both had perfect controls. So anyone could pick up the pad, learn the controls and be half decent at the game So not only could you have fun but could have a good game too even if you never played it before. That's for me what made it so good, along with the sheer madness for the character designs and their poses

Decathlete came out at a great time too, when I was making new friends in work, my original circle of mates were also making new friends in Uni/College and where we would all meet up over the weekend and just have huge gaming sessions, before we went out on the pi*s (if we made it out at all)

I see Game sack just done a vid on the game too

Comment

God, Sega Saturn US boxes are ugly. Art is usually atrocious on them as well.

Comment

God, Sega Saturn US boxes are ugly. Art is usually atrocious on them as well.
              Yep, all had horrible USA artwork (just like the Mega Drive) and came in the oversized cases. Still better than the sh8T early Pal cases mind. I always liked the double Jewel cases of Pal 3DO and Mega CD games the best, Japanese GameCube cases were really nice too

Comment

100 meters, 400 meters and 1500 meters, so as I said, two too many
                Your statement brought back a memory of being round a mate’s house, playing Decathlon on his 2600. Already suffering a knackered wrist from those overly-stiff sticks of the old Atari, I remember the next event coming up and it was... 10,000 metres. That killed.

Comment

I’ve never been able to understand the logic behind those oversized Saturn / Mega CD jewel cases… yeah, you want things to stand out on the shelf, but even at the time it must have been apparent how brittle they are.

PAL Saturn cases are even more mind boggling though; there aren’t words to describe how appalling they are.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                    I’ve never been able to understand the logic behind those oversized Saturn / Mega CD jewel cases… yeah, you want things to stand out on the shelf, but even at the time it must have been apparent how brittle they are.

PAL Saturn cases are even more mind boggling though; there aren’t words to describe how appalling they are.
                    Yeah, it's a very odd period. I hate those Pal boxes with a passion. Luckily most of the great Pal games I own came late in the machine's life so they're in plastic cases.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                      I could never understand any of the actions via SEGA Europe or America in the 32bit era, they were run by a bunch of losers and the less said about the lying, spinning Tom Kalinske the better (SEGA could have had the PS.. my Ass SEGA could)

Sure, I know Bernie never had his fans and I'll always dislike him for his actions over Grandia and Working Designs Ect... but his handling of the DC launch was so much better. SOA focused on one system, Sports games sorted and even getting the game cases right, thanks to lovely Japanese Artwork used on the outside and inside of the cases (something, not even SOJ did) the use of standard Jewel cases by SOA at long last.

Sadly it was the time for SOJ to screw up a system launch with the dreadful handling of the Japanese DC launch and the less said about the baboon JF Cecillon and Sega Europe the better... Terrible game cases (again) terrible PR, terrible internet strategy and spending all the money on Football teams shirt sponsorship, without a decent footy game to back it up.

Comment

not even SOJ did) the use of standard Jewel cases by SOA at long last.
                        I prefer jewel cases over what we got with the Dreamcast in Europe, but I like DVD or Mega Drive cases more. Indie Dreamcast games often come in DVD cases and look good. But something chunkier like an MD case but for CD/DVDs would be ideal to make them feel a bit more special.

without a decent footy game to back it up.
                        Yeah, Virtua Striker was never going to lure people away from FIFA or ISS.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 09-04-2019, 11:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          I prefer jewel cases over what we got with the Dreamcast in Europe.
                          They were horrid. Like I said I loved the double sided Pal 3DO and Mega CD cases the best.

Yeah, Virtua Striker was never going to lure people away from FIFA
                          SEGA World Wide Euro Ed was ok, but it was rushed out and looked like crap. More work should be put on the title and maybe even looked to SOJ to allow the use of the Virtua Striker engines to help matters. Since it wasn't a Naka-san engine it might have been ok, then again Nagoshi-san is an arrogant tw&t as well

Comment

SEGA World Wide Euro Ed was ok,
                            I have fond memories of enjoying Euro 2000. It was a bit dodgy gameplay wise, but I liked the way it all had a hi-res sheen. There was something fun about it -- and it had a certain British charm I appreciated.

Comment

While we're talking about football games, Nakamura and myself played Hat Trick Hero on Saturn last week. That's stupidly silly fun.

Comment

1080° is probably still the best snowboarding game I’ve played to date, I never really clicked with Cool Boarders. I really wanted Sin & Punishment at the time but didn’t get to play it until a few years later. Still, it was worth waiting for, fantastic experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X