Retro Arena: 32-bit era consoles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I like the look of the original Japanese launch model myself, but I had issues with getting it double switched (the 50/60 Hz) but it's the Saturn I use the most and it's my original launch model which I bought from Lee way back in 94 and it still works fine
    Thanks Ta.

Comment

Yeah, you can get a PAL Saturn modded for 60hz. If you’re just going to be playing Japanese software though, might as well get a JPN one. They look nicer, too (there are a few options - grey and blue, white and red, and the more expensive transparent black models).

Comment

If you're talking about top 10-15 games, then the N64 takes the crown. Its best games are better than the best on the Playstation.

However, for a top 50 or so, the PS wins out - there are just more good PS games than N64 games.

I didn't get a Saturn until about 2007, so I can't judge it in context, but when I set it up now, I usually end up just playing Manx TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Marius View Post
          If you're talking about top 10-15 games, then the N64 takes the crown. Its best games are better than the best on the Playstation.

However, for a top 50 or so, the PS wins out - there are just more good PS games than N64 games.

I didn't get a Saturn until about 2007, so I can't judge it in context, but when I set it up now, I usually end up just playing Manx TT.
          I've never agreed with this personally. The best game on the system is Ocarina of Time but I wouldn't put it above the best on PSX or Saturn.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
            The Jag-what?

True 64-bit gaming. The CD add-on looks like a toilet.

It's not a bad machine though. AvP and Doom are impressive.

@Team Andromeda

You win... I need to buy a couple more. The Victor Saturn looks nice.

There are definitely certain N64 games that really stand out as something special. I'd say there were around 15-20 N64 games back in the day that clearly showed the good aspects of the N64 tech and were fun to play.

When it comes to having a huge library of good to excellent games though, the N64 fails where the PlayStation and Saturn excel.

I have great memories of the N64, simply because its best games really were excellent.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 18-03-2019, 00:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
              I've never agreed with this personally. The best game on the system is Ocarina of Time but I wouldn't put it above the best on PSX or Saturn.
              For me, the best game on the system is Wave Race.

Comment

I never got on with that for some reason, not sure why. I think I've mentioned this before but I bloody love Snowboard kids

Comment

Saturn > N64 > PS1

An amazing gen all round but the PS1 hysteria helped make it such a cultural moment in gaming that it over coloured its contributions for me. Physically it's the ugliest console of the three and games wise it's great thanks to the sheer volume of titles it enjoyed but Saturn and N64 delivered more with less over the course of their lives for me and whilst I fondly remember many PS1 games I'd be more likely to return to Saturn and N64 titles.

Comment

PlayStation.

Saturn missed the boat by being 2D in a 3D world.
                    N64 was more kiddy games.

I mean, I'd raided tombs with Lara, then when I played Ocarina of time, everything was so muddy and brown and foggy.

I had a PS1 and only ever had console-envy with Goldeneye.

Other than that, PS1 had not only a wider variety of games, but more games I wanted to play.

Comment

While the PS1 dominated and eventually became my machine of choice when the Saturn releases dried up, the Saturn is easily my favourite. It has so many games I love. It wowed me right away with Panzer Dragoon and then with how perfect Street Fighter Alpha was on it and, while some early games were hammered badly by PAL conversions (Daytona), the games continued to impress me. Panzer Dragoon Zwei is the best in its genre, in my opinion. And even smaller gems like Keio Flying Squadron 2 were brilliant.

It obviously outperformed the PS1 when it comes to 2D games, especially the Capcom fighters which were a big deal for me back in the day, but I’d also reject the idea that it couldn’t perform as a 3D machine. While coders might have had to perform tricks to do it, I think the limits of its 3D weren’t as bad as the memory limits that hampered 2D on the PS1. What I mean is that the missing frames on something like SFA2 bother me more than the difference in 3D between PS1 and Saturn Tomb Raider, for example. It’s not like 3D looked especially gorgeous on PS1 with its texture warping and cracks anyway.

In 3D, I far preferred Exhumed on the Saturn compared with the PS1 just as one example. The handling on the original Wipeout was improved on the Saturn, just to name another example. When games were downgraded, it was rarely substantial to have any effect on the gameplay. The Saturn delivered plenty of 3D games.

And we got Nights, a bunch of great RPGs and, yeah, a wealth of fighting games. And the Saturn pad is still my favourite game pad after all these years. So yes, Saturn wins for me.

But I grew to love my PS1 and obviously its catalogue of games grew and delivered pretty much everything anyone could want.

The N64 gave me very little, being honest. It is the Nintendo system I have the least connection with. Love the Zelda games, love Mario 64 and after that I’m struggling to find games that I enjoyed. I still have it in an attic somewhere but it’s the classic console that pretty much never gets taken out.

Comment

That is ace, but I think Pilotwings 64 was my fav N64 game with Conkers, Mario Kart 64 and Golden Eye not too far behind. In fact Pilotwings 64 is a game I like to play at least once a month, its Nintendo gameplay perfection

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          Which of these consoles from the 32-bit era do you like the most?
                          No preamble this week? No foreplay?

Comment

I was playing it the other day -- and it's still a game that grabs me and I end up playing it for an hour or two. The overall design gels together so well to deliver a really attractive, uplifting experience. The water physics and the way it feels to play has never been matched -- it's still an intense(on the higher difficulty) experience and a whole lot of fun.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post

but the PS1 hysteria helped make it such a cultural moment in gaming that it over coloured its contributions for me.
                            The PS1 definitely had a more 'mainstream' vibe about it next to the Saturn and N64. That was down to the machine's immense success from the off and how it attracted so many developers producing all sorts of games of varying quality. The machine didn't have any mystique about it -- it just delivered loads of top quality games that appealed to all sorts of people. I see it as the console that set the blueprint for modern gaming.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            PlayStation.

Saturn missed the boat by being 2D in a 3D world.
                            N64 was more kiddy games.

I mean, I'd raided tombs with Lara, then when I played Ocarina of time, everything was so muddy and brown and foggy.

I had a PS1 and only ever had console-envy with Goldeneye.

Other than that, PS1 had not only a wider variety of games, but more games I wanted to play.
                            Well, I don't think it's fair to say the Saturn was a 2D machine. Sega Rally really showed off the 3D aspect of the machine. The Panzer Dragoon series has impressive 3D that really shows off the tech. Exhumed is also something special when it comes to 3D. It's just a fact that PlayStation was easier for devs to get to grips with when it comes to 3D.

Lots of developers have stated that the Saturn was a decent 3D machine, but they recognise how its architecture wasn't as easy to work with as the PlayStation's. So lots of developers loved the PS1 -- and the huge success of the machine made it the first choice for publishers.

I can easily see why lots of people don't feel they missed out by not having an N64. The PS1 had loads of great genre defining games that kept people happy and eager for more. The N64 didn't have loads of great games to really tempt people away from the PS1. The N64 did shine brightly at times, but they were few and far between. The PS1 was very much the 'must-have' console that generation.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post

It wowed me right away with Panzer Dragoon and then with how perfect Street Fighter Alpha was on it

And we got Nights, a bunch of great RPGs and, yeah, a wealth of fighting games. And the Saturn pad is still my favourite game pad after all these years. So yes, Saturn wins for me.
                            I think the idea that Daytona was rubbish really held the Saturn back. In reality -- it's a decent port in its original NTSC form. Sega Rally went on to change lots of people's negative opinion of the machine, but the damage had been done. The PS1 hadn't put a foot wrong, so was the console of choice in the West.

People who owned a Saturn knew it was a very capable 2D & 3D machine. The Panzer Dragoon series, Sega Rally, Exhumed, Nights etc... really show off the 3D side of things. All the 2D fighters and shoot 'em ups really shows off the 2D side of things.

As much as the machine had a tainted image in the West, in Japan it was a huge thing. There were top quality games that covered all genres. It's just a sad fact that Sega got a few things wrong in the West, which turned lots of people away from the machine.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            No preamble this week? No foreplay?
                            Well, there aren't any screenshots to gawp at. Nothing to get the nostalgic juices flowing.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-03-2019, 08:47.

Comment

Well, I don't think it's fair to say the Saturn was a 2D machine. Sega Rally really showed off the 3D aspect of the machine. The Panzer Dragoon series has impressive 3D that really shows off the tech. Exhumed is also something special when it comes to 3D.

Lots of developers have stated that the Saturn was a decent 3D machine, but they recognise how its architecture wasn't as easy to get to grips with as the PlayStation's. So lots of developers loved the PS1 and the huge success of the machine made it the first choice of publishers.
                              You see the same sort of stuff from people who say the PS couldn't do 2D. It could do perfectly accepted and quite lovely 2D, just not as good as the Saturn. For the Saturn it was much the same for 3D, It could do perfectly accepted and quite lovely 3D, just not as good as the PS.

I think the biggest issue for Saturn 3D games was the lack of Hardware support for a 3D transparent polygon, which made so many PS games look a lot better, just becasue of its lovely transparent effects.

Other than Mario 64 and a couple of games like Wave Race I found N64 3D to be the biggest letdown with a horrible blurry, washed out display, super low texturs and screen res and so many games not even hit 30 fps, never mind 60 fps.

Comment

I think the idea that Daytona was rubbish really held the Saturn back. In reality -- it's a decent port in its original NTSC form.
                                Yep, I think you're right. And even presented in a pretty terrible form here, it was still a really enjoyable game. I think you're right - had the PAL conversion been better, the early perception could have been quite different.

Comment

Working...
                                X