No announcement yet.

Google Stadia: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some upsides I suppose, like no 80GB downloads and it should eliminate avenues for cheating, given you don't have access to the hardware - but then that brings a negative with it - one of the upsides of PC gaming is the ability to mod, so no modding your games here.

No mention of pricing, and that is going to be what makes or breaks it (well that and lag and reliability). If publishers are still expecting £50-60 + season passes just for permission to stream a new release then they can suck the sweat off ancient donkey balls. An all you can eat Game Pass like £8 a month and maybe it'll be more enticing. Maybe they can supplement the costs by having ad breaks mid game, just like on YouTube.

It's going to be an absolutely massive DDoS target.

Just seen the Digital Foundry vid on this, input latency is about double streaming compared to a 60 fps local PC.
    Last edited by MartyG; 19-03-2019, 19:02.

Comment

On ResetEra it's been posted that it will be launched on Google Pixel devices only. So no iOS, no iPad and not on any other Android device. If that is true then that is a killer. Also needs Chromecast too.

So big barriers for a service that shouldn't have any.

Comment

For me, I don't like the controller.

It's impractically large.

Comment

Are you sure? Phil Harrison would never lie about controllers.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            It's impractically large.

Not the title of your sex tape

Comment

Terrible name, sounds like a coffee sweetener

I mean, I need to read up more but so far it just sounds... just utterly redundant. Something that is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist and exists purely to exist as though launching a streaming service is enough. Definitely dead like Ouya in little time at all.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post

Not the title of your sex tape
                That's brutal, Justin.

Comment

I think the controller is nicer than that original concept design.

I think the tech is interesting enough and they have the backbone of data centers to deliver it well.

I think only 1-2% of current gamers would have the bandwidth to run anything streamed in 4k60 with respectable latency.

Guess we will see just how much of a market there is for it.

Comment

If there's not, it'll join these other Google projects

There's no way I would "buy" games on this platform.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      That's brutal, Justin.
                      Top bants!!

Comment

The tech 'sounds' mighty, could be a bit of a game changer if the tech works

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                          I think the controller is nicer than that original concept design.
                          I think the tech is interesting enough and they have the backbone of data centers to deliver it well.
                          I think only 1-2% of current gamers would have the bandwidth to run anything streamed in 4k60 with respectable latency.
                          Guess we will see just how much of a market there is for it.
                          I don't think this is aimed at gamers, but to the general public, those unwilling or unable to invest in a console but have access to a PC or smartphone and want to play something when they have some spare time. They won't really care about 60fps or latency because I'm pretty sure DMC5 or Bayonetta won't end up on this platform, and people partaking into the platform won't really care about such titles.

Comment

I think there just isn't much to get excited about with this platform and they've jumped out of the gate to be first to market.

We all know MS will discuss their identical offering imminently but to me it's a more complete proposition. In comparison xCloud is more another cog in the machine built on top of more traditional options but Stadia is literally eggs in one basket.

MS in comparison will have a standard console, a digital only console (no optical media but titles can be downloaded), a subscription service for games with downloading supported and then a streaming service the same as Stadia.

All of which will have a back catalogue of games spanning 3 generations or more right from the start and more exclusives coming.

To me this Stadia is a non starter given it has no exclusives right now.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                              I think there just isn't much to get excited about with this platform and they've jumped out of the gate to be first to market.
                              Pretty sure OnLive got there first.

Comment

Yeah, I just read Eurogamers article about it where they talk about Stadias latency and compression issues being offset by the benefits of things like not being bound by disc size limitations but that's a false statement. Unless Google plans to create AAA content or sign up such exclusives (no signs of that) it's dependent on third party software that could only ignore those limitations in their game design if they opted not to release on console which in most cases they're not going to do. I think once you factor in the realities of most markets and devices eco systems and user bases you have a much more advanced version of Ouya... but still Ouya all the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X