Google Stadia: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
    Lol. According to reddit, it is meant to be a survey.
    If that's the case, Google screwed that up too. That's the message in its entirety, there are no links in it.

Comment

Destiny 2 still seems to be Stadia's most popular game though player counts have halved

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
        https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...ce-launch/amp/

Destiny 2 still seems to be Stadia's most popular game though player counts have halved
        That'll drop to single figures when Stadia's free Pro subscription expires the first part of next month and Google expect people to pay £10 a month for it (no it isn't worth it before you ask).

I had a brief look to see what they added to the ProSub this month (Shadow of the Tomb Raider & Thumper) but haven't touched it other than that. Why would I when every other platform gives a better experience.

They need to make this all you can eat because it'll be dead by the end of the year otherwise and probably sooner than that.

Edit - I was just searching for Google Stadia articles and wasn't getting much from recently. Realised that I was using Google's search and thought maybe they're filtering results just for positive articles, but using Bing and DuckDuckGo the results are similar; virtually no media outlet is writing articles about it, so it's dead in the games press already.
        Last edited by MartyG; 05-01-2020, 09:16.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
          They need to make this all you can eat because it'll be dead by the end of the year otherwise and probably sooner than that.
          Not disagreeing with you but I'd also say that the big change is being available on ALL devices. So it's needs a Chrome, iOS and Android client ASAP.

People make the point Stadia costs £130 upfront in hardware to even use at the moment and whilst that's incorrect factually, it kind of isn't at the same time. At the moment that barrier to entry is too much.

Comment

Stadia is promising 10 timed exclusives. But the part that annoys me is that they are paying developers to delay release on other consoles. This is obviously what happens with timed exclusives, but with Google is clear that, with all the cash they have, they are basically spending to squash the competition. They don't need to offer a better product, just throw money around and jam the competition.

Comment

So pretty much what Epic is doing. And of course that turned out great.

Comment

Epic Games Store tops $680 million in player spending.
                Epic Games today offered an update on the growth of the Epic Games Store. Launched in December of 2018, the store to-da…

Damn epic game store, such a failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                  Epic Games today offered an update on the growth of the Epic Games Store. Launched in December of 2018, the store to-da…

That's the thing. It's an inferior product but because they have the money, they can get the exclusives and draw user spending. These days you don't need to make a good product, just have more money than the competitors.

Comment

Personally I think criticism for platform holders and developers isn't unfair where timed exclusives are concerned. Ultimately they feel a cheap and nasty, very anti-consumer way to buy a library of titles. Also the cheapest way to gain content for your platform which require no long-term commitment from the platform holder.

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post

As an aside Massive caveats here, in this recent headline grabbing figure.
                    • Only 37% of the $680m wasn't Fortnite spending.
                    • We don't know the breakdowns of exclusivity payments but at the most basic assumption Epic would have made 12% of that $251m, equating to just $30m in revenue from third-party games.
                    • Again we don't know how much they Epic have spent on exclusives, but figures leaking from deals show around $10m to smaller developers. Given that they likely paid Ubisoft or T2 six figures sums the estimates of over $500m invested to date probably aren't far off. Excluding other costs such as servers, new staff and buying Psyonix (feels like a good move, not sure why Valve, MS or Sony didn't do this).
                    • Epic took the largest ever funding round (for a videogame developer) of $1.25bn to invest in this strategy. Showing just how expensive it is to launch a new platform.

I'm not saying that Google or even Epic aren't right to buy exclusives. However I understand the criticism.

Anyway none of the console fanboys on here can moan about waiting for these games, as this won't require any spend on new hardware and it's just another icon on the desktop.

Last edited by Digfox; 17-01-2020, 11:29.

Comment

100% I think what's worked for Epic won't work for Stadia. Stadia is too compromised and unless they're throwing an unprofitably large amount of money at publishers for super high profile release then the current line up for Stadia suggests those exclusives won't be anything most care that much about.

I've claimed two games on Epic Launcher's free games and bought one and the experience has been fine. 100% won't be touching anything via Stadia though.

Comment

Following the announcement of next months two free games I tried to find out what the release schedule for Stadia is. I could only find four dated games in the next 8 months.

Comment

Metro Exodus and Gylt in February for the Pro Subscribers in Feb.

I cancelled the Pro Sub earlier this month before Google took money - apparently if you pick up the sub again, any claimed games will still be on your account, but I could in no way recommend anyone signs up for this, it's awful.

I give Stadia 2 frames per second out of 10.

Comment

Wasn't Gylt available at launch?

Comment

Stadia is the worst console ever. The Game.com is just flossing right now. No longer bottom of the table, baby!

Comment

Quick reminder - today is likely to be the last day of your included Stadia Pro subscription before Google charges you more money - now is the time to cancel it and forget this awful period in gaming history

Comment

Working...
                                X