No announcement yet.

Google Stadia: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negative latency I'd forgotten that one.

Originally posted by nonny
    To be honest MS have this right in not putting all their eggs in one basket and I've heard Phil Spencer say recently they want cloud to reach as many players as possible because it can, but the best place to play is still console... Which is why the Series S exists at such an attractive price point.

It's just a value add for them and almost an acknowledgement that whilst the tech will almost certainly improve over time it's still restricted by its inherent limitations.

Yeah, I totally agree. It's the right way of offering streaming as a product. The technology is no replacement for local computing as it stands (perhaps it won't ever be), but it can still offer a lot of value.

Microsoft's product is also much better value. You get a ton of bang for your £10.99 a month buck.

Comment

Currently selling for £20 on Google Store online.

If nothing else, worth it for the OG Chromecast Ultra - I'd be tempted if I didn't already have a Chromecast with Google TV.

Comment

Every time i see the thread bumped i’m surprised its not news of it being killed off.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
          Every time i see the thread bumped i’m surprised its not news of it being killed off.
          Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          Every time the thread gets bumped I genuinely expect to read it's been axed
          Just saying...

Comment

That’s three times already today I thought it’d been canned.

Comment

On the next episode of "Everybody in Bordersdown Forum gegging in on a joke Echo Chamber-style until it's no longer funny!"...

Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 22-12-2021, 18:24.

Comment

Paha genuinley also only click this thread expecting doom.

Comment

Guys. Please. Stop bumping this if it’s not dead. I don’t want any further posts in this thread until Stadia is fully dead.

Comment

According to RLLMUK this is the best way to play Cyberpunk if you don’t have a PC.

Comment

Ah what a forum, good one guys.

Comment

The lag hides all the assets loading in.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                          I thought this, but I'm wondering how much effort it is for google to keep it running? In layman's terms it's probably a section of servers in some huge building at youtube HQ. They're basically PC games which aren't going anywhere any time soon.

I guess if license and running costs are high and they're not making a profit they'll have to pull the plug. Google should embed these games in youtube to make it more accessible, with youtube premium members having ad free versions of the games.

Comment

What? I can still play it? Shock.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
                              I thought this, but I'm wondering how much effort it is for google to keep it running? In layman's terms it's probably a section of servers in some huge building at youtube HQ. They're basically PC games which aren't going anywhere any time soon.

I guess if license and running costs are high and they're not making a profit they'll have to pull the plug. Google should embed these games in youtube to make it more accessible, with youtube premium members having ad free versions of the games.
                              Surely it comes down to server cost versus active users? If they've already cut investment in new titles to entice new users and are basically giving the access away in various deals it's on life support until the novelty wears off entirely and those users sampling free subscriptions don't convert to paying customers.

I doubt it'll last all of next year unless google decides on a new strategy. Place your bets ...

Comment

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
                                Google should embed these games in youtube to make it more accessible
                                This for me is the big missed opportunity of Stadia. As the gateway to the web, Google are uniquely positioned to throw users straight into games from search, YouTube, Gmail, etc.

You could imagine a situation where a Google search for a game title yields not just webpages, images and YouTube videos as a results, but a segment of the game itself that you can dive into and start playing immediately. Or YouTube ads for games which are fully playable.

They wouldn't necessarily play at their best via m+kb or touchscreen, but as a quick way of trying the game (versus just looking at a video) it'd be better than a poke in the eye.

Yet for whatever reason they haven't managed to do this. Whether there just isn't the will, the Stadia team doesn't have the influence within the business, they haven't been able to strike the necessary deals with publishers, or whatever, I think it's a shame. It would genuinely be quite revolutionary, and would have been an effective tool for driving subscriptions I would've thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X