Google Stadia: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Stadia: Thread 01

GOOGLE look set to unveil their much rumoured Google games console at GDC 2019. Here’s everything you need to know about the start time and how to live stream the major announcement.

I've held off on this because, well frankly there's a whopping great big whiff of Ouya about it regardless of Googles involvement. There's also a potentially telling lack of noise about the reveal with largely a vacuum surrounding its development, software and plans so for me I'm expecting this to be nowhere near the impact maker some may think it could be.

Never the less we'll know soon and word is that it's a streaming device that comes with a controller that looks along the lines of this:

The reveal is expected to be accompanied by presentations from the likes of Ubisoft and Sega.
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 19-03-2019, 22:22.

Do we reckon this came about because of Microsoft's investment in cloud gaming, or was on the cards anyway?

Seems odd because cloud-based streaming disappeared off the radar for years after Gaikai/Sony, Onlive and Nvidia all implemented fully realised products.

Comment

I imagine it was always on the cards but I'm fully expecting it to be a side service and the definition of exactly that. Something they offer but not something they're particularly invested in so it'll see games released on it but they won't be directly challenging Sony/MS in the console space or making much in the way of effort to make their own exclusives. Effectively more like Amazon's efforts where you forget they exist.

Comment

You couldn't find a better source than the filth that is the Daily Express?

I haven't tried Google's implementation but I have tried PS Now and I wasn't impressed by the lag, but until I have I hold judgement.

I do use local network streaming from Steam between my gaming rig and satellite devices, but never for titles that require twitch responses - even locally the lag it introduces affects play, but for more sedate titles it works well where I prefer to be sat at a desk.

Trouble with Google is they often drop projects on a whim.

Comment

Every time I see that controller, my eyes think there's a blur effect been applied to it.

Comment

It probably has, it's a 3D mock up based on a patent, not an official photo of a product released by Google.

Comment

+marks for correct, symmetrical thumbstick placement!

Comment

But minus 10 points for choosing symmetry over superiority

Comment

That controller is a 3D mockup someone came up with based on a patent, and when you compare the two, they are pretty different. General lines are similar, but the mockup got a number of things wrong, first and foremost how wide the controller is and how small the analogs are. Plus the patent filed by Google is not for the controller itself but for microphone-related technology.

Link to the patent.

Comment

The images in the patents never represent the look of the final product; they don't want to give the game away. At least that was my understanding. Preparing to be corrected...

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                      Do we reckon this came about because of Microsoft's investment in cloud gaming, or was on the cards anyway?
                      I think it was always coming if anything I would imagine MS had to counter. Have to see the price, I would mind this device given the huge number of games on Android and if Google can get that support on its stream system, it be well worth a look

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                        Every time I see that controller, my eyes think there's a blur effect been applied to it.
                        Glad it isn't just me.

Comment

I'm not convinced by Stadia at all - this just seems like a massive platform for games as a service and all the horrors that brings with it, given it has to be always online.

And Google's presentation live stream provides an example of the downsides ...

upload photos online
                          Last edited by MartyG; 19-03-2019, 17:21.

Comment

Takes one look, year, ill pass thanks google.

Looking forward to the afterthought memo of it being killed off in 2 years though.
                            Last edited by fishbowlhead; 19-03-2019, 18:04.

Comment

Reminds me of On-live.

My internet just wouldn't handle it. I'm not interested in something that has no offline use. Highly doubt cross platform or multiplayer would be big on this. What benefit will it have for people who already own an Xbox or PS4 or PC? How will it appeal to those who don't?

Comment

Working...
                              X