Google Stadia: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    I think it's OK. I reckon most people have 20Mb+ now. I mean we have PS Now, that's a thing
    Do most people really have that though? Genuine question as I genuinely don't know.

And can PS Now be considered successful just because it's a thing? Put it this way - I'm personally not getting rid of my legacy PS hardware anytime soon, and I'd wager that I'm not alone in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      I'm personally not getting rid of my legacy PS hardware anytime soon, and I'd wager that I'm not alone in that.
      BB Navigator FTW!
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I’ve said this a million times, I moved into a modern brand new build flat about 5 mins from the city centre, great wee place expect I’ve had 6-10mb broadband for almost 6 years, it’s ONLY these past few weeks I’ve got upgraded to 12mb.
        **** YEAHHHHH.

So to sum it up google can kiss my hairy arse.
        Last edited by Family Fry; 13-06-2019, 13:42.

Comment

And can PS Now be considered successful just because it's a thing? .
          No, but it shows it can work. I had a month free streaming on Nvidia Shield gaming service and was quite surprised at how well All-Stars Racing Transformed looked and run (it did break up a few times mind) I would imagine both MS and Google have way btter capacity and cloud servers.

So it be interesting to see what they can both pull off. I'll always be for consoles under the TV, but it would be nice to be able to play games anywhere with a decent network and all you need is a TV or Smartphone

Comment

Do most people really have that though? Genuine question as I genuinely don't know.

And can PS Now be considered successful just because it's a thing? Put it this way - I'm personally not getting rid of my legacy PS hardware anytime soon, and I'd wager that I'm not alone in that.
            Yeah, that’s a fair point. It’s not bad as a proof of concept though, and I’d wager Stadia will be better. Sony really haven’t gone all in on PS Now, it’s obviously very much a secondary service, so I’m sure there’s plenty of room for a better funded, more committed competitor team to provide an improved version that provides better quality at the high end and is more flexible at the low end. Whether that’s Google, I’m unsure. Perhaps MS.

Broadband speed wise, I reckon there are enough people to make it a goer. I have literary nothing except anecdotal evidence to back that up though, so take it for what you will!

Comment

According to Ofcom, the average broadband speed in the UK is 54.2Mbps. I'm assuming this includes both FTTC and ADSL, but it's not clear from the linked article; it could just mean average FTTC speeds. If it doesn't include ADSL, that could pull the real average down considerably.

New research from telecoms regulator Ofcom suggests its efforts to encourage consumers to switch to faster broadband services are paying off.

There's this link too, which seems to suggest the average includes ADSL: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...isp-speed.html

We could really do with vectored VDSL as crosstalk is a big problem with FTTC, BTOpenReach are dragging their heels a bit on curing the crosstalk issues (the SNR Margin on my line is 5.8 dB, which kills the sync speed despite the theoretical attainable limit being much higher and that's due to the crosstalk. When my FTTC first went in I was getting over 80Mb, it tends to sit around 50-60Mb now more people are using the cabinet).
              Last edited by MartyG; 13-06-2019, 15:34.

Comment

Another article saying what I said earlier. Stadia will rince through your data cap in hours.

Comment

Data capping isn’t a thing in the UK though. People are worrying for nothing.
                  Last edited by J0e Musashi; 13-06-2019, 17:17.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                    Data calling isn’t a thing in the UK though. People are worrying for nothing.
                    Indeed.

Netflix 4K HDR uses 25mpbs+ per second (not that they ever have much 4k AND HDR content, probably deliberately so), I have literally never seen anybody complain about that and their data caps.

Comment

My ISP prior to the one I'm using now complained about my data usage in the evening (they no longer exist) requesting me to use it between 1am and 6am instead,

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                        Data capping isn’t a thing in the UK though. People are worrying for nothing.
                        You're right. But if Google want this to succeed they'll need to sell it large numbers around the world were data caps are a thing, particularly in the US.

Comment

Yep, the UK is chump change in all this so it has clear issues with caps. PSNow offers little info on its success but from what I understand it's profitable for Sony, I've always taken their low key approach to the service as an indicator that they don't believe a worthwhile market exists for a bigger push yet.

I mean, taking a positive outlook of just assuming Stadia works great I still see zero interest for most in a game on any screen service where you don't need a controller to play full console titles. The second you do need a controller it means having one on you at all times and if you carry one then you're already in the territory where most will ignore the service and those who would carry one would simply buy a Switch.

Even, even if someone has enough interest in gaming and it being specifically delivered by a streaming method there's no reason really to choose this over what MS is offering.

I feel like there's still been given absolutely no reason whatsoever for anyone to use it. It's the gaming embodiment of this meme:

Comment

PSNow is mainly focussed on downloadable games now. Only the PS3 games have to be streamed. It is mainly Gamepass now, but the marketing suggests otherwise.

Comment

The Stadia version of Destiny 2 will remain the only gated version meaning no cross play for that community

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                                https://www.pcgamer.com/destiny-2-on...ffer-pcgamertw

The Stadia version of Destiny 2 will remain the only gated version meaning no cross play for that community
                                That's going to be a hella small community of players.

Comment

Working...
                                X