No announcement yet.

Google Stadia: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one time Stadia gets a notable new game to play...

An early build of Gods & Monsters was available to play on Google Stadia last night, following a serious slip-up by the…

And it shouldn't have as a playable build leaked briefly onto the service for Ubisoft's Gods and Monsters.

Comment

So now we know details of the PS5 and XsX, how long will this console last I wonder?

Comment

EDIT-Double post

Comment

PlayStation 6 in 2027. Maybe a mid-gen refresh in 2024... depends on the thinking at the time given neither Pro or Xbox One X sold well enough to be really worth the effort over a Super Slim. If Stadia could have got the performance up it should have been easy for them to at least keep pace but as not... and it's even subpar... and no-one likes it... and it's Google.... September 2020?

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
            So now we know details of the PS5 and XsX, how long will this console last I wonder?
            I was also thinking this. There's been a few ads for it pop up on YouTube for me in the past few days and it made me wonder when it's going to die... I know they've made some improvements lately but it still feels like they've ruined it enough for no-one to care anymore.

Comment

Well they must be getting desperate as they've added £10 to my account to buy something. Unfortunately the cheapest game is £15 (Trials Rising) and anything that I'd be even remotely interested in I already own and at a far cheaper price than on Stadia's store.

Nice try Google, but you've still not got it - you're competing with PS Now, XCloud, GeForce Cloud Gaming and they're all doing it with a better business model.

Try. Harder.

Comment

Admit it, each time there's an update you all kind of wonder if it's Google announcing they've cancelled Stadia

But nope, instead Splash Damage are to work on an exclusive game called Outcasters

Google has announced 16 new games coming to streaming service Stadia, including five exclusives.Outcasters is an "Only …

Whilst 15 more games are coming including four other exclusives which include Orcs Must Die! 3. Harmonix are also working on an exclusive due to release at some point in the future should Stadia survive long enough

Comment

I’m certainly curious to see how a Harmonix game will work on it. Actually, am i? Nah, not really.

Supermassive are doing a game for it too. That should be a better fit.

Comment

Not Harmonix ☹️

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                      Admit it, each time there's an update you all kind of wonder if it's Google announcing they've cancelled Stadia
                      It's only a matter of time and we all know it.

Not making Stadia compatible with ALL Android hardware from the off was a terrible mistake.

Comment

I am wondering how they can sustain things with xCloud now releasing in September included in Game Pass Ultimate.

There are a lot of game pass ultimate subscribers already what with MS offering such nice conversion deals when it launched.

Really the only issues I see with cloud gaming in general (other than latency) is the physical hardware implementation.

Phone screens are too small in my opinion, and only take work for some titles. The sweet spot for me has been tablet gaming in the 8-10" region. That instantly makes piggybacking your screen on top of a controller impossible (I've a few hacks but it's not perfect).

Then you've got some solid switch style controller offerings like the Razer Kishi and Junglecat, which are good but limited in the same ways as using a normal controller... They are phone only.

iPega make some tablet sized options but the build quality and usage feel just isn't there.

Short version: it needs a 1st party like MS to offer an official controller product that fits tablets and feels as good as the normal console controller.

If Microsoft do this, I think Stadia is rightly screwed. Either that or quite simply launch xCloud as an app on Switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          It's only a matter of time and we all know it.

Not making Stadia compatible with ALL Android hardware from the off was a terrible mistake.
                          Thinking people wanted streaming as their primary form of gaming whilst having to pay a premium and having no ownership if things died was a terrible mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                            Thinking people wanted streaming as their primary form of gaming whilst having to pay a premium and having no ownership if things died was a terrible mistake.
                            Oh no doubt, but there was a (small) chance of this being negated if Samsung Galaxy/OnePlus/Sony OEM owners would've been able to use Stadia in full on their devices from the off. The infrastructure is/was kinda already there.

Comment

I don't think it would have made much difference, actually no, it might have hastened its demise as more people gave it a go, discovered it wasn't very good. uninstalled the app and never thought about it again.

If there was any real demand or interest for this service, people would have jumped on it when the free tier released to everyone and they haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                                I don't think it would have made much difference, actually no, it might have hastened its demise as more people gave it a go, discovered it wasn't very good. uninstalled the app and never thought about it again.

If there was any real demand or interest for this service, people would have jumped on it when the free tier released to everyone and they haven't.
                                Maybe, but it still would almost certainly have been better to make it available Android-wide instead of just limiting it to Pixel devices.

Far better to give it more coverage to enable it to have some fighting chance IMO

Comment

Working...
                                X