Component leads = phono yeah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Component leads = phono yeah?

One of the colour channels on my xboxOG isn't working. Not the TV because wii works. So, xbox, av block or cables. If I just get a phono lead and check with that it's a good test?

Yep that’ll work

Comment

Indeed.

Comment

Cheers peeps.

Comment

Went to check this today and.... It's working fine with the normal kit Crazy stuff.

Comment

The question is are you using Component or Composite ie. YPbPr or AV?

If you are not using Component and/or don't have either a NTSC or region changed Xbox you're not going to get the best PQ out of it. 480p is supported by practically all games (PAL, NTSC or genuinely region free) but unless you're using the NTSC dashboard it'll all be 480i/60Hz at best.

My guess is that the problem was/is a stretched cable or similar and some of the wiring is partially broken or the internal insulation failing and the problem may reappear.
            Last edited by fallenangle; 01-04-2019, 11:30. Reason: typo

Comment

Yeah, it's a soft modded pal xbox, with video switched to ntsc, with XBMC dash in 720p mode via component av pack. Currently still working.

Comment

I've not lost an Xbox yet and I've been using one since 2003 and the chipped machine I bought in late 2005 is probably my most used console. Out of the blue that lost its power-board about 4 years ago but I'd bought a broken Xbox for parts and luckily it was an identical version and the board from that compatible and working.

Only Xbox things I've lost are two MS Controller S joypads both to the very same thing, which is a bit worrying: left stick calibration failure.

Despite cleaning and appropriate lubrication the spring loading simply does not centre the stick any more and that means on start up the neutral is often set way off centre to the point it is unusable. You can recalibrate by manually re-centring and restarting but it seems to go off again as you play. Both retired but now so I'm down to my last two Controller S pads and one of those was bought second hand and so of unknown age/previous wear and tear.

The thought of eventually having to use one of the vastly oversize original MS Duke controllers does not thrill me.

On the subject of the original Xbox: has anyone noticed that the green translucent, "LE" Xbox is now being sold for stupid money? There's one on Ebay for €299 and my local CEX has one for £100 and by the look of it only one matched Controller S (it was originally sold in the UK/EU with two).

According to the wiki only 5000 of the 20,000 manufactured were sold in the UK/EU the rest in Canada so I suppose it is increasingly rare now, particularly if originally PAL. But as I remember it at the time you could easily buy them on Amazon UK for little more than the price of the standard black consoles. That's what I did because they were actually better value coming as they did with two controllers rather than one.

CEX themselves were selling good used ones less than 10 years years ago at £30, only £5 more than standard versions.

Comment

I had one of those green ones. Ugly thing but had two S controllers.

Comment

The original Xbox is a thing of beauty any colour.

Comment

Working...
                    X