Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Right then. I’d had this pre-ordered since last summer and the countdown timer finally reached zero yesterday at 16:00.

After setting the story, it throws you into an intro mission where it teaches you the basics of combat and the controls. You then face a scripted boss who you cannot beat, before you start the game proper.

It has the familiar Souls-style central hub where you can do your upgrading as well as a new training option, which is required to make any kind of progression IMO. You venture out into the first area thinking that you’ve got everything under control and then you get completely destroyed a few times as you inch your way closer to the first boss, who then also completely destroys you until you work out his pattern. It’s all very Soulslike in the way it’s laid out I feel. However, this is the most difficult Souls game so far. It is brutal and relentless. It reminds me of the Xbox Ninja Gaiden titles, but this game is even more difficult. You will die to most enemies in two hits, often one. What I have worked out is that you need to be a total badass to get anywhere though, hence that training mode. Button mashers need not apply. This is a skill-based puzzle game masquerading as an action title if you aks me.

It hasn’t clicked fully with me yet, but currently I’m finding it easier to run past the standard enemies straight to the bosses once the direct path has been opened. I’m not entirely sure that this is the “correct” way to play Sekiro, but that’s what I do in all of the other games, so this is my current strategy.

It’s your standard FromSoft presentation. Menus and even the font is the same as usual, which is nice for long term fans of the games. The death blows are very violent though. It’s got a flashy, movie-style feel to it in that regard.

To surmise, I don’t know whether or not I like it so far, but I’d assume that there will be a fair level of used stock in CEX by Monday as it demands a level of skill and concentration that only a certain type of gamer will be bothered to stick with. If you’re a CODfield 63 player, this game is not for you. I’ve been trying to defeat the second boss for almost six hours now to give you an indication of how hard it is, and I’m a Souls/Nioh veteran.
    Last edited by J0e Musashi; 22-03-2019, 12:19.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Worst case I'll see if this works well as a walk a long beat em up like the Souls games do once trainers are applied

Comment

It’s starting to click now. I just took out that boss without taking a hit. It’s the different way of approaching things that is throwing me off. You can’t just go in guns blazing like Lameborne, and you can’t use the terrain to your advantage like in Souls. A mixture of both stealth and knowing where and when to attack is what’s needed.

I say this until I get to the next boss of course. Lol
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi
        Lameborne
        Dudborne would be a better name.

This sounds great to me, thanks for impressions. Looking forward to picking this up. I’m glad it’s a proper, super hard Souls type game and that they didn’t water things down.

Comment

I might take this into the living room for some 4K action. No work for over the weekend, so why not?

Comment

As soon as anyone mentions Souls I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
              As soon as anyone mentions Souls I'm out.
              Ditto, I saw some screen shots and a preview and thought that looks great! Then realised it's heritage.

I couldn't stand the frustration and hoped it was just a hack and slash.

Comment

Originally posted by dyer60 View Post
                Ditto, I saw some screen shots and a preview and thought that looks great! Then realised it's heritage.

I couldn't stand the frustration and hoped it was just a hack and slash.
                It’s a long way from Souls, but hack ‘n slash it isn’t. This is a precision title. Think Souls, but ‘II Turbo: Hyper Fighting.

Don’t go in thinking that it will ever be an easy ride. If you don’t like Souls, then you’ll DESPISE Sekiro.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                  It’s a long way from Souls, but hack ‘n slash it isn’t. This is a precision title. Think Souls, but ‘II Turbo: Hyper Fighting.

Don’t go in thinking that it will ever be an easy ride. If you don’t like Souls, then you’ll DESPISE Sekiro.
                  Thanks, all I need to know really. I don't mind a tuff game but my play style is force my way through something and I'm not a patient gamer, so will pass, a shame cos it looks lovely.

Comment

This sounds like a daft question I know, but when you fight in Sekiro, do you feel you're playing with the game mechanics or against them?

I've never got on with the Souls games all that much, but I've seen videos of people doing things to win in them - like catching the bosses on scenery, exploiting poor AI, and such. Is Sekiro like that?

Comment

You can’t just go in guns blazing like Lameborne
                      Funnily enough this is exactly how I'm playing. You can't seem to just sit back and let Posture (shield) meters regain, you have to pile on the pressure and trigger kill moves before pile-ups become unmanageable. Trying to time parries and dodges is great vs. the mini-bosses, but against groups of normal guys there isn't much of an advantage as the kill move animation doesn't grant invincibility.
                      Last edited by dataDave; 23-03-2019, 03:21.

Comment

Speaking of bosses/generals:

The generals seem to switch stances during fights which will dictate what red kanji move they will perform. When holding up their weapons this means they will go for a sweep attack, which is countered with the Enemy Step dive kick thing. With lowered weapons they will be going for thrust/lunge attacks, so get ready to parry (or Mikiri Counter). I'm not sure what can guarantee triggering grabs yet, but they don't seem to stem from the thrust attack stance so far.

Also, some attacks seem to trigger based off of range. It's as if they've lifted the Jeanne template from Bayo - so depending on how far away you're standing you can bait them into performing a particular red kanji move which you can easily counter. Although I'm not 100% on this yet.

I'm not a fan of the red kanji, actually. NG should remove them.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          I've never got on with the Souls games all that much, but I've seen videos of people doing things to win in them - like catching the bosses on scenery, exploiting poor AI, and such. Is Sekiro like that?
                          I've faced a couple of easily exploitable bosses so far, so yes.

Comment

I haven't faced a boss yet. Plan right now is combing the early areas and boosting my abilities a few notches. The basic enemies don't pose any problems but the generals really ramp up the challenge, and probably do a good job of showing you how you're going to have to play the game. It's hard to get out of the hardwired Souls ways of approaching fights but it's slowly clicking.

Comment

The step dodge is rubbish. Why doesn’t he roll? Why is it on O too? I keep jumping just from muscle memory.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X