User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by J0e Musashi View Post
    You can’t just go in guns blazing like Lameborne
    Funnily enough this is exactly how I'm playing. You can't seem to just sit back and let Posture (shield) meters regain, you have to pile on the pressure and trigger kill moves before pile-ups become unmanageable. Trying to time parries and dodges is great vs. the mini-bosses, but against groups of normal guys there isn't much of an advantage as the kill move animation doesn't grant invincibility.
    Last edited by dataDave; 23-03-2019 at 02:21 AM.

Speaking of bosses/generals:

The generals seem to switch stances during fights which will dictate what red kanji move they will perform. When holding up their weapons this means they will go for a sweep attack, which is countered with the Enemy Step dive kick thing. With lowered weapons they will be going for thrust/lunge attacks, so get ready to parry (or Mikiri Counter). I'm not sure what can guarantee triggering grabs yet, but they don't seem to stem from the thrust attack stance so far.

Also, some attacks seem to trigger based off of range. It's as if they've lifted the Jeanne template from Bayo - so depending on how far away you're standing you can bait them into performing a particular red kanji move which you can easily counter. Although I'm not 100% on this yet.

I'm not a fan of the red kanji, actually. NG should remove them.

Quote Originally Posted by Asura View Post
    I've never got on with the Souls games all that much, but I've seen videos of people doing things to win in them - like catching the bosses on scenery, exploiting poor AI, and such. Is Sekiro like that?
    I've faced a couple of easily exploitable bosses so far, so yes.

I haven't faced a boss yet. Plan right now is combing the early areas and boosting my abilities a few notches. The basic enemies don't pose any problems but the generals really ramp up the challenge, and probably do a good job of showing you how you're going to have to play the game. It's hard to get out of the hardwired Souls ways of approaching fights but it's slowly clicking.

プレイステーション
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: I3th Racing PSN ID: Mr_Karate
    The step dodge is rubbish. Why doesn’t he roll? Why is it on O too? I keep jumping just from muscle memory.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

プレイステーション
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by dataDave View Post
    Speaking of bosses/generals:

The generals seem to switch stances during fights which will dictate what red kanji move they will perform. When holding up their weapons this means they will go for a sweep attack, which is countered with the Enemy Step dive kick thing. With lowered weapons they will be going for thrust/lunge attacks, so get ready to parry (or Mikiri Counter). I'm not sure what can guarantee triggering grabs yet, but they don't seem to stem from the thrust attack stance so far.

Also, some attacks seem to trigger based off of range. It's as if they've lifted the Jeanne template from Bayo - so depending on how far away you're standing you can bait them into performing a particular red kanji move which you can easily counter. Although I'm not 100% on this yet.

I'm not a fan of the red kanji, actually. NG should remove them.
    The red kanji is annoying. It should be two different colours so you know what’s coming.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by J0e Musashi View Post
    The red kanji is annoying. It should be two different colours so you know what’s coming.
    What I find funny is how it must surely be massively condescending for Japanese players. What does it actually say? "Attack incoming!!"?

Also yeah, the dodge doesn't seem to work too well against anything other than grab. A major peeve of mine right now is how telegraphed attacks lock-on to the player avatar. The ogres will commit to a smash move, you roll out of the way yet their animation pivots with your evade. That's proper bollocks. You should be able to dodge them but the game forces you to subscribe to rock, paper, scissors.

プレイステーション
    Gamer IDs

The Chained Ogre is exactly why I think the step dodge is rubbish. His attacks lock-on so in theory it forces you to use the Flame Vent instead of dodging, which I’d prefer.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

I just cheesed him by repeatedly using the sliding move to get behind him for free hits. He has trouble turning.

I cheesed the Ogre by keeping the run button held down constantly through the entire fight. Didn't have to dodge once.

Has anyone defeated Madam Butterfly yet? I've been stuck on her for several hours now. I can get to phase two, but only by dodging all her attacks, and punishing with 1 or 2 hits when her combos are exhausted. It feels like I'm doing it wrong, but get nowhere trying to parry/block.