No announcement yet.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing countering and aggression seems to be key, pushing a boss into a stance break so that you can get to that finisher that clears off the rest of its health bar seems to be the winning tactic to a lot of bosses. I've seen a lot vid's of people doing stuff like jumping towards enemy's and double jumping off them as it stuns and adds towards that stance break.
    Last edited by Lebowski; 26-03-2019, 13:41.

Comment

Yeah, the lady Butterfly stun lock doesn't apply in the second phase, she can get out of it to try and keep her distance. Second phase is a game of finding opportunity since you need to hide from the homing attacks and she often gets away in the air. The shuriken deals massive posture damage to enemies in the air so you can use that when she's getting away from you.

Comment

I can't wait to play this!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
            Making good progress and enjoying the game immensely. I haven't hit any major roadblocks because the game is so good at explaining the mechanics to you.

Near each major boss is a hint and if you follow that you're golden. It's still difficult but the hint shows you an aspect to your skills and arsenal you might not have considered before.

I got stuck on a midboss for a bit last night. I couldn't get the deflect timing right and the area you fight him in is small, making the dodge difficult. I gave him a few tries and reassessed the combat art I had equipped. I tried a new one I'd bought recently and then it was straight down to pain town for him. This midboss inflicts high posture damage and also takes very little. Fortunately, while his attacks are quick, they have a long wind down and some have a long wind up. So I switched to a new combat art that does high posture damage and also recovers your own posture. Destroyed him. Felt so happy having put the pieces together and solved it myself.

Another boss looked like a total untouchable nightmare but some sensible dodging and the right prosthetic tool opened him right up. It was an intense battle and I loved solving the puzzle.

The Lady Butterfy boss that has been mentioned is troublesome for a lot of people but there are some tricks. One particular combat art stun locks her (found out by accident) and while the second phase supposedly requires an item, you can hide behind the pillars and take no hits.

Saying these games are bad or play like "utter haggard tripe" is ridiculous. They are finely crafted, deliberate and considered. They just aren't as frictionless as other games. Everything is placed for a reason and is a deliberate puzzle to solve. The character control is the best in the industry (except maybe MGS5). There's none of this god awful 'cinematic animation' where characters take 20 frames to get going or over shoot where you want them to stop because they need to finish their stepping animation. The character responds when you want him to but you have to commit to every action. Utterly beautiful to play.
            Well put. I'd originally been put off bothering with this, but having read that I'm going to pick it up now.

Comment

I was strong and managed NOT to buy this day 1 but reading these comments I am weakening.

BTW great post Chopes!

Comment

I’m loving this now that I’ve learned how to play it. I think it may be my favourite of them all. The same rules as Souls applies; you only die if you make a mistake or crack under pressure. The Lord Genichiro fight is immense!
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I’ve made huge progress today. It took me about 12 hours to beat Lord Genichiro, but when I did; I did it without taking a single hit. He’s the first stepping stone to the game opening up fully. I then went on to beat every mini boss and boss on my first attempt.

I’m fully in the zone now. I’m not wary of any enemy. The move set available can destroy anybody provided you keep your cool.

Sekiro is even better than Dark Souls III. It might even be better than MGSV.

GOTY unless something absolutely perfect comes out.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Glad you’ve finally got to grips with it J0e, I was slightly unsure at first as I was trying to play full on stealth, which you can’t do. Now I realise it’s a deliberate mix, I’m loving it.

Nothing is insurmountable once you assess how the opponent reacts to things.

How does their posture react when you parry them? are they susceptible to prosthetic attacks? When do they leave themselves open? What moves to I need to learn to avoid and how? Etc etc.

Fights are an analysis and once you’re learnt them, like you say, you can beat them without taking a hit.

Couple this with some amazing traversal of environments and I think the game is right up there as a GotY contender.

Comment

I'm still tippy-toeing through it ... now realising I've been upgrading only one skill tree, when perhaps I could have used my points in a more balanced way. Bah. Not sure I'll have what it takes in the long run but for now I'm enjoying the slow, chipping away approach.

Comment

I’m at the last boss now. I’ve found a very good farming spot that gets you almost 1800 exp in about three minutes. I’m using that to max out every skill before I head into NG+.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

This has got to be the single most difficult last boss in video game history! He can two-shot you at any given moment if you make a mistake. I’m about 30 tries in so far because of mistakes. I’ve actually worked out what needs to be done, it’s just actually doing it now consistently.

This is game is so good. Every major boss is comparible to a 1cc run.

I see why many don’t get on with this type of game. Self punishment is not for everyone. The over and over repetition is mind numbing at times, but Demon’s Souls and/or Dark Souls II (pre DLC) is a cakewalk compared to this.

I assume that you’ve beaten him [MENTION=152]Goemon[/MENTION]? Any tips? I’m using Ichimoji (single) to punish him when he occasionally lets up.
                          Last edited by J0e Musashi; 30-03-2019, 19:56.
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Opus Dei in video game form.

Enjoying the updates in this thread, even though I know I can’t play it.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                              This has got to be the single most difficult last boss in video game history! He can two-shot you at any given moment if you make a mistake. I’m about 30 tries in so far because of mistakes. I’ve actually worked out what needs to be done, it’s just actually doing it now consistently.

This is game is so good. Every major boss is comparible to a 1cc run.

I see why many don’t get on with this type of game. Self punishment is not for everyone. The over and over repetition is mind numbing at times, but Demon’s Souls and/or Dark Souls II (pre DLC) is a cakewalk compared to this.

I assume that you’ve beaten him [MENTION=152]Goemon[/MENTION]? Any tips? I’m using Ichimoji (single) to punish him when he occasionally lets up.
                              Which boss are you on?
                              I was looking at your trophies yesterday and was thinking, errrr he’s not at the last boss

You’ve actually got a trophy that I don’t have so I need to figure that out. The trophies I have over you are just progression based.

Part of the reason I’m regressing to retro games is due to learning.
                              People say it’s too hard or that it’s punishing but it’s simply designed that you have to learn and practice.

There’s nothing wrong with learning and practicing something, it makes it achievement level more enjoyable. There’s nothing more boring playing a game where you’re just going through motions.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                                Which boss are you on?
                                I was looking at your trophies yesterday and was thinking, errrr he’s not at the last boss

You’ve actually got a trophy that I don’t have so I need to figure that out. The trophies I have over you are just progression based.

Part of the reason I’m regressing to retro games is due to learning.
                                People say it’s too hard or that it’s punishing but it’s simply designed that you have to learn and practice.

There’s nothing wrong with learning and practicing something, it makes it achievement level more enjoyable. There’s nothing more boring playing a game where you’re just going through motions.
                                I’m up against Shinobi Owl. I assume that he is the last story boss as I made a choice to fight him. I’m going to farm and come back to him later I think. “Emma’s Medicine: Aroma” and “Flowing Water” will definitely help against him.

The trophy you’re missing is “Master of the Arts”. Save up for Shadowrush basically.
                                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X