X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    And he was talking about Neo Nazis.
    It's clear from the transcript that he wasn't. Both of those quotes are from the same discussion. He's talking over the reporter (no change there) and is discussing left wing and right wing protesters generally.

Originally posted by Transcript
    Q. But as for bigotry, the neo-Nazis started this. They showed up in Charlottesville to protest the removal of that statue--

The President: Excuse me, excuse me. They didn't put themselves down as you do, and you had some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides. You had people in that group--
    See the part in bold. He states clearly that he disagrees with the reporter's description of the entire pro-statue protesters (one of the "sides") as Neo Nazis. Regardless of whether you agree with that or not, he makes it clear that he's continuing the discussion by rejecting the labeling of this group as neo-Nazis.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang
    With all those actions intact, not sure why you'd quibble the quote as if that changes things.
    Because the truth matters, even when you don't particularly like the accused. Doubly so when we live in a cable news world where context and nuance fall by the wayside and everything is reduced to ridiculous soundbites. As a side note, I do find it astonishing that anyone would think that this guy, who himself has Jewish family members, would not only hold neo-Nazi views but also publicly endorse them. Do you really think that's likely?
    Last edited by Lyris; 07-10-2020, 07:03.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post

multiple photos in single frame online free

I didn't want to feel left out - 10 points if you know the film.
      I used to go to a youth club and I did a film quiz one week.

I played the Scanners clip and one of the other kids fainted. We had to cut out all the gore clips and we had about 3 questions left as everything else was like clips from The Fly puking on that guy's hand.

Scanners is a brilliant film, though, but I feel I'm veering off-topic.

I can't believe the Leader of the Free World is saying Covid-19 isn't something to worry about.
      You're left wondering if:
      A.) He had it, still has it and is infecting those around him
      B.) He never had it and he wants to pretend it's not a problem

Comment

[MENTION=75]Lyris[/MENTION] You need to look more into the context of that quote. There weren’t left wing protestors. They were neo-Nazis and white supremacists, of which he said when asked directly about neo-Nazis, that there were very fine people in that group. The quote is clear and why you seem to be trying your hardest to twist your interpretation of this one instance among so many others is a touch baffling to me, to be honest.

(Edit in here: by the way, neither he nor the reporter mention left wing protestors so your interpretation does rely on your imagination here. You are making up context to fit an interpretation you want rather than the one that is. I’d be asking myself why that is. In all the context of everything that demonstrates him to be what he is, why would being able to dismiss this one quote bring you peace?)

And yes I not only think it’s likely, I think we’ve made it very clear that he is through his words and actions.

There are really only two ways to interpret this. One is he’s a straight up white supremacist. Two is that he might not be but he will bring white supremacists close, give them positions of power, enable and support them regularly while repeating and amplifying their views and... actually that’s just a white supremacist too. He has done all those things.
        Last edited by Dogg Thang; 07-10-2020, 07:41.

Comment

[MENTION=75]Lyris[/MENTION] You need to look more into the context of that quote. There weren’t left wing protestors. They were neo-Nazis and white supremacists, of which he said when asked directly about neo-Nazis, that there were very fine people in that group. The quote is clear and why you seem to be trying your hardest to twist your interpretation of this one instance among so many others is a touch baffling to me, to be honest.

(Edit in here: by the way, neither he nor the reporter mention left wing protestors so your interpretation does rely on your imagination here. You are making up context to fit an interpretation you want rather than the one that is. I’d be asking myself why that is. In all the context of everything that demonstrates him to be what he is, why would being able to dismiss this one quote bring you peace?)

And yes I not only think it’s likely, I think we’ve made it very clear that he is through his words and actions.

There are really only two ways to interpret this. One is he’s a straight up white supremacist. Two is that he might not be but he will bring white supremacists close, give them positions of power, enable and support them regularly while repeating and amplifying their views and... actually that’s just a white supremacist too. He has done all those things.
          It play directly to his voter base that hold those views and that's why we have this cult of trump. Its dangerous saying all his supporters are racist though, their are a massive amount that don't hold his views but are voting for what they see as the lesser of two evils and think the opposition getting into power would be much worse for them and the economy, You know pretty much same agenda the media pushes in the UK.
          Last edited by Lebowski; 07-10-2020, 14:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyris View Post
            As a side note, I do find it astonishing that anyone would think that this guy, who himself has Jewish family members, would not only hold neo-Nazi views but also publicly endorse them. Do you really think that's likely?
            Yeah, because Jewish Nazis aren't a thing. Oh, hang on:

Comment

Well, that line of thinking is along the lines that Trump couldn't be anti-immigrant when he has an immigrant wife. He is clearly anti-immigrant. He can have Jewish family members and still be a white supremacist. If we're bringing family into it, his father was arrested at a KKK rally so there's that too.

Comment

Not forgetting that his mother and paternal grandparents were also immigrants.

Comment

Yep, exactly. There are plenty of people who hold anti-immigrant beliefs who have or had immigrant family members. The family argument doesn't hold up at all.

I guess for me, it isn't even a question of him being a white supremacist. It's how hard do you need to work, how many things do you need to excuse or discount, in order to continue believing that he isn't?

Comment

Yep, exactly. There are plenty of people who hold anti-immigrant beliefs who have or had immigrant family members. The family argument doesn't hold up at all.
                    Priti Patel, to pick a name out of the air entirely at random.

Comment

Trump is now at his lowest approval rating since Jul 2018 - he's been lower (lowest eb was an overall difference of -26 points), but he's been absolutely tanking in the polls

Rasmussen is the polling company that Trump tweets out because he likes that they often show him ahead of his rivals. The polling there also now shows Biden with a 12 point lead. Bet he doesn't tweet that one out as Rasmussen are now obviously fake polls.

Comment

Elect a clown, expect a circus

Comment

Elect a monkey, expect... peanuts?

Comment

Elect peanuts, expect .... vacuum cleaners?

Comment

Nazis... anti-Nazis... all I know is Trump would probably say there was good on both sides...

Comment

@Lyris You need to look more into the context of that quote. There weren’t left wing protestors. They were neo-Nazis and white supremacists, of which he said when asked directly about neo-Nazis, that there were very fine people in that group. The quote is clear and why you seem to be trying your hardest to twist your interpretation of this one instance among so many others is a touch baffling to me, to be honest.

Mental gymnastics at play in life every day, and cognitive dissonance. A few swears would explain the world better.

Comment

Working...
                                X