Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the blind playthrough thing is an interesting one. I'm presuming that blind people can't read what the playthrough is called on a website, so a sighted person(s) have taken offense and flagged it. Or have they taken a straw pole of blind people and asked if they find the term offensive?
    Should people get offended on behalf of another group of people? Obviously someone being openly racist is one thing, but for the word 'blind' to be used to describe something? I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      That's a good question to put to Twitch, Charles. Write them a letter.
      Yes. It's a great use of my time and theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
        I think the blind playthrough thing is an interesting one. I'm presuming that blind people can't read what the playthrough is called on a website
        Screenreaders will tell them what it's called.

Comment

I think the blind playthrough thing is an interesting one. I'm presuming that blind people can't read what the playthrough is called on a website, so a sighted person(s) have taken offense and flagged it. Or have they taken a straw pole of blind people and asked if they find the term offensive?
          Should people get offended on behalf of another group of people? Obviously someone being openly racist is one thing, but for the word 'blind' to be used to describe something? I don't know.
          Yikes. Do you think blind people can’t use the internet? That they have no access to text on the internet?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            Screenreaders will tell them what it's called.
            Did not consider that. TIL

Comment

Yikes. Do you think blind people can’t use the internet? That they have no access to text on the internet?
              I genuinely genuinely didn't consider how they'd access the Internet. Embarrassing.

Comment

The only reason I know how it's done is witnessing people doing it at work at IBM.

Comment

I genuinely genuinely didn't consider how they'd access the Internet. Embarrassing.
                  It’s okay. My response was a bit harsh. If you didn’t know, you didn’t know. No worries. But yeah, this is why some of these things happen when services try to improve accessibility features, because they do actually engage with the communities in question.

Comment

Let's hope they're not reading your posts, you bastard.

Via [MENTION=1218]Zaki[/MENTION]:

Comment

Actually, this is a very good example of just taking other people's opinion into consideration.

It's hard for a lot of people to read beyond the rage-inducing headline of Winterval, to realise it's been taken out of context, yet also accept that "blackboard" is banned in schools.

This makes it harder when a group asks for their opinion to be considered, some give the kneejerk reaction of "It's political madness gone wrong!"

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        Let's hope they're not reading your posts, you bastard.

Via [MENTION=1218]Zaki[/MENTION]:
                        Jack Docherty is a bloody funny bloke!!

Comment

It's hard for a lot of people to read beyond the rage-inducing headline
                          This is why Twitter is so successful, they don't have to, headlines is the whole site.

Twitter and Facebook, the place where critical thinking goes to die.

Comment

Except just like trying to ban Christmas, this is usually nonsense. Twitch hasn't censored blind playthroughs. It has changed the term to 'first playthrough'. Nothing more. The exact same thing remains. And they didn't do it because of someone on the far left who isn't blind. They did it in response to gamers with disabilities.

So yeah, that's one extreme - disabled gamers just preferring that maybe people carry on and do exactly what they are doing but maybe they could use a different term if it's okay? And the other extreme are people saying black people shouldn't exist, gay people should be outlawed and so on. If you try to both sides this thing, if you genuinely believe that maybe not using a term is the same as the other stuff, that shows a huge amount about where you sit and what you find acceptable. So I'd reconsider the both sides thing.

It is kind of nuts, and somewhat horrifying, that this 'censorship' discussion, which is never applied to anything nice - it's basically people wanting the right to be the lowest form of themselves that they can be - garners more discussion and more outrage than actual real stuff.

Edit: Actually this previous paragraph is wrong because nobody ever actually removes the right for people to be the lowest forms of themselves. What they want is all freedom from consequences. Which is not how the world works on any level and so infantile to expect it.
                            The banning of the term Blind play-through is what was removed not blind play-thoughs you misinterpreted my comment. I used it as an example of censorship that is going too far, For a company to remove a term on a groups behalf when its not a derogatorily or offensive term is pandering. .

I feel glad that i didn't grow up in such an oversensitive media saturated world as at present the use of words has massive real world repercussions no matter how minor. Take the story of Mimi Groves that was doing the rounds on reddit recently she got expelled from university because of a 3 second snap-chat clip where she said "i can drive ******* " the person who released the clip did so at a time when he thought it would do the most damage to her. Kids say and do stupid things judgement should be used in things like this and the punishment should fit the crime, education not cancellation should be what we strive for

At present removing people from society for poor judgement is a pretty crappy way of going about things. you also have to look at power and privilege in this sort of situation Trump has said and done massively more racist and sexist things with seemingly no issues to his status or powerbase. but the media and the public seem pretty ok with demolishing a 18 year old for using a word out of context and not aimed at anyone.

Comment

yet also accept that "blackboard" is banned in schools.
                              Jokes aside, is that true? I'd heard schools had moved to using "chalkboard", and most schools now use whiteboards/pens anyway.

Had anyone ever expressed offense at that?

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                                The banning of the term Blind play-through is what was removed not blind play-thoughs you misinterpreted my comment. I used it as an example of censorship that is going too far, For a company to remove a term on a groups behalf when its not a derogatorily or offensive term is pandering. .
                                It's another non-example of censorship - Twitch hasn't stopped people doing blind playthroughs and people are free to go elsewhere and headline their video or stream as a blindplaythrough, you're free to create your own streaming service and have whatever conditions you like on it.

This isn't what censorship is - this is agreeing to Twitch's T&C when you sign up to their service (you are signing a legal contract with them) they're providing to you for free.
                                Last edited by MartyG; 13-01-2021, 13:11.

Comment

Working...
                                X