X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...us-auto-museum
    When it comes to the Confederate Flag, the General Lee is one instance where America won't be removing the flag
    I mean, from my perspective, that's totally fine - it's a cultural relic that, critically, is in a museum. It's meant to be an exhibit of something that was the way it was, for reasons that were relevant when it was made. Future generations will hopefully get to see it and pose the question of why the flag was still being used centuries later in such places. That's why museums exist.

Not sure even he knows what he'd fall under. To date he's called for the article banning slavery to be abolished claiming slavery is a choice, he supports anti-BLM figureheads too.
    Yep, definitely sounds like a libertarian. He's probably one of those people who wants all law enforcement and legal processes abolished, and people to have absolute freedom to do what they want, with the government only dealing with external and border issues.

Comment

The southern flag we see a lot popularised in tv and from Americans themselves isn’t actually the official flag the confederacy settled on anyway, the actual official flag was something else in the end as the chopped and changed it so often their own armies couldn’t keep up.

This explains it.

Comment

The US has begun its year long withdrawal the World Health Organisation. Should Biden take the Presidency from Trump in November it's expected that he will reverse and wipe out all efforts to leave WHO.

Comment

Rapper also unveils intention to end police brutality, return ‘fear and love of God’ to schools and appoint Elon Musk to run space programme

Kanye's approach to attempting for office appears to be to take a platform of:

-Anti-Vaccine
          -Anti-Abortion
          -Re-introduce Fear and a Love of God to Education
          -A party name of the Birthday Party
          -A campaign slogan simply saying 'Yes'
          -His campaign managers are Kim Kardashian and Elon Musk
          -He proposes that Elon Musk should be head of the nations space programme
          -He will run in 2024 as well
          -He wore the MAGA hat in protest of the segregation of the black community and to express his love of Trump hotels and their lobby music
          -Coronavirus was sent by God who we made mad

Comment

He's insane enough that I think many Americans will identify with him. I can really see him pulling voters from Biden that only would have voted for Biden originally because they don't want Trump.

Comment

He's going to make bugger all difference at all, any more than any joke candidate does.

You're all massively overestimating his appeal - this is nothing but a promotion for his new album.

If anything, Trump in office has made it more difficult for celebrity presidents to be successful.
              Last edited by MartyG; 08-07-2020, 17:13.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                He's going to make bugger all difference at all, any more than any joke candidate does.

You're all massively overestimating his appeal - this is nothing but a promotion for his new album.
                Yeah, on the one hand, that sounds pragmatic and makes sense.

On the other, I thought Remain was a dead cert and that Trump was a joke candidate.

I'm kind of at a point where I think that when it comes to general elections/referendums, the crazier and more extreme the option, the more of a 'protest' it seems, the more broad appeal it seems to have. And if it takes a chunk out of anyone, it'll be out of Biden, not Trump.

I really hope you're right he makes no impact - although I don't agree that West is just doing this to promote his album. He really is nuts enough to want to be president IMO.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...esidential-bid
                  Kanye's approach to attempting for office appears to be to take a platform of:

-Anti-Vaccine
                  -Anti-Abortion
                  -Re-introduce Fear and a Love of God to Education
                  -A party name of the Birthday Party
                  -A campaign slogan simply saying 'Yes'
                  -His campaign managers are Kim Kardashian and Elon Musk
                  -He proposes that Elon Musk should be head of the nations space programme
                  -He will run in 2024 as well
                  -He wore the MAGA hat in protest of the segregation of the black community and to express his love of Trump hotels and their lobby music
                  -Coronavirus was sent by God who we made mad

Is it April 1st? Or has he gone a bit lockdown loopy?

Comment

Trump was once the joke candidate. He won. I no longer underestimate the damage a joke candidate can do.

Comment

America has proven themselves (just like the UK) to be ****ing stupid. Anyone can be voted in.

Comment

I don't think the system of modern democracy works. How can it be that we end up with the population having to pick between several absolutely awful options? How can it be that somebody as openly evil as Trump, or as laughably incompetent as Johnson, gets right to the end and becomes the big boss when not many people really want it? Let alone all the other politicians that almost everyone hates but get to stay in their job as they're given safe seats to retain their jobs no matter what. Or people like Cummings who aren't even elected, but get to stay because the government know it's Hobson's Choice and they can do whatever they like.

I'm not saying we should move to communism, but honestly if the system we've got can only give us joke candidates and "jobs for the boys" career politicians then the system is completely screwed up. We need some kind of fresh start and I don't know what it is. I think the political system was established with good intentions and has become this sprawling mess where you can't be a remotely decent human being and emerge from the other end intact.

The system we've got is like democracy by technicality, it's like going into a restaurant and being told you can eat anything you want but the choices are offal in bin juice or tripe in bog water. There are other choices, but the system is set up so realistically those choices will never go in as people end up picking a lesser evil in the short-term. If we've got the same system in place in 500 years, I would still bet nobody but the big two ever got in. It sucks.

Comment

WHO says pandemic is still accelerating; Hundreds of Romanians check themselves out of hospital; Serbia considers new lockdown. This blog is now closed

Global cases have now passed 12m

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                            I'm not saying we should move to communism, but honestly if the system we've got can only give us joke candidates and "jobs for the boys" career politicians then the system is completely screwed up. We need some kind of fresh start and I don't know what it is. I think the political system was established with good intentions and has become this sprawling mess where you can't be a remotely decent human being and emerge from the other end intact.
                            There's nothing inherently wrong with the system (well other than FPTP being ****e, but PR won't change the underlying issue), anyone can stand to be an MP so long as they meet certain criteria (and it's not a high bar).

The fact is people generally don't as they can't be arsed and when they do, no one votes for them anyway - that's how they get away with it - it's not the politicians, it's the majority of voters not giving a flying feck - changing the political system of establishing a government won't make a difference to that problem given it's a fundamental one, even making voting compulsory (which I don't agree with) doesn't help as people wouldn't be casting votes for reasons other than they're being forced to.

Banning political parties would probably be the most effective change that could be made at this point.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 09-07-2020, 10:27.

Comment

I guess though, if you're not getting the results, like, ever then you can safely say there is something wrong with the system.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X