No announcement yet.

Canon-Strike VI: Marvel Cinematic Universe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoyed it. It was fun. But it didn't bring anything the first didn't and even when it comes to Endgame, I reckon that the one big plot point that could come from this was already introduced in the first Ant-Man so I reckon it won't be an essential watch.

Still, these Ant-Man films are fun and I'm glad we have them. I like that Marvel have a balance of light, low stakes films and some big darker movies.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
      I love Doctor Strange. I remember leaving the cinema and been underwhelmed, then watching it again on dvd and it clicking. The mirror realm stuff is really neat, as is the time loop concept used to bore Dormammu (? Can’t remember) into conceding defeat.

Cumberbatch really nails the role. Strange is like Stark, but with a more developed sense of perspective and his role in the universe. Wong is a likeable foil, and the cape is ace. The magical effects are brilliant. I wish they’d use it with a tad more creativity, but Strange showcased that in IW.
      For me, a Doctor Strange sequel needs to happen. He hasn’t met The Vishanti yet...

Comment

Ant Man and the Wasp is... I don't know, it's almost a wonder it's part of the MCU most of the time. They're kind of fun but at the same time it feels like there's little reason it exists. Though it was easy enough to watch as more time passes I feel the first Ant Man is the better film too.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          it feels like there's little reason it exists.
          Is there a reason any film exists? It's entertainment. If they are entertaining, that's job done. What am I missing here?

Comment

I think it's more that within the confines of the MCU, if Marvel are going to make entries that stand more alone and don't tie strongly in to the larger picture they're building then it'd be better for those films to be more distinct and experimental. Ant Man wire walked that with it's almost 60's-esque tone but the sequel is pretty bland in dropping that. There are several reasons Ant Man has come up in online discussions about DC's Shazam but one of the key notes on that film by comparison is that it makes the most of choosing not to tie itself in to the larger DCU picture and better embraces it's small scale stakes scenario and light tone.

In a way the Ant-Man films biggest contribution to the MCU is displaying the potential restrictions it can impose. Odd in a way because Guardians proves it's not necessary but Ant-Man could have easily gone deep on the heist/personal stakes angle but instead feels a bit generic and non-essential.

Comment

I don't know if I agree with that, especially in the context of this thread which has really brought home to me how self-contained most of the stories are even all the way up to Infinity War. Ant-Man doesn't strike me as much different in that regard. Like Strange, Spider-Man and others, his movies have been able to stand alone and yet, when it comes to it (like in Civil War), he can sit right in there with no problem. So I don't see Ant-Man as being any different. I think we'll see a similar thing with Spider-Man 2 where it sits alone as its own sequel. As do many of the sequels. Most of them. In fact, Civil War might be the only one out of the entire bunch that brought something that feels more essential to the whole and that's because it's more of an Avengers film.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                Is there a reason any film exists? It's entertainment. If they are entertaining, that's job done. What am I missing here?
                In fairness, in Ant-Man's case, it exists because the movie project actually pre-dates the MCU, and was seen as a good film to exploit the then-upcoming 3D movie boom that was technically "proved out" by that Jason Statham Beowulf movie.

Comment

I guess, it's hard to pin why Ant-Man feels to me like it's... the lesser component of the MCU. It's like he's more akin to War Machine, Winter Soldier etc fine but doesn't warrant his own franchise because the end result is just kind of... there.

Comment

I guess it's just whatever hits for you. I think he has a higher hit rate than Thor, as much as I enjoy Ragnarok. And his character and secondary characters carry the movies well in my view. I think he's a great addition, even if the second movie didn't hugely build on the first. I also feel his first movie was really well timed but perhaps his second movie wasn't so much. After Infinity War I think we all wanted to see what happened next.

Comment

I hope Endgame takes some time to show the world post-snappening. Would be such a waster otherwise

Comment

I was thinking that too on my rewatch. It felt like such an abstract concept. Only the post-credits bit started to give an impression of the reality of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          I hope Endgame takes some time to show the world post-snappening. Would be such a waster otherwise
                          They've called it The Decimation, which irritates me as it's half of the population, not 1/10th!

Comment

Movie 21 - Captain Marvel
                            Without having seen Endgame yet this is probably the hardest one to evaluate in terms of overall importance to the MCU canon. Marvel hasn't been coy about how they see Carol Danvers as the central figure of the MCU moving forward and this film and Endgame are seen as a launch pad for the character as opposed to an end point. One thing Danvers does do is change the power balance within the MCU, the character is immensely over powered compared to nearly every other existing character and is still to display her full potential so presumably we're going to see more powerful enemies and threats introduced than what we've seen so far.

Is Captain Marvel's biggest contribution to the canon so far a tease for changes to come? Also, Monday means the final update.

Comment

Just got back from seeing Captain Marvel. It was the last chance to see it really so we bribed someone to babysit.

Loved it. A strong entry for me, especially for an original story. Once again, Marvel takes the concept of an origin story and does something different. I liked the concept of starting the story at a certain point and having to continually peel back layers of memories to understand what had happened. Ok, the 90s setting wasn’t massively played up, but the switch of allegiances absolutely clicked with me. I thought the method by which she got her powers was nicely handled, too. There were some fun moments, as always, and the presence of Fury and Coulson grounded the film with a warm sense of the familiar. The tech to achieve this was top notch.

The first credit sequence really got me psyched for the film that most of you have already seen.

Comment

Yeah I loved Captain Marvel. Loved the characters and it was a load of fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X