Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's The Worst Video Game Console You Own Or Have Owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the time the N64 hardware was amazing, it was nearly an SGI workstation in a box. It's just that old 3d games date badly.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      Funnily enough the pending VideoCD revolution was a driving force in my decision to originally go with the Saturn over the Playstation. Of course, in the UK, VideoCDs never really took off; I never even bought the VideoCD card for the console.

I know they took off in other parts of the world, though. I'm told they were popular in humid countries as VHS tapes tend to fail in high humidity.
      Yeah they really took off elsewhere. Bit too pricey here though, I remember seeing titles going for £20 in the 90s. Even in 2006 they still took up a huge amount of retail space when I visited Hong Kong and I did end up purchasing quite a few in the early 2000s from a shop in Manchester's china town just because they were so cheap by then.

I always wanted the VCD add-on for the PSX. I tried calling a supplier out of the back of a magazine once, not realising it was a wholesaler. Not sure if I could just have purchased the one unit, I hung up in embarrassment heh.
      Last edited by Cepp; 03-12-2019, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post

NES > PS1
        Mega Drive > PS1
        SNES > PS1
        N64 > PS1
        Saturn > PS1
        PS2 > PS1
        GC > PS1
        DC > PS1
        PS3 > PS1
        360 > PS1
        WiiU > PS1
        NS > PS1
        PS4 > PS1
        XBO > PS1
        Bloody hell... there's something about the PS1 that really made you feel a deep negativity towards it.

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        Neo geo. Lusted after one for ages, got one, realised I don’t really like fighting games or shooters lol.
        Doh!

Originally posted by S3M View Post
        I'll go with the N64 as it's just a terrible piece of hardware
        Do you mean the video quality and controller are bad quality? I would agree about the video output being poor -- even with RGB. I like the controller, even if I can sort of appreciate why some people don't like it.

The N64 did a great job of running Mario 64, so I think that's what Nintendo were focused on. The hardware did manage to run some other good games across a range of genres. But there was definitely something strange about the hardware that always made games feel like they were struggling to run well -- and the vaseline-O-vision didn't help.

I'm still fond of the N64 though. But there are only around 20 games that I'd be happy to play. And only a handful that I go back to regularly.

Comment

I have a few I'm not a fan of. I borrowed my mate's Colecovision in the late 80s and it had an Atari converter and I'd never had an Atari before and it made me never want to own one, ever. Though I found the games extremely smooth and the retro atmos intoxicating.

Then onto the Mega-CD2. Very cheap, tacky bit of kit, got it from Rumbelows dirt-cheap when it was closing down. Quite a barren selection of games I truly wanted, still had limited MD colour palette so FMV on games like Sherlock Holmes looked pap. Only had it a few months before it broke. On the same day I'd bought SNATCHER from Dixons for £19.99. Absolutely gutted Terrible build quality, bad memories of it, rubbish.

CD32 mainly because it was never gonna catch on and had a terrible controller. I actually thought the main machine felt quite chunky, mind.

Lastly...the N64. Too few great, beautiful games like Mario 64, too many brown, meh ones like Earthworm Jim 3D. A Mini of it would be great as it could potentially contain all the brilliant games for it whilst separating out the acres of chaff.

Comment

The launch Gameboy Advance. This was early internet days (for me anyway) so I got it home expecting, y'know, a screen you could actually see. Mega disappointing experience (this was YEARS after the GameGear ffs). To add insult to injury I paid good money to get an after burner lighting kit fitted and that made it look utterly awful ... might as well have taped it to a fluorescent strip light.

Comment

Haha I remember the Afterburner - I really wanted one! In retrospect I can imagine how crappy and washed out that must have made it look.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                The launch Gameboy Advance. This was early internet days (for me anyway) so I got it home expecting, y'know, a screen you could actually see. Mega disappointing experience (this was YEARS after the GameGear ffs). To add insult to injury I paid good money to get an after burner lighting kit fitted and that made it look utterly awful ... might as well have taped it to a fluorescent strip light.
                Yeah, that's not a bad call at all. It was definitely a big shock to find how difficult it was to see anything on the original GBA. I also went the after burner route and it was washed out and uneven, although at least I could see it! I adored the games the GBA and getting a launch import one was exciting so I had kind of forgotten about the screen issue until your post.

Comment

I was absolutely stunned by the launch GBA but why did they do that???

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                    Though I found the games extremely smooth and the retro atmos intoxicating.
                    I can easily agree that Atari 2600 games are really simplistic, so you wouldn't really want to play them for more than 20 minutes, but I also find the really abstract vibe quite intoxicating.

still had limited MD colour palette so FMV on games like Sherlock Holmes looked pap.
                    I remember thinking FMV on the MCD was truly disgusting.

A Mini of it would be great as it could potentially contain all the brilliant games for it whilst separating out the acres of chaff.
                    There are around 21 N64 games owned by Nintendo that are pretty good, so the company wouldn't have to worry about third-party titles. I hope a N64 Mini is announced next year.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 03-12-2019, 17:29.

Comment

Gamecube for me, bought one and three months later was on fleabay, bought an Xbox and never looked back.

Should never have bought it, only games I liked were Soul Calbur 2 and Pikmin. The former I re-bought on the XB.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                        More Silkworm helicopter mid boss style.
                        Haha crease up reference but 100% accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          The Atari VCS was incredibly crude and any extended play showed how basic the games were.
                          Empire Strikes Back was just shooting endless AT-ATs, Smurfs only had a few levels and 147 slight variations of Pong.
                          On the other hand, it's crazy what they got out of those games and just how fun and addictive some of them can be even now.

Demon Attack is intense!

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                            I'll go with the N64 as it's just a terrible piece of hardware, in every area. Great games on the system, but terrible hardware. Buying the games on WII U Virtual Console is a better way to play them now.
                            On the contrary, the Virtual Console is among the worst ways to play N64 games. If graphical fidelity is your chief concern, then RGB via an upscaler, on an original NTSC machine, is the starting baseline. For the connoisseur, an HDMI mod.

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            The N64 did a great job of running Mario 64, so I think that's what Nintendo were focused on. The hardware did manage to run some other good games across a range of genres. But there was definitely something strange about the hardware that always made games feel like they were struggling to run well -- and the vaseline-O-vision didn't help.
                            In 2019 those tired clichés no longer hold water - things have long since moved on. Clever folks have even managed to work out how to disable the system's anti-aliasing, and there's a slew of control pad options on the homebrew market. My 1997 Nintendo 64 looks glorious via Framemeister, and with a SteelStick64 mod (admittedly these are expensive and hard to come by) I have a dream-worthy re-imagined controller too.

Comment

FIGHT!!!

Comment

The one I got the least enjoyment from was the Game Gear. Screen and graphics were sub par even for then.

Comment

Working...
                                X