• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair play, I needed that

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
      I can imagine what Hank Franklinson would say right now:

"Hey Jo! I hear you lost your seat...why dont'cha come here and sit on my lap?"
      Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
      She's utterly lovely. How many hearts were torn in two when she married? Imagine getting to spend the rest of your life exclusively with her as your companion.

I’m picturing you joining the Lib Dems, getting to know Jo, asking her out, getting rejected, and then having your brother go to all future Lib Dem meetings in your place

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        Corbyn has been rubbish but he didn’t lose it. If the polls are to be believed, people showed up in huge numbers to vote Tory. Not anyone else. Tory.
        Yes, but also Brexit. Swinson basically admitted that Farage destroyed her campaign because of their strategy. People pissed off that a: we aren't out of Europe which we as a country voted for or b: the politicians have been arguing about Brexit for the last three years or so instead of getting on with the job they should be doing.

What happened is that some of the labour votes went to Brexit who would never get a seat but those two or three thousand votes not going to labour meant conservatives with a similar number of votes as last time now won.

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
        My area's turned blue, cons won by a few hundred votes. This was a working class labour stronghold previously.
        Same here, never been labour as long as I can remember. Same as Leigh, woman being interviewed on Leigh Market today, who comes from a long line of miners voted conservative because she wanted Brexit done and doesn't like Corbyn.

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
        I can't think of anyone they have suitable. Before Corbyn appeared, they would have been better with a Hilary Benn type.
        I agree, Brexit aside whoever I vote for and whoever gets in I support them and want them to do a good job but...I also want a good opposition to keep them in check which we now do not have.
        Corbyn is a protester and no use at all as a leader of the country or the opposition, I would prefer someone like Andy Burnham - I know some on here don't like him but each to their own. Looking at the potential candidates they all seem to be Corbyn clones.

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        Greens got 800,000 and SNP only got 1.5x that. But greens got one seat and SNP got 48
        This is interesting and something Farage mentions about his mob in one of the previous elections, he got votes in the millions I believe but overall just one seat.
        Under a different voting system he goes on to say that whilst he would have agreed with the conservative austerity policies he wouldn't have let them get away with the cuts as deep as they went because he had the numbers of seats to do it - goes back to my point above about a strong opposition.

Jo Swinson lost her seat? That's about it. You could move to Scotland since they're gearing up for a second indy vote.
        Yep I'm not keen on her at all, didn't like the way she (and one of the LD being interviewed on the BBC last night just after the exit poll release) basically having a pop at the electorate for not voting for them.

McDonnell around the same time was very polite and honest in his answers, saying that they got it wrong, have to listen to the people etc which we generally hear from the big two when they lose.

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
        Willowdapeeple!

#wank
        Something I've thought about and I could be wrong with my timings but, if Corbyn got behind the conservatives to push through 'Willowdapeeple' AKA Brexit we would now be out. The country may well be in the mire, the 2017 election would not have happened and instead we probably would have had one May this year, in which case there would have probably been a landslide in the other direction no?

Comment

Shoulda. Coulda. Woulda. But with Corbyn as leader it would still have been difficult.

Comment

The GE result is already delivering wealth to our nation!

The countries 16 billionaires saw their collective wealth increase by £2.1bn simply by the result being read out. One rich European family bought a £65m London house today simply because of the result as open season for foreign buyers reopens again.

Well done working classes!

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              https://www.theguardian.com/business...hnsons-victory

The GE result is already delivering wealth to our nation!

The countries 16 billionaires saw their collective wealth increase by £2.1bn simply by the result being read out. One rich European family bought a £65m London house today simply because of the result as open season for foreign buyers reopens again.

Well done working classes!
              The problem is that people in Redcar for example are both geographically and financially so far away from London that trying to explain this would be like trying to teach a dog a magic trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                The problem is that people in Redcar for example are both geographically and financially so far away from London that trying to explain this would be like trying to teach a dog a magic trick.
                Exactly. So explain to me again why we're allowing uneducated morons to decide the fate of the nation by allowing them to vote?

Comment

Cos democracism.

(I'll shut up now)

Comment

Personally I never saw the problem with Corbyn. He belonged to a different age I guess. There’s no room for principle anymore. The political landscape is awash with liars and conmen. Corbyn was a fanny on so many issues, but the vilification and double-standards of the billionaire press really have done him up like a kipper. All the demonisation of him has truly brainwashed so many of the people whose lives he actually had a vested interest in. They’re too busy talking nonsense about terrorist sympathy, poppies and raincoats.

I wasn’t surprised to hear the idiot secretary at work say he was dangerous. Dangerous? Really? More dangerous than a lying ****rag who slashes and burns all the things you rely on, day in, day out? More dangerous than the press who lie and smear to protect their own interests? More dangerous than the mega corps who place profit before people? Yet she’ll be the first to whine when she’s suffering a fallout of the cuts.

Many of the manifesto ideas I absolutely stand behind. This Tory government and the lurch of the nation to the right will be the ruination of some many people. The cruel side of me says that they deserve it if they voted for them. But that doesn’t really help. So many people have shot themselves in the foot. Nine years of miserable failure from these clowns, and they want more? And why do they want more? Because they’ve been told not to like the other guy, and they want something done that’s going to take a decade to get done anyway. This was a chance for real change. It wasn’t radical change. It was putting things in alignment with other countries, or back to the way they were (but with lessons learnt). It was taking society out of the clutches of the parasites and into the a more accountable, service-orientated set-up. As more and more gets sold off for a quick buck, we are going to lose everything to the leeches, while crowing on about ‘taking back control’. The irony.

As for Labour, they maybe just need a new face behind similar policies. The public are largely behind nationalisation in polls. They need someone who isn’t tainted by press filth. Someone younger and passionate and able to challenge the atrocious record of these loathesome chancers. Once the Tories have arsed up trade deals and workers’ rights, someone who can really take them to task.

Angela Rayner is my preferred choice, with Kier Starmer second. It won’t take long for the press to portray her as a dropout council estate slapper, though.

Comment

Tory's already talking about social care insurance...

Comment

Tory's already talking about social care insurance...

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...-lbc-1-6425258
                        To be fair, reading that he's just giving a balanced opinion. He says it could be a general tax or insurance, but the money has to come from somewhere.

Comment

To be fair, reading that he's just giving a balanced opinion. He says it could be a general tax or insurance, but the money has to come from somewhere.
                          Social care is paid for by council budgets which have been cut time and time again by this government. It's a problem of their own making, just like the drop in nursing applications when they axed the nurse bursery and the increase in crime after police numbers were cut.

Comment

Social care is paid for by council budgets which have been cut time and time again by this government. It's a problem of their own making, just like the drop in nursing applications when they axed the nurse bursery and the increase in crime after police numbers were cut.
                            Oh I'm not defending them.

Comment

When they say the money has to come from somewhere, I want to know why it can’t come from where it used to come from before it became a problem. Same question on every other issue that wasn’t as big a problem years ago. What have governments done that knackered it? Go and undo it.

Comment

Oh I'm not defending them.
                                No worries mate, I'm just not willing to give him any benefit.

Comment

Working...
                                X