Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny, Johnson said the same thing in 2007: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...tish-ally.html

Comment

This is a massive distraction from Brexit which should be all anyone is working on right now.

Comment

What's left to work on? The negotiations have ended.

Comment

There are still a few more f**ks to throw into this cluster.
          Last edited by Zaki; 20-06-2019, 08:18.

Comment

Nick Cohen
            Talked to a Tory MP last night who was backing Johnson
            "Do you think he'd be any good as PM"
            "No"
            "What on earth will he do about Brexit"?
            "No one knows"
            "Why do you want him, then?"
            "He's the best hope we've got"
            "By 'we" you don't mean Britain do you?"
            "No the party, of course"

Comment

The worst thing? He's right.
              But it'll be the end of them if they don't get over this idea that they can constantly delude themselves about the EU or that they can do No Deal and not get slaughtered for it. The wisest thing would be to run a second ref and when people cry democracy levy all the blame at May's feet saying the ref is the only remotely democratic solution left, that then shifts the shoulder of responsibility back on the public.

Comment

And when the public call their bluff and vote leave again? Then what?

They need to ask the public the right question.

Comment

New PM Announced: 22nd July

Summer recess times announced starting Thursday 25th July and returning on Tuesday 3rd September.

Party conference recess (not yet announced) but last year: 13 September to 9 October

Brexit Date: 31st October 2019

Working Days available before default No Deal Brexit: 24 (assuming they sit every Friday which they usually don't)

Comment

This has turned into a general politics thread as well, really, which is fine.

Today's news is that Conservative MP Mark Field grabbed a female protester by the neck to eject her from the dinner he was attending.

Obviously, there are two sides to this. He's saying he acted to defend the room: "In the confusion many guests understandably felt threatened and when one protester rushed past me towards the top table I instinctively reacted. There was no security present and I was genuinely worried she might have been armed."

Some people are defending his actions and saying he was a hero.

Others are saying that if you watch the video, he's not heroically challenging armed terrorists, he's upset at having his dinner disrupted and instinctively grabs the woman by the neck in pure rage.

I found it interesting that one pro-Field commentator on Twitter said the Left are ready to criticise only those that attack people on their side, but there's plenty of people saying things like "Farage's milkshake attacker deserves to be labelled a criminal!" but also "OMG, she could have been armed and he saved the whole room from that no-good protester!"

It's OK though, because Mark Field is committed to make women feel safe...

Comment

Pff, that's a funny one. I don't think there's anything too bad about the neck grab, it's put across like he choked the woman when really he held the back of her like a bouncer would when ejecting a moron. But, the flip side is he clearly saw her coming and had a clear idea she wasn't an attendee so there's a conscious decision to be that forceful. I think he's over rough but that it's to a woman is irrelevant, there's nothing I can see to suggest a male activist wouldn't have received the same welcome from him. He's certainly no hero for it though either.

Comment

Best tweet I saw on this was: why did Mark Field not simply defeat the protestor in the Marketplace of Ideas?

Comment

I'm already tired of hearing about Boris's domestic. It's not a scandal, it isn't going to stop him being PM and it's blatantly being overplayed by opponents. This isn't the magic bullet to block his efforts and if anything shows how desperate the campaign against him is that they grasping at such a lame, damp story as him having an argument with his other half. Weak.

Comment

It'll have zero baring on the leadership vote, given the majority of the conservative party members are hardcore Brexit. They're not going to vote for Hunt even if Johnson eats a baby live on Question Time.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                              I'm already tired of hearing about Boris's domestic. It's not a scandal, it isn't going to stop him being PM and it's blatantly being overplayed by opponents. This isn't the magic bullet to block his efforts and if anything shows how desperate the campaign against him is that they grasping at such a lame, damp story as him having an argument with his other half. Weak.
                              I agree with this, even though I can't stand the Muggle-Wump.

Comment

It does show the character of our next Prime Minister, though.

My fave bit are the exclusive shots in The Daily Mail that show him making amends and still very much in love with his girlfriend which, rather than totally staged, made to look like a passing photographer caught the magic moment.
                                So it's not okay to invade his privacy (if a man wants to scream so much at a woman that a neighbour fears for her safety and calls the police, that's his right to do so undisturbed), but it's okay to make it look like you've invaded their privacy.

It reminds me of this:

"As far as I am concerned, that is the end of the matter..."

Comment

Working...
                                X