Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the timetable voted against and the Withdrawal Act motion paused, a GE is a now near certainty once an extension happens. Labour will have run out of excuses not to have one at that point. The most recent poll is from YouGov 21st Oct and gives Tories a 15 point lead over labour.

photo sharing
    Last edited by MartyG; 22-10-2019, 19:16.

Comment

I think this all giving me a headache now

I dunno if this is right be it feels like they are voting for something..before they can discuss it...before they can vote for another thing...before they can discuss another thing

Comment

Johnson's eventually going to get this over the line and sell it as a personal victory securing him and the Tories at least another 10 years in charge because Labour is so consistently inept and stuck in the endless rut of opposing anything tabled but never having the balls to commit to any particular alternative. At this point they're railroading themselves into their own demise and it's staggering that Corbyn is so blind to how far he is now from ever being in power and the party still lets him continue driving it into obscurity. They've missed too many opportunities now to do the right thing and are now simply driving voters to their rivals.

Comment

And a poll from Deltapoll on 21st shows the same story ...

Comment

Who knew you couldn't trust Johnson's word? He's now abandoning his 'dead in a ditch' claim for 31 October 2019 and is now instead putting a doomed bid together to get a GE for 12 December.

I was listening to LBC earlier and they were spitballing the scenario whereby Labour kicks the GE agreement back into January or finds a way beyond that. They were considering how poorly the party was doing and ruled out a turn in fortunes but said at this point it was worthy of consideration that delaying Brexit and a GE as long as possible, assuming they would be willing to form a coalition with another party, would be the best strategy.

In effect they talked of how Johnson can keep calling them cowards and frustrators of Brexit but the wager is that the public would actually get tired of Johnson and such claims very quickly once deadlines start to be missed. The impact then being that he would start to lose favour like May did and the Brexit Party would tear the Tory vote apart creating a level playing field in a GE where it became a race to a coaliton which Labour is better positioned to secure.

Comment

Anyone see that tweet where the Conservatives said that disabled people should be neutered?

They appear to have been using auto suggest. Nurtured.... Lolz

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                In effect they talked of how Johnson can keep calling them cowards and frustrators of Brexit but the wager is that the public would actually get tired of Johnson and such claims very quickly once deadlines start to be missed. The impact then being that he would start to lose favour like May did and the Brexit Party would tear the Tory vote apart creating a level playing field in a GE where it became a race to a coaliton which Labour is better positioned to secure.
                That sounds like an absolutely terrible strategy to me. People aren't seeing this as Johnson failing, they're seeing it as MPs stopping him.

Labour have already stated that they want an election once a delay to Brexit is secured - if they back out of that they will look like they're running scared. I suspect they will try to find another excuse because of how far behind in the polls they are, because the last thing we need is a big majority Tory government at the moment. That look won't do Labour any favours though.
                Last edited by MartyG; 25-10-2019, 05:51.

Comment

I assume it's mostly down to how few options Labour have. The 12 Dec call he's making is set to fail so it seems like there's a high risk of us entering the same pattern again in January, really a 3 month extension was stupid. It should have been much longer given securing a deal ends it at any time so all they're doing is creating a poor image every time

Comment

By the looks the Tories are going to wait for Labour to commit to a GE. Labour are going to wait for the EU to confirm an extension. The EU are going to wait to confirm an extension to see what the Tories do.

Bloody joke.

Comment

I try and see both sides of the argument, but I'm still yet to see a decent Leave one.
                      All you get is incorrect facts that have either been proven false ages ago, or time has shown them to be wrong.
                      Like bloody parrots: "It's undemocratic, leave means leave, squawk!"

Yet people are still defending Boris Johnson and all his shenanigans. Why are they still defending him?!

Sometimes I think people aren't seeing the same thing as me...

Last edited by QualityChimp; 25-10-2019, 10:22.

Comment

Surprisingly less scary than the actual Boris.

Comment

The only decent argument I've seen for leaving is that it's too exclusive. If you want to benefit from being in it, you need to meet certain criteria but countries that don't meet those could do with being in it for the benefits. Not sure how leaving helps though apart from sticking a middle finger up to the bloc. If anything, everyone should be in and we'd get on with not killing each other so much. Or being so suspicious of each other.

Comment

If Johnson continues to withhold his deal it looks like next week rebel MP's will try to take control of the agenda to table amendments.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                                The only decent argument I've seen for leaving is that it's too exclusive. If you want to benefit from being in it, you need to meet certain criteria but countries that don't meet those could do with being in it for the benefits. Not sure how leaving helps though apart from sticking a middle finger up to the bloc. If anything, everyone should be in and we'd get on with not killing each other so much. Or being so suspicious of each other.
                                That's not even a good one though; it's just an issue with the EU, of which there are loads.

Plenty of Remainers like myself have issues with how the EU works.

I'm not a fan of Cameron bit he actually put this very well - "You don't fix your marriage by getting a divorce,"

Comment

Working...
                                X