Retro|Spective 085: Space Harrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 085: Space Harrier

Prepare for the trippy space fantasy blast fest that was...

Mainline Entry 01 - Space Harrier
    Formats:
    Multiple
    Now 34 years old, the original game was an early success story for the rail shooter genre, the player racing through multiple stages as they gunned down an array of fantasy creatures in brightly coloured stages. With eighteen stages, most featured a boss and the player would have to make full use of their ability to roam the span of the screen to target enemies whilst avoiding incoming fire. It was later ported in some form or another to over twenty home machines and remains an inspiration to several who later went on to join the industry.

Spin Off Entry 01 - Space Harrier 3D
    Formats:
    Master System
    This title was one of two follow ups to the original that came to home console instead. In this entry the player navigated 13 stages but with support for the consoles SegaScope 3D Glasses. It was later ported over to the 3DS by Sega's buddies at M2.

Mainline Entry 02 - Space Harrier II
    Formats:
    Mega Drive, Amstrad CPC 464, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum
    This outright sequel was a launch title for the Mega Drive that presented a similar form of action across 12 stages but without the originals scaling tech due to the hardware limitations of the 16 bit machine.

Mainline Entry 03 - Planet Harrier
    Formats:
    Arcade
    The third game came much later to arcades and offered 4 selectable characters to choose from. Typically it would be housed in a twin seated cabinet (though a standing solo unit existed) but otherwise was a modern update, gameplay being broadly the same. The dying days of arcades had set in though so the game didn't perform well and remains locked to those now old arcade units.

Remake Entry 01 - Space Harrier
    Formats:
    Playstation 2
    M2 produced a remake using 3D polygons for the PS2 Sega Ages based on the original game.

Share your thoughts and memories of Sega's often referred to but long dormant shooter series
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 09-04-2019, 08:42.

To this day I have still never encountered a Planet Harriers cabinet, which saddens me greatly.… at the time I hoped it would receive a Dreamcast port.

I know I’ve played the original hydraulic cabinet, I just can’t remember where exactly, maybe Sunny Hunny?

Comment

The only one I've played properly is the first arcade game. I like graphic style and how colourful it is, and the music is up to Sega's usual high standards!

I definitely would've liked to try Planet Harriers, and a Dreamcast version would've been great.

The polygon Sega Ages release wasn't made by M2 btw. They did the later PS2 Sega Ages release which was a collection of ports of all of the earlier games (much more M2's style!).

Comment

I've always loved the arcade version since first seeing the sit-down cab on Brighton pier. It really was incredible.

I asked for the Amstrad version for Xmas, which turned out to be OK, despite being far from as beautiful as the coin-op.

Then I got the Amiga version in 1989 and really liked how close to the arcade it is.

After that -- I thought the Saturn version was a dream come true. Finally an arcade perfect port.

It's such a shame that Planet Harriers didn't get released for the Dreamcast. I'd love to play it.
        Last edited by Leon Retro; 09-04-2019, 09:52.

Comment

This was the game that made me start to love SEGA. I never forget seeing the game in the High Tide Arcade for the 1st time. No other game looked like it or sounded like it, it was such a massive leap over all other games at that point. I see the whole of my 2 week hoiday in Porthcawl pracitally playing the full hydraulic cabinet version.

Then I couldn't belive it when looking for the Littlewoods catalogue I saw a SEGA console system along with games like Space Harrier and Wonderboy. I thought the Master System version was so good ( I love the extra story intro if you leave the title screen running) I also loved the 3D version too.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
            I saw a SEGA console system along with games like Space Harrier and Wonderboy. I thought the Master System version was so good
            I wish I had got my hands on the Master System version back in the day, as it would have seemed quite amazing back then. But after feeling OutRun was pretty bad, I didn't feel like asking for another £30 arcade port. It felt like a lot of money as a kid, so I was more focused on brand new games that had some mystique about them.

Does it look good in 3D?

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              I wish I had got my hands on the Master System version back in the day, as it would have seemed quite amazing back then. But after feeling OutRun was pretty bad, I didn't feel like asking for another £30 arcade port. It felt like a lot of money as a kid, so I was more focused on brand new games that had some mystique about them.

Does it look good in 3D?
              By the time of 87 I was already a SEGA nut after playing loads of Space Harrier, OutRun and After Burner II I began to notice and pick on the same yellow buttons, the same SEGA hologram and that classic SEGA logo. So when I had my Master System for Christmas I asked for and got it along with Space Harrier, Outrun, Wonderboy and AB II .

Space Harrier 3D is good and very well done, it's just very slow, the best 3D game on the MS was Zaxxon 3D that even now is amazing.

Comment

Hydraulic cab or go home.

Comment

Master System for Christmas I asked for and got it along with Space Harrier, Outrun, Wonderboy and AB II .
                  I wanted a Master System because of Hang-On. It also came with Astro Warrior, which is a nice little shooter.

The next MS game I really wanted was OutRun, but it disappointed me. I think I expected chunkier and more impressive graphics for a console game that cost £30. It's the game that turned me off the MS quite a bit.

the best 3D game on the MS was Zaxxon 3D that even now is amazing.
                  I also wish I had got to experience 3D games like that, but for some reason I wasn't interested. I don't think there was enough hype surrounding the 3D aspect of the MS.

I need to have a Master System session sometime soon, as I bought an Everdrive for my machine but haven't got around to using it yet. It's interesting how some MS games don't like 60Hz, probably because quite a few were designed for PAL-land. It really was a big thing in the UK.

Comment

I wanted a Master System because of Hang-On. .
                    I could never play Hang-On in the Arcades as I was too small to move the full-sized cabinet, much less even get on it. I was able to play the standing version, but that was latter. I also liked the Master system version too

I also wish I had got to experience 3D games like that, but for some reason, I wasn't interested. I don't think there was enough hype surrounding the 3D aspect of the MS
                    The 3D glasses always used be on display in Toys R Us when mum took me shopping and so one year I saved up my pocket money and bought them. The 3D effect was quite incredible at the time and they just looked so cool as well

Comment

I could never play Hang-On in the Arcades as I was too small to move the full-sized cabinet, much less even get on it. I was able to play the standing version, but that was latter. I also liked the Master system version too
                      I was too young(and probably small) to play the arcade version. Although, I think there was a Junior version for kids.

The bike game I remember playing a lot was Manx TT years later.

The 3D glasses always used be on display in Toys R Us when mum took me shopping and so one year I saved up my pocket money and bought them. The 3D effect was quite incredible at the time and they just looked so cool as well
                      The nearest Toys R Us was around 15 miles away, so we only visited a couple of times a year. I don't remember Woolworths showing off the 3D glasses; well not in in my local stores.

I really wish I had memories of using the 3D back then, as it sounds like it really was something special.

Comment

The nearest Toys R Us was around 15 miles away, so we only visited a couple of times a year. I don't remember Woolworths showing off the 3D glasses; well not in in my local stores.
                        I was born with an atrial septal defect as a baby, so was back and forth to the Heath hospital all the time (before I had the open heart surgery to sort it all out, aged 11) So has a treat my mum would always take me to Toys R Us in Cardiff and buy me a Master system game and then take me to Boots where I would also get a ZX Spectrum game on the cheap too .
                        Last edited by Team Andromeda; 09-04-2019, 16:03.

Comment

I was born with an atrial septal defect and as a kid,
                          My best friend back in the day had been born with a hole in his heart, so he also had to visit the hospital now and then. He was also obsessed with gaming like we are.

and then take me to Boots where I would also get a ZX Spectrum game on the cheap too .
                          I used to prefer Boots over WHSmith because they had demo units that I used to mess about with. Remember the Nintendo units with a timer?

Comment

They had one of those M82 NES demo units in my local Boots too.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                              They had one of those M82 NES demo units in my local Boots too.

Complete with timer.

Comment

Working...
                              X