This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by escobarrr View Post
    We do not yet know if the year 2019 will be the year of announcement and / or release of the PS5, but one thing is certain: Sony is activating internally for the launch of its next home console
    I think the Wired article confirmed we won’t see the PS5 this year.

Comment

Never doubt my thread making skills!

System sounds decent but it'll be 4K30fps, no ifs and no buts
      It sounds like they know the XBX and PS4 Pro weren't commercial hits yet need superceding as well so have aimed to deliver a system with a firm lifespan that will meet any future need whether it leads to streaming or PS6

Comment

I hope the large leap in CPU power will lead to more 60fps games but the extra render time at 30fps will always be attractive to developers and publishers. It’s easier to sell a pretty looking game than a less impressive smooth game.

Comment

I take the 8K to be more about future proofing the system and probably being a standard in AMD's Navi architecture. So the system will be able to support streaming services or apps that make the jump up. They probably have a good idea of where panel makers are going too.

Intrigued by the new AMD 3D audio although the PS4 always had a big advantage on the Xbox One in allowing the use of native USB DAC/AMPs and Microphones. Basically opens up a world of quality PC audio solutions. I hope this continues but also Microsoft consider native USB audio device support too.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            If nothing else, I can catagorically confirm this often used chart from the internet is BS *kisses 4K TV*

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post

Intrigued by the new AMD 3D audio although the PS4 always had a big advantage on the Xbox One in allowing the use of native USB DAC/AMPs and Microphones. Basically opens up a world of quality PC audio solutions. I hope this continues but also Microsoft consider native USB audio device support too.
              The Shape audio hardware in the X1, once freed of Kinect duties, has proven to be very useful with stuff like Windows Sonic, binaural audio and Atmos for headphones. I would guess the PS5 will have a more advanced version of that to play with. I think something similar already exists in some AMD APUs.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                The Shape audio hardware in the X1, once freed of Kinect duties, has proven to be very useful with stuff like Windows Sonic, binaural audio and Atmos for headphones. I would guess the PS5 will have a more advanced version of that to play with. I think something similar already exists in some AMD APUs.
                But Dolby Atmos (or Windows Sonic) are just software solutions for Xbox One or PC. Sony also have their virtualisation software already with PS4 but have locked it to their wireless Official Sony PlayStation headsets.

I can only feed optical out from my XBO into my AMP/DAC and I am reliant on buying a proprietary device for wireless voice comms (i.e. Astro TR MixAmp) or use a 3.5mm cable into the controller. On the other hand the PS4 can use pretty much any combination you can think of, just like a PC, as well as supporting wireless options like the Creative SoundBlaster X7 into BT-W2 Bluetooth aptX adaptor. You don't have to buy proprietary audio solutions.

I've used Atmos, Sonic, Dolby Digital and SBX with my various DAC/AMPs and whether using software or hardware having a system that is as open as possible is a good thing. In this sense I prefer the Sony approach of allowing any audio devices to be used.
                Last edited by Digfox; 16-04-2019, 22:04.

Comment

I believe the positional audio on Xbox largely runs on the Shape portion of the APU so doesn’t have much of impact on the CPU or GPU. PS4 needs to devote GPU compute resources to do similar positional audio.

Both MS and Sony are getting their APUs from AMDs semi custom division so have access to the same blocks for things like audio so hopefully they both go all in. Between developer requests and the data they will have from this generation of users they’ll know where people’s priorities lie.

I agree the custom peripheral route MS took this generation was annoying but they are a for profit company so it’s not surprising.
                  Last edited by CMcK; 16-04-2019, 22:31.

Comment

I agree the custom peripheral route MS took this generation was annoying but they are a for profit company so it’s not surprising
                    And Sony aren't?

And yes they basically have the same audio hardware but MS choose to licence peripherals. Like I said it would be brilliant if both machines this time opened up audio solutions.

Comment

What is the advantage of using a separate DAC on PS4/XBO? I just feed HDMI directly into my amp, could I be getting better audio than I am? NB I don’t use headphones or headsets.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        What is the advantage of using a separate DAC on PS4/XBO? I just feed HDMI directly into my amp, could I be getting better audio than I am? NB I don’t use headphones or headsets.
                        I don't think so if you're just outputting audio into your AVR/AMP & Speakers.

For headphones on a console/PC it can potentially dramatically improve audio output. For example allowing you to drive more powerful headphones, process Dolby Digital output or add virtualisation like SBX. As a headphone user (PC & Consoles) I'd argue a separate DAC/AMP (or good quality Sound Card on PC) are great things to have but obviously there is an element of subjectivity in this.

USB audio devices support on PS4 just means you can use all of your audio equipment with no issues, where as may have to make compromises for the Xbox One. It's just a pain.

Comment

[*]8 GB in form of 2 * 4-Hi stacks HBM2
                          I read this on Wiki about HBM2: 'HBM2 is predicted to be especially useful for performance-sensitive consumer applications such as virtual reality.'

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            If nothing else, I can catagorically confirm this often used chart from the internet is BS *kisses 4K TV*
                            I'd say it's about right. At 2'6" approx, with my glasses on I can appreciate the 4k of my 40" screen. If I take my specs off I have to about 5' away in order to focus on the screen and at that point it definitely loses resolution and feels like it may as well be 1080p.

Comment

I find the difference from 4K > 1080p easy to tell at pretty much any distance, it's one of those things that going backwards is always grating. They're definitely reaching a roof point though where bumping up resolution support will become meaningless

Comment

I think for the vast majority of people, having HDR and Ray Tracing on games is going to be the big step up. Yes it will look better on a 4K screen, but having those elements even on 1080p will look lovely.
                                I'm sure I read somewhere that Polyphony Digital was testing software based ray tracing in GT Sport. It makes wonder if the BC PS4 games will have some kind of RT added in by the PS5 on the fly.

Comment

Working...
                                X