This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by escobarrr View Post
    We do not yet know if the year 2019 will be the year of announcement and / or release of the PS5, but one thing is certain: Sony is activating internally for the launch of its next home console
    We know 2019 it will not be released as Cerny says in the Wired article we will not see PS5 in 2019.

Comment

It'll be September-November 2020
      Hard Lock

Comment

I do find it odd that Cerny has said so much about the PS5. Its like showing a card in Poker. We know that MS are working on a console too, but i'm surprised Sony have given details at this point. For all we know MS might not have Ray Tracing (for example) but will sure as hell will be pushing for it now. Also stating that it not releasing this year really gears up the competition for next year. Sony could have had the drop on MS and released early (if it was ready).

Comment

I assume they expected MS to showcase something at E3 so this is a pre-emptive strike. This is just enough information that now anything MS reveals for Xbox 4 will be dialled down from Hype to Meh as it's unlikely they will have anything that different planned. Presumably Sony is confident that MS has nothing hardware defining planned for XB4 and also aren't on course to beat them to market either so all they have to do is keep pace with MS and next-gen becomes another slam dunk win for them (presumably also why MS is looking to climb into Nintendo's bed also)

Comment

Lots of possibilities here though e.g. say not releasing this year and then release this year. Also we're expecting MS to embrace streaming etc. so Sony come out right now and say they're making a bit of a powerhouse and it'll play discs. They were accused last gen of reacting to MS's no game lending fiasco so maybe decided to come out early this time and also they're not at E3 so maybe wanted to get out early rather than be seen as reacting. I dunno!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              Lots of possibilities here though e.g. say not releasing this year and then release this year.
              That would be funny. MS say at E3 that the next xbox is coming 2020, then Sony say PS5 is out in November.

Comment

That's why I don't see Sony releasing before late next year, history has shown that console releases being dragged forward simply to beat rivals to market rarely works and Sony has all the leverage.

Say Microsoft launched Xbox 4 within the next 12 months: They'd likely miss Christmas in any eventuality and even then they'd immediately p*** off their XBX userbase that's still quite new for the most part. They are also very far from being ready from a software perspective, an early XB4 launch would likely rely almost entirely on cross gen titles giving little reason for people to adopt the system in great numbers (as XBX proved) whilst putting the final nail in the XBO's coffin before MS is able to get Game Pass etc on enough non-XB systems as they hope to.

Sony: Then has an open field to react to a weak XB4 launch. Rushing PS5 to market before second half of 2020 means they put their system in the same position, killing PS4 sales and making PS5 reliant hardly any software at all. PS4 still has The Last of Us Part II late this year, Ghosts of Tsushima early next year and Death Stranding to follow at the least as tentpoles. PS5 can do cross-gen but they lose the bulk of their worth when the hardware is already backwards compatible making cross gen versions somewhat redundant. Instead they would launch Sept-Nov next year with an opening salvo of the years biggest releases that have had enough time to be properly programmed to take advantage of the system plus the line up they would reveal at E3 2020, effectively recreating the PS4 launches impact.

Comment

I really struggle to see how MS are going to get 90+ million PS4 owners to jump ship to the XB4.

In order to keep the price competitive, the hardware is going to be more or less the same as the PS5, so power isn't going to play a big factor.
                  MS will say its BC with all XBO games, but honestly what exclusive games are there? All 3rd party games you can already play on the PS5 BC...plus 90million people already own a swath of PS4 games anyway.
                  Other 3rd party games will be available on the PS5 already.
                  MS could say that existing VR headsets work on it but its not a massive selling point, and you are unlikely to buy the XB4 and a Vive headset.

Either MS release a console that is vastly more powerful and makes the PS5 look silly, or they show a raft of Exclusive games people want to play (which based on this gen doesn't look likely).
                  I really want MS to come out of the gates fighting, it's good for customers, but I can't see what they can offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                    I really struggle to see how MS are going to get 90+ million PS4 owners to jump ship to the XB4.

They wont, ever. MS is really now out of the console race.

Comment

As Microsoft have proven with the X , having the most powerful console out there means very little if you don’t have the software to back it up

Comment

With MS I can only assume that all the chatter about getting Game Pass on every device possible and streaming is their silent admittance that they don't believe their is a future for Xbox consoles. There's not really much reason for the Xbox 4 to sell better, potentially even as well, as Xbox One has and then it just becomes an unnecessary burden making them. As soon as they stop making a physical console they are for all intent purposes a third party publisher like EA etc, I definitely get the vibe this generation marks the finale for Microsoft as a first party

Comment

Originally posted by Junko View Post
                          As Microsoft have proven with the X , having the most powerful console out there means very little if you don’t have the software to back it up
                          Which i have been saying for years. MS could eek out more sales with actual exclusives. There’s a few games that COULD of swayed me into a console purchase that I play all the time, but they came out on pc as well and cheaper, so I obviously just got that version.

That then leads to no console sale and no other possible games sales on that console that I probably would of bought.

MS seem to be MASSIVELY missing this point.

Comment

8K is surely end of life or only supported on some games. Give me 4K60 standard option on all games even if it means losing some graphical niceties... Also give me cross play on all non exclusive titles.

That graph is BS but I get the general thing it portrays. It's still different for everyone and it's missing the overlay of my own eyesight getting worse over time.

Comment

One thing I do hope that makes it into the ps5 is freesync. Sony did discuss it apparently with AMD for PS4 but it wasn’t ready in time. I’m hoping it will make it into ps5 given now it’s matured and not going away.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                                One thing I do hope that makes it into the ps5 is freesync. Sony did discuss it apparently with AMD for PS4 but it wasn’t ready in time. I’m hoping it will make it into ps5 given now it’s matured and not going away.
                                Yes, I think that's likely, since the HDMI 2.1 spec that's beginning to appear in TVs this year has explicit support for VRR (variable refresh rate, the generic name for technologies like Freesync/Gsync). It would be surprising if PS5 and XB4 didn't support that.

EDIT: can a mod merge these two threads?

Comment

Working...
                                X