Crap games you bought at launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crap games you bought at launch

What games have you bought with your shiny new console that, on hindsight, were rubbish but there wasn't much else to play?

For me:

Bomberman - Switch. Bought for when I wanted a break from Zelda.

Ridge Racers - 3DS. Nothing else I fancied. Dull compared to PSP games.

Wave Race Blue Storm - Game Cube. Thought this would be great as the N64 had been a classic, but it was utterly bland.

Turok 2 - Game Boy Color. What was I thinking?

A few that spring to mind, although I've generally bought some very good games with hardware or haven't always purchased systems at launch:
    • (same as above) Wave Race: Blue Storm (Gamecube) - not a bad game but devoid of character.
    • Killzone: Shadowfall (PS4) - came with my launch PS4 although I choose the bundle in part for Shadowfall. Generic shooter was generically bland.
    • G-Loc (Game Gear) - Traded my Game Boy in for the Game Gear very near launch and bought this as one of my games. Wasn't very good.
    • Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (Wii) - loved the Gamecube games (particularly the minigames) and this fell flat on every level in comparison.

There are also other games that don't quite fit the criteria of the OP; The 'pack in' tech demo (Total Eclipse, 3DO), Game that didn't port as well (Super Mario 64 DS) or games that I barely touched at launch even though they were classics (Zelda: Twilight Princess, Wii). EDIT: oh and Shadows of the Empire, N64 - was no where near as good as other launch games but I enjoyed it. At least enough to complete and replay certain levels.
    Last edited by Digfox; 01-12-2019, 12:53.

Comment

Perfect Dark Zero - What a big pile of ****!

Comment

I was OK on the Game Gear. I bought Castle of Illusion, which was great, and really looked the biz. It reassured me I'd done the right thing in forking out the hundred quid. But after that there wasn't much, so I bought dross like Super Monaco GP.

Comment

Trick Style on the Dreamcast is the one that sticks in my memory. Thing is, I quite enjoyed it. But it wasn't a great game at all and it was so very quickly obvious that the DC could do way better.

Comment

Augon no Kizuna on the Wii. Last game I bought before leaving Japan. Traded it in 2 days after buying it.

Comment

Tanks! Tanks! Tanks! on the Wii U. Raving Rabbids and Red Steel on the Wii. Steel Diver on the 3DS. Maybe not absolute stinkers but certaintly not good games either.

Comment

Only one I can think of was sonic adventure on Dreamcast when I got my import DC. Looked better than it played that’s for damn sure.

Comment

Fahrenheit, based purely off the demo. I don't usually get suckered in like that but they got me with that one. First and last game I purchased from Quantic Dreams.

Comment

THE KUNG FU on PCE. The massive sprites looked amazing in screenshots but I remember being shocked at how choppy and limited the animation was, even back in 1989.

Played it to death at the time and it's a simple fun game but it felt kinda like the PCE's equivalent of Altered Beast on the MD, a chunky, basic, early title.

Also had MICROCOSM on CD32. It had great graphics and a nice, big box but that's about all it had going for it.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                      Perfect Dark Zero - What a big pile of ****!
                      Yeah that’s exactly what I thought at the time too. Kameo wasn’t much better.

Also Motorstorm and Resistance on PS3. Turds.

Comment

Perfect Dark Zero was a terrible game!

I had Pinobee on GBA at launch. It wasn’t awful but it was insanely easy and short. I think I got it for its flashy graphics.

Comment

Its not necessarily a bad game but I bought Street Fighter X Tekken on release and kind of didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would (I don't think the systems gel together that well tbh).

I bought Dead or Alive 6 on release but would have waited had I know it would have gone down to £20-£25 a month after release. I'll be waiting the next time they bring a numbered DOA title out.

Comment

Disagree on rfom and motorstorm. They were both excellent games, especially for launch titles!

Shadow fall on PS4 though, garbage!

Comment

It's funny. When I think of all the consoles I've had over the years and the games I've bought with them there haven't been many stinkers. Some average stuff, sure, but not many absolute howlers.

Comment

Working...
                              X