Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever have that one thing that turns you off a game or kills hype for a game ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever have that one thing that turns you off a game or kills hype for a game ?

For me the two words "For Mobile" just kills my hype for a game.

But as far as mechanics go there was one Ring Of Red for Ps2, I was really really hoping for the aiming mechanic it was like the darts games of old where skill and timing would be needed......but nope it is purely based on the percentage chance to hit.

Another was Dino Crisis 3, now was a long time ago and it had a lots of problems but for me the Camera killed the game.

Also for fighting games Simplified inputs really put me off

Metroidvania for me. I'm not completely against that style but I wish more game would be simple sidescrollers without massive maps to explore.

Comment

Weapons or armour that wears out. Don't mind in side-scrolling fighters, but in modern massive open-world games I find it tiresome rather than fun.

Comment

With only a couple of exceptions, multiplayer. And with probably no exceptions, free to play. And any game that lists bags of gems/coins/whatever as part of their DLC is an instant no.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          With only a couple of exceptions, multiplayer. And with probably no exceptions, free to play. And any game that lists bags of gems/coins/whatever as part of their DLC is an instant no.
          Yep. I have no problem with games that feature multiplayer, but I'm not interested in anything that is strictly online multiplayer. I don't want to spend my time getting 1-shotted by some 14 year old American doosh.
          Mobile games don't interest me either. They are one step away from having the Ladbrokes app on my phone.

Comment

Multiplayer for me too , just not my thing really * other than splatoon

Comment

Multiplayer only does it for me too. I’m not antisocial just quite like some narrative in my games.

Comment

Season Pass.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Season Pass.
                  Yeah, I still haven't bought one, and have bought very few games which advertise them. It's only relatively recently I found out that this wasn't the older type of pass which came free with the game, that was purely to try and discourage trade-ins/second-hand purchases. (in retrospect I found that out quite a while ago now, but it was a fair while after most people realised it as I went WiiU > Switch > PS4 in terms of my upgrade path).

Comment

Rogue-lite. Immediate turn-off. Would love a normal platformer version of Dead Cells

Comment

Actually, come to think of it [MENTION=15230]Nico87[/MENTION] - something which turns me off some indie games now are the words "Metroidvania procedural roguelike", especially if "16-bit style" is in there too.

I just feel like I see another title like that every other day.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        Actually, come to think of it [MENTION=15230]Nico87[/MENTION] - something which turns me off some indie games now are the words "Metroidvania procedural roguelike", especially if "16-bit style" is in there too.

I just feel like I see another title like that every other day.
                        Yep, that "genre" makes no sense to me. They don't combine well at all.

Comment

Free to play. I don’t trust them. I’ve managed to avoid even seeing fortnight being played. That of course means basically no phone or iPad games for me either although I might get baldurs gate as I think that’s just a regular game.

Comment

Character customisation.

Basically means tons of needless loot that might translate into an item that's a tiny bit more useful. Or a skill tree which is a cheap alternative to proper structure and design.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                              Character customisation.
                              Oh yeah, you reminded me of another - Character customisation specifically when applied to 1-on-1 fighting games.

Basically everything from Soul Calibur III onward which did this. If it's just cosmetic, I dislike it purely because it tends to just be about dressing the characters up in loads of generic crap. If it affects gameplay, I worry the large number of options will make characters who are "broken", and these are usually banned for tournament play anyway.

Fighting game characters are supposed to be designed to an exacting degree, with a look, clothing etc. which makes them less of a human character and more of a design theme that is given human form. Even when characters have multiple outfits in a game, at least someone with an artist's eye has usually gone through those outfits and made sure they all look good.

However, and this is very much a personal tilt that I don't expect others to share - customisation, done well, requires a lot of work for the developer. Costumes, accessories, artwork, features... But as it's a feature I don't like, it's time I would prefer the developer used to put in more backgrounds, or create a few more curated outfits for fighters.

I generally don't buy games with features I don't like, and this is definitely one of them.

Basically means tons of needless loot that might translate into an item that's a tiny bit more useful. Or a skill tree which is a cheap alternative to proper structure and design.
                              Yeah, or badly designed/balanced. Case in point, I played The Force Unleashed and found it easy, and my friend played it and found it difficult. When we talked about it, we realised we'd taken completely different options on the skill tree, and mine was just better than his, with no real way to anticipate that would be the case (I just got lucky).

Comment

Working...
                              X