Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best budget handheld console for retro gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best budget handheld console for retro gaming?

Looking a BittBoy v2, but maybe there are better options?

Would possibly like to be able to play PSone just for Crash Bandicoot for my son, but not important. At the very least, 8-bit, 16-bit eras.

Originally posted by hudson View Post
    Looking a BittBoy v2, but maybe there are better options?

Would possibly like to be able to play PSone just for Crash Bandicoot for my son, but not important. At the very least, 8-bit, 16-bit eras.
    Great question I have been looking at the BittBoy V2 as well, but I would be interested in hearing views and advice. Oh and if it does MAME that would good to.

Comment

One thing that is slightly off-putting is the lack of shoulder buttons. Oh but it has vibration

Comment

The RS 97 looks good to me although I haven’t bought one. https://youtu.be/032j31YV718
        [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] would be the man to ask.

Comment

One thing that is slightly off-putting is the lack of shoulder buttons. Oh but it has vibration
          Yep same here especially as I would want up play Capcom CPS games on it and the fighters need 6 buttons. I have just watched Yakumo’s video on the updated RS97 and that’s persuaded me to pull the trigger, I’ll let you know what it’s like when it arrives.

Comment

I've done exactly as dyer60 too, so I'll give my tuppence too when it arrives.

Comment

Psp go has always been my go to. Pretty much handles all you want flawlessly and is cheap to pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                Psp go has always been my go to. Pretty much handles all you want flawlessly and is cheap to pick up.
                Which model do you recommend?

Comment

Which model do you recommend?
                  The PSP GO has a really neat design, but it feels quite cheap. The build quality is pretty bad with creaky plastic. It's also not as comfortable to hold compared to the original design -- especially if you have average to large size hands.

I much prefer my PSP-3000. It has a really nice, clear screen. The colours are also really rich. Some people notice a bit of 'interlacing' now and then, but I don't notice it much. It's a nice upgrade over the 2000.

Comment

I’d say 3000 too. Are PSP really competitive with budget SoCs these days though?

Comment

What's the limitation of the PSP's emulation powers?

Comment

PSP go is great. Prefer it to all the others which I think are too bulky for the screen size offered. Plus I really like the clicky d pad in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          PSP go is great. Prefer it to all the others which I think are too bulky for the screen size offered. Plus I really like the clicky d pad in there.
                          I love the look of it, and it does have a great d-pad, plus the slide-out idea was cool... But for some reason, my hands used to cramp up when playing it, which never happened with the regular PSPs or the PSVita. Not sure why.

From a design perspective though, I always thought it was a bit flawed. The slide-out thing looks cool, but it hides the controls, which aren't particularly fragile. The screen should've been concealed by the sliding mechanism. In a sense, the Xperia Play worked better because that was a touchscreen device.

Comment

RS-97 Plus arrived today from China. First impressions: pretty good.

The screen is very nice: sharp and colourful. I don't like/get the analogue thingy they've added, but I never expected I would care about it anyway. Buttons and D-pad is very nice, the shoulder triggers aren't brilliant (they kind of catch the tips of your fingers as you press them down) but otherwise are fine and have a nice bit of give on them.

Emulation is hit-and-miss depending on the system. There are minor speed issues with some 16-bit era games, and 3D games struggle/are unplayable. Metal Slug on the Neo Geo runs reasonably nicely, whereas Super Mario Bros. on the Famicom doesn't (eh?). Graphic tearing and blurring on some systems is clear and apparent, but others look fairly decent. The sound (particularly SFX) is hit the hardest, but again, some systems suffer more (GBA=bad) than others (Master System=good).

I haven't tested all systems in detail, but from what I have seen so far, I'd say in general you're getting an across the board average of:

Graphics: 8/10
                            Emulation: 7/10
                            Sound: 6/10

If anyone wants particular details, just let me know.

I'm not an expert when it comes to these kind of devices, or emulation for that matter (this is the first non-official system I've owned - I'm more of a real-hardware kinda fella). Considering the amount of games you get with it though, the cheap price, and the general no-nonsense approach it gives you (no idea if it can be modded?), I'd say the RS-97 Plus is an ideal gift for a casual gamer, or some throwaway entertainment with the sound off.
                            Last edited by Tetsuo; 17-05-2019, 17:55.

Comment

Brilliant!
                              Thanks [MENTION=2797]Tetsuo[/MENTION].

Comment

Working...
                              X