Revisiting PS2 - HDD Loader option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revisiting PS2 - HDD Loader option?

There are a few games I'd really like to play again, but a couple of factors are kind of in the way: scalper tax and multiple regions.

How easy is it to set up a system with HDBoot/MCBOOT? Does anyone here have such a set-up? Any advice?

You’ll need to someone with a modchip or similar to install FreeMCBoot. I’d offer but I don’t think an install on a debug will work for retail consoles, could be wrong though.

Once that’s done if you’re after using a HDD I’d recommend Open PS2 Loader (OPL), and if you just want to play DVD-R you can so by patching discs using the ESR utility before burning them. It’s all a bit of a faff really, personally I prefer a modchip or a debug.

Last edited by speedlolita; 01-05-2019, 10:48.

Comment

The proper written HD loader discs were the best method as you didn’t need modchips etc. Dunno if you can still get them?

Comment

Thanks for that guys. I'll look into it ... but if it takes much more than a simple plug-in I might start searching for one that's already set-up.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
          The proper written HD loader discs were the best method as you didn’t need modchips etc. Dunno if you can still get them?
          HD Loader is ancient, wouldn’t recommend it. FreeMCBoot is just a simple plug in once installed on the memory card btw.

Comment

I reckon you are at least ten years too late (at atticus)

I used HDL for years, never had any bother

Comment

I'm always the last to the party

Comment

At the OP: what you need, IIRC, is someone with FreeMcBoot already, who has the same region and largely same model of PS2 as you to create a FreeMcBoot card for you.

Comment

Cheers [MENTION=278]gunrock[/MENTION]

I just have a fat pal PS2. If anyone can help me set it up in any way (or advise on a better base system) please holler

Comment

Yeah HDD loader is great - I have used it since it came out.

Comment

[MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION]: my advice is go to the PS2 version info screen and post back here what model PS2 you have.

That will help find someone with the same PS2 as you. I'm no good, 'cos I have a japanese V0 model with pcmcia interface.

Comment

I'll set it up and take a look. Cheers

Comment

Model shouldn't matter, and I'm not entirely sure region does either these days.

Comment

Model used to matter as there are different kernel modules loaded for different models. Region also used to matter but since I did mine, things may have changed.

Comment

Working...
                            X