Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PAL PlayStation RGB: Do NTSC games run properly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
    or simply have the PAL crystal swapped to an NTSC one.
    I'd be happy with just an NTSC crystal. It would be great to not have to worry about PAL.

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
    You sure the A/D level isn’t too high on the FM?
    I reset the settings to default and it still has the same issues. But I will investigate further tomorrow.

I have found two mentions of this problem with the XRGB Mini though -- and they mention that it doesn't like the weird clock frequency. Maybe it's just a case of having to calibrate the XRGB.

I'm thinking of buying a PS1 Slim with the Csync mod. Maybe the XRGB will prefer a pure Csync signal.

If I was seeing the same problems with the OSSC, then I'd know for sure it's something to do with the console or Scart cable. But the image looks incredibly good on the OSSC.

I will also test my XRGB with some other consoles to make sure it's not broken.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 05-05-2019, 21:59.

Comment

If you have a cable with a sync stripper in it I don’t think the sync will be any different using sync generated inside the console, they’re both c-sync after all.

Comment

I updated the Framemeister's firmware to the latest version. It's virtually fixed the problem with the PS1. The brightness is just a little bit too high now, so I just lowered it a couple of notches and the black level looks perfect. The image looks really rich and crisp.

Obviously, the FM was designed primarily for NTSC machines. So it's best to opt for NTSC given a choice. It's a shame that the PS1 ideally needs an NTSC oscillator, but it's not a big issue. I was playing Gunner's Heaven and Harmful Park and didn't notice any problems.

I have no idea what the latest Firmware has done to improve things, but I'm glad it's made a big difference.

Comment

I decided to properly go through all the Framemeister's options and see what everything does. I know the basics but haven't fiddled around with everything.

I went into the 'HDMI' options and changed 'Deep_Colour' to 'Auto' and it completely fixed the brightness problem. Went from blacks being a bit too bright/grey to solid black, as it should be.
          Last edited by Leon Retro; 07-05-2019, 00:24.

Comment

Working...
          X