BPX038: The European Elect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BPX038: The European Elect

They weren't supposed to take place. We weren't even supposed to be part of the EU for them. However, in less than two weeks the European Elections take place and postal voting cards are being sent out.

Each party is setting their manifesto for the elections except for two, the Tories are instead trying to pretend they aren't happening whilst the Brexit Party isn't a genuine political party so has no policies.

The Remain camp are focusing on the elections as being a chance to showcase a changing tide but votes are split amongst parties as opposed to leave having a two way split. Labour continues to fence sit thanks to Corbyns support for leaving the EU and personal career ambitions leaving voters with the choice of not voting, showing party support or tactically voting.

Will you vote in the upcoming elections and if so how will you decide who to vote for?
    Conservatives
    0%
    Labour
    0%
    Liberal Democrats
    0%
    Greens
    0%
    Brexit Party
    0%
    UKIP
    0%
    Change UK
    0%
    SNP
    0%
    SDP
    0%
    UUP
    0%
    I will not be voting
    0%

Yes, and haven't decided yet, so can't vote in the poll
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I live in a pretty locked down Labour stronghold, it never veers from that so I imagine nothing will change there in terms of overall support but they're beyond supporting for me as they stand. Sadly it's the kind of place where its worst elements will definitely rally behind Brexit Party as well so for me this one seems like throwing a vote behind Lib Dems is the best bet tactically speaking

Comment

Tactical voting guide if you want to remain:

"EU elections are very different from voting in General or Local Elections

MEPs are elected via a specific proportional representation system, not first past the post, making it harder for smaller parties to win seats as every vote does not have equal weight. For example, a party that wins 30% of the votes, does not win 30% of the seats.

For these elections, your constituency is your region – e.g. North West, London, Scotland, South East. Each region elects a set number of MEPs according to their population so the North East of England which is a relatively small region by population, only elects 3 MEPs.

So if there are only 3 seats available, a party could potentially get 20% of the vote and no MEP. But in the South East region, which has a much bigger population, it elects 10 MEPs, which means a party could win a seat there with 10% of the vote."

Basically:
        England - Liberal Democrats
        Scotland - SNP
        Wales - Plaid Cymru

Comment

Literally no idea.

Comment

Libdem as usual. Have never voted anything else.

Comment

SNP will get my vote. I want to send a remain message and my current MEP seems to have done a good job over the years. His weekly email update is well researched.

Comment

Support for the Conservatives at the European elections slumps to 11%, less than a third of what the Brexit party is polling

Exactly what happened last time with UKIP. Brexit Party will be the big winners in the EU elections sending the wrong message because the Tories can't take any other stance and Labour/Corbyn are unable to face facts that fence sitting isn't an option and neither is climbing in bed wit Theresa. The only way Labour walks out of a second results embarrassment is to grow a pair and side with Remain. Otherwise remain voters are too split to make an impact and the sole thing accomplished is Farage gets to claim MEP benefits for a bit longer before quitting his own party.

Comment

Working...
                X