Cart or box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
    To me, cart only is no different than running a rom on an everdrive. I buy games for the whole package. Its the box and manual which make the game special to me.
    Admittedly it's strange how now we have this gradiation, where at one end there's an original machine running on a contemporary CRT with the complete cart, box, manual, spine, then total emulation at the other end - and we can probably all peg ourselves onto that scale somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      Admittedly it's strange how now we have this gradiation, where at one end there's an original machine running on a contemporary CRT with the complete cart, box, manual, spine, then total emulation at the other end - and we can probably all peg ourselves onto that scale somewhere.
      It's weird isn't it?
      Theoretically I could just use my everdrive to play SNES and Mega Drive games but I never do. I love the feeling of plugging in a cart when I play a game and it's why I'll always choose physical cartridge over a ROM. That's why cartridges and everdrives feel completely different to me.

Comment

I went the cart route for a while. Got to around 45 carts and then wanted to start playing some more expensive titles to that point that buying my sd2snes wasn't any more expensive than buying three or four carts. I see what you're saying, and agree to an extent, but being able to freely explore the library is much more attractive than paying lump sums for certain carts. Looking at you Magical Pop'n.

Comment

I'll go cart only if there's a substantial difference in price and the cart is already expensive; I did that with Ninja Gaiden III.

I'll also do it if a game is really cheap. I might prefer CIB but I won't let it stop me from jumping on a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
            I don't personally agree that a cartridge is no different to an everdrive, but I do agree that it's nice to have the whole package. I wonder if you'd still feel that way if you were starting a collection from scratch in today's market.
            Yep, I'd still feel that way. I hate digital only downloads too. Even music, I go and buy the real media over digital download version everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
              It's weird isn't it?
              Theoretically I could just use my everdrive to play SNES and Mega Drive games but I never do. I love the feeling of plugging in a cart when I play a game and it's why I'll always choose physical cartridge over a ROM. That's why cartridges and everdrives feel completely different to me.
              Same here. Well, kind of. I own everdrives for quite a few systems but If I own the original game I do go and get it from the shelf to play on the hardware rather than the much easier effort of loading a rom.

Comment

I buy the odd game now and then for 8 & 16-bit machines, but I've moved on from that really. I have loads of cartridge-only SNES/SFC games. All my favourites, such as Axelay, F-Zero, Castlevania IV are boxed.

I sold a lot of games because they ended up being worth loads of dosh.

My main passion over the past 10 years or so, has been collecting hardware. Consoles are obviously getting older and finding them in great condition isn't so easy. The prices have also shot up. So I made sure to buy loads of machines when the condition and prices were good. I still buy the odd machine now and then, like the 'de-blur' N64 I bought a while back.

So, for me it's all about hardware. I'm happy to use Everdrives, HDDs, and ISOs. Using genuine hardware with the right controller is much nicer than emulation, because you can appreciate everything feels authentic. Owning games is only important if I'm really fond of a particular title or if I can't use roms or ISOs with the machine. I've been gradually collecting 360 games after finishing my small PS3 collection.
                Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-05-2019, 07:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  Yep, I'd still feel that way. I hate digital only downloads too. Even music, I go and buy the real media over digital download version everytime.
                  Fair enough. I too prefer physical. It's why I still buy vinyl and 4k films.

Comment

I've never been a big fan of cart only, it's either I own a very good/mint boxed copy or not at all, and just play via a flash cart.

I only have small mint boxed collections for my 4 fav systems - MD, SFC, Neo-Geo and N64.

Comment

Looking at getting a pristine US CIB Final Fantasy III at the end of the month - Bye Bye money.

I've just finished Terranigma and Soul Blazer for the first time Got a SNES RPG itch now.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                        Got a SNES RPG itch now.
                        It's gonna take more than a £3 tube of cream to cure that.

Comment

Hahaha

Comment

MegaDrive - box
                            SNES - cart

Simple economics.

Comment

If someone here had a cart only Neo Geo collection i'd have to permanently hide their posts.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                                MegaDrive - box
                                SNES - cart

Simple economics.
                                If SNES games came in Mega Drive style boxes, I'd be far poorer.

Actually, a Contra 3 or Axelay Mega Drive box would probably look stunning.

I only have all my favourite SNES/SFC games boxed because I got them quite cheap ages ago. Same with the N64.

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                                If someone here had a cart only Neo Geo collection i'd have to permanently hide their posts.
                                Yeah, you have to have the big boxes. But I'll probably only ever have a few.

Comment

Working...
                                X