Best cost effective Saturn video display on HDTV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best cost effective Saturn video display on HDTV

I recently got a nice Phoebe for my Saturn, but as I no longer have a CRT I am wondering what the best options would be for getting a decent picture on my 4K TV? I don't want to really have to pay Framemeister money.

I currently only have an S-video cable, but my tv doesn't support it. How is everyone else doing it? Do Japanese saturns support western scart, because if so I was thinking of one of those cheapo scart>hdmi scalers from Ebay?

Thanks in adance!

OSSC with a 3x upscale.

Cheap upscalers aren’t worth buying.

Yes a Japanese Saturn can utilise a Euro RGB cable.
    Last edited by speedlolita; 13-05-2019, 14:23.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation mate. Just been reading about the Elephas SCART to HDMI converter on retrogamingcables. Also, seems also a good choice until the component cables actually become available I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
        Thanks for the confirmation mate. Just been reading about the Elephas SCART to HDMI converter on retrogamingcables. Also, seems also a good choice until the component cables actually become available I guess?
        hope you like the image quality you used to get from an RF lead ;-)

Comment

That bad huh? Reviews seem reasonable as a stop gap. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-E...=SCART+to+HDMI

Comment

That bad huh? Reviews seem reasonable as a stop gap. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-E...=SCART+to+HDMI
            if a CRT is totally out of the question, I think speedys advice is the best - an OSSC with an RGB input from the Saturn

Comment

The OSSC is a brilliant device and really not all that much money for what it is. Is there a need for a stopgap solution really?

Comment

Agree with speedy, if you absolutely need a stopgap get a RetroTINK 2X + S-video

Comment

I was going to mention the OSSC but it's still a decent chunk out of your wallet. Definitely worth saving up for if you find the price a bit steep though.

Comment

Do Japanese saturns support western scart, because if so I was thinking of one of those cheapo scart>hdmi scalers from Ebay?
                    You have to use a Scart cable specifically wired for a Japanese machine. The same with a PAL Saturn.

I'd also recommend the OSSC. Its positive reputation is completely justified -- it really does a great job with all sorts of retro machines. It's £140 on Amazon, so quite a bit cheaper than it used to be.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-05-2019, 07:17.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It's a little more than I budgeted for but will go with either the Scart/OSSC or HD retrovision cable.

I did also come across this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RGB-SCART...AAAOSwADxb~3mQ

Made me wonder if Scart>Component would produce a reasonable picture? Certainly, a fraction of the cost although I guess it would lead to input lag and all sorts. Guess the only option is to pay out for something good. Cheers
                      Last edited by tokyochojin; 14-05-2019, 06:32.

Comment

Made me wonder if Scart>Component would produce a reasonable picture?
                        The only way you'll get a nice image from a retro console on an LCD screen is by using a scaler like the OSSC or Framemeister. You can't get a sharp clear image by simply using a Scart converter.

Of course, things that do convert Scart to Component or HDMI will deliver an image that will probably look OK to some eyes. It depends if you can tolerate blurriness and probably some image defects.

I think the OSSC is a brilliant device for a reasonable price.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-05-2019, 07:18.

Comment

+1 for the OSSC

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It's a little more than I budgeted for but will go with either the Scart/OSSC or HD retrovision cable.

I did also come across this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RGB-SCART...AAAOSwADxb~3mQ

Made me wonder if Scart>Component would produce a reasonable picture? Certainly, a fraction of the cost although I guess it would lead to input lag and all sorts. Guess the only option is to pay out for something good. Cheers
                            A lot of Americans I know use a device like this for plugging their consoles into component CRTs, but if you were to use that with your existing LCD you'd be at the mercy of the internal upscaler. It'd look better than composite, but still not great. Certainly not give you the sharp lines the OSSC would.
                            Last edited by speedlolita; 14-05-2019, 10:57.

Comment

The Kaico OSSC on Amazon comes with the multi-region PSU, remote and overlay(so you know what each button does) for £139.99. I think that's a great deal.

I think the creator did a deal with Kaico to also sell through them.

Comment

Working...
                              X