Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the best looking 3D Saturn game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Panzer Dragoon Saga and a very easy slam dunk, I can only imagine how hard the devs found cracking that nut to be

Comment

Yeah, Saga was incredibly pretty. Stunning game.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        It's Panzer Dragoon Saga and a very easy slam dunk
        I found the gfx in Grandia to be better myself and it's also one of the few 32-Bit games with not a hint of polygon glitching or folding (ok Panzer was more open world and so having to handle more) Scorcher is another stunning looking and sounding game, that never seems to get any credit

This game impressed the hell out of me back in the day too. Really stunning 3D gfx for a Saturn game

Mind you the Virtua Cop was something else too, it was more or less the Model 2 game in your Saturn and the remixed music was incredible

Comment

Grandia looks like nice but it's relatively simple which I think allows it to appear cleaner than Saga whereas Saga takes Zwei and dials it up, especially in context of when it came out.

Comment

[QUOTE=Superman Falls;2320174]Grandia looks like nice but it's relatively simple which I think allows it to appear cleaner than Saga whereas Saga takes Zwei and dials it up/QUOTE]

There's nothing really simple about Grandia 3D engine, its completely 3D (well bar the sprites) and the player can walk and move around in it. There is a massive amount of detail and superb texture mapping with no polygon folding or glitching and it really ramps it all up by the time one gets to the 2nd Disc. Panzer Saga is amazing for its open world style game and how everything is in 3D (incredible for the time) but it pays the price for that in places.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Saga, the game starts off with basic gfx and low res, but by the time one hits the Garil desert, the whole game takes off and the screen res seems to increase and the gfx just start to go off into a whole new level. Also, the sound is simply off the chart, with an epic music score all coming off the sound chip. For me the best sounding game of that generation

Comment

I can only assume that TA were forced to wrap things up a little ahead of when the game would have preferably been done by in order to get it out given how soon after the DC released. That entire final half dozen strong slate of releases for Saturn should have been launch period games for Dreamcast. Monumentally bad decision making from Sega.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                I can only assume that TA were forced to wrap things up a little ahead of when the game would have preferably been done by in order to get it out given how soon after the DC released.
                I would get that if it was the last 2 dics of the game being affected, but after the iffy early section the game just takes off. I would put it more down the beining of the game having to use more of the VDP1 to handle the game world, while for the destert and water sections the VDP2 could really come into play and flex its muscle. The more amazing part of the whole game to me was the lack of use of ADX to cut the sound data size and no use Truemotion to make the FMV window that much better, given it was such a late release, even Deep Fear made use of both middleware and that was a very late game too

Comment

I've always thought Sonic R is quite impressive. It has a few issues graphically, but overall it's a nice looking game. Makes me think that the developer[Traveller's Tales] could have really refined things for a Dreamcast sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post

I've always thought Sonic R is quite impressive. It has a few issues graphically, but overall it's a nice looking game. Makes me think that the developer[Traveller's Tales] could have really refined things for a Dreamcast sequel.
                    I so wish SEGA had Traveller's Tales make a early Saturn Sonic 3D game, rather than to have given it to those inept morons at SEGA Ameria and STI back in the mid '90s

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                      I so wish SEGA had Traveller's Tales make a early Saturn Sonic 3D game, rather than to have given it to those inept morons at SEGA Ameria and STI back in the mid '90s
                      We can't be sure if Traveller's could have created a convincing 3D Sonic game early on. I mean.. Sonic R came out in 1997, so the developer had time to get used to the machine and work out how to get the most out of it. And even then, Sonic R has glaring graphical issues that could have made a 3D Sonic experience quite horrible.

The huge problem with a potential 3D Sonic for the Saturn, is games like Mario 64, Croc etc... aren't fast-paced. But a Sonic game would have to be. I just don't think 32-bit console tech of the time could do the concept justice.

Sonic R just about works because it's focused on linear racing. Anything more ambitious would have probably been a huge mess.

I remember really liking Sonic R though, despite a feeling that it was a bit clunky.

Comment

Shenmue for the Saturn looks impressive from the available footage. It’d be interesting to see how far they got with Virtua Fighter 3 too. From what I remember there are apparently versions for both standard hardware and the Graphics Accelerator cart that was being developed.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                          It’d be interesting to see how far they got with Virtua Fighter 3 too.
                          I imagine it looking like Fighters Megamix, i.e. low-res, then with VF3 costumes and 2D versions of the backdrops.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            I imagine it looking like Fighters Megamix, i.e. low-res, then with VF3 costumes and 2D versions of the backdrops.
                            Yeah, I don't think they would have performed miracles with VF3. It might have pushed the machine to the limits -- but it wouldn't be comparable to the arcade version. That's not to say it wouldn't have been a good game.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              VF Megamix was in semi high res, complete with 3D backgrounds, for the ring areas. Plus the characters models were increased In size and you had the impressive compression programme to include all the moves from VF, VF 2, FV and some for VF3.

It was quite a feat on the Saturn IMO
                              Last edited by Team Andromeda; 16-05-2019, 08:02.

Comment

A lot of good games mentioned such as Dead Or Alive and Panzer Dragoon Zwei. Even some games live Savaki are mentioned but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Saturn version of Zero Divide. Full high resolution, 60fps and 3D areas.
                                Also, check out Shutokou Battle. It's a very solid and smooth racing game with big polygon models.

Comment

Working...
                                X