No announcement yet.

Let's Get Physical (Physical)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Rare Games' latest thing has touched a few nerves; physical-only games available once only, through them in a one month pre-order. Their justification seems to hang on the idea that the expected profits would allow the devs to explore and flesh out game ideas that they normally wouldn't be able to. The backlash is coming back thick and fast though, claiming that they're cashing in on folks' fear of missing out, that it's artificially creating demand and running up against the ideals of preservation.

Personal opinion: I am in the 'this sucks' camp. I like the approach of physical games as a long-life alternative, often shipped long after a digital release, but crucially when the games are proven quantities and are then made available with post-release tweaks and patches in a definitive version that can extend the game's life beyond that of a digital marketplace. I somewhat appreciate the idea of allowing devs to explore ideas they couldn't normally, but that should not be at the expense of artificially limiting the exposure it will ever get and executing a cash-grab by bleeding the 'must own everything' collectors dry.

.... and just as I was writing this, I've also just caught a comment explaining that Devolver and Special Reserve have signed a similar "never digital" deal with Demon Throttle. From a couple of companies I actually held in high regard, this one's even more disappointing.

Sigh.

Comment

Ah well. They will more than likely be shoite.

Comment

Eeeh...this is a bit too much. Small printing runs always sucked, at least with digital you get a chance to play the game. This is just abusing collectors.or even people simply interested in a game, they are no better than GPU scalpers.

Comment

Limited Run have got their E3 showcase tonight at 9pm UK time. It's not going to be hot off the press brand new titles that no-one's heard of before, but it's worth a watch if you're interested in what they do.

Comment

These should be quasi-shovelware grade games for their developers to consider physical-only limited releases as their best option of maximizing revenue.

Which is probably correct, except for the fact money-grabbing schemes such as this and surprise drops such as Poop Slinger and Tamashii will poison the well for everyone.

Comment

Super Rare have heard the feedback and are walking back a few of the details.

Promises of staggered releases via itch.io, increased order windows, and of what quality to expect of the titles.

edit: to clarify, I'm still mulling on a few of these details but generally feel like this has begun from a place of bad intent and even in trying to put out the fire is still not what I'm looking for from such a publisher.

Comment

I does feel very much like it's trying hard to get at completionist collectors who can't be without a release. I have no idea why else you'd not release these games digitally, even if they came out digitally after the physical release.

How close are these LRG type companies to jumping the shark at this point?

Comment

Full list of LRG's E3 announcements:

Limited Run Games today revealed 30 physical game announcements during their annual LRG3 livestream!

• Axiom Verge 2 (Switch, PS4, PS5)
                  • BloodRayne Betrayal: Fresh Bites (Switch, PS4)
                  • Castlevania Requiem: Symphony of the Night & Rondo of Blood (PS4)
                  • Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (Turbo Duo)
                  • Contra Anniversary Collection (Switch, PS4)
                  • DOUBLE DRAGON & Kunio-kun Retro Brawler Bundle (Switch)
                  • DUSK (Switch, PS4)
                  • Ghoul Patrol (Switch, PS4, SNES)
                  • Going Under (Switch, PS4)
                  • Haven (Switch, PS4, PS5)
                  • Huntdown: Collector's Edition (Switch, PS4)
                  • One Step From Eden (Switch, PS4)
                  • Plumbers Don't Wear Ties (Switch, PS4, PS5, PC)
                  • République: Anniversary Edition (Switch, PS4, PlayStation VR)
                  • RetroMania Wrestling (Switch, PS4)
                  • River City Girls (PS5)
                  • River City Girls Zero (Switch)
                  • River City Girls 2 (Switch, PS4, PS5)
                  • RWBY: Grimm Eclipse (Switch)
                  • Shantae (PS4, PS5)
                  • Shantae: Risky’s Revenge - Director's Cut (PS5)
                  • Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse (PS5)
                  • Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition (PS5)
                  • Shantae and the Seven Sirens (PS5)
                  • SkateBIRD (Switch)
                  • Strife (Switch)
                  • SUPERHOT (Switch, PS4)
                  • The TakeOver (Switch, PS4)
                  • Zombies Ate My Neighbors (Switch, PS4, SNES, Genesis)
                  FYI Huntdown is available right now - but only as a Collector's Edition. This is seemingly because they're working on a standard edition with another publisher, so perhaps worth holding on if you don't want the big box of extras.

Things are obviously going well with Konami: Contra Anniversary Collection, Castlevania Requiem, and Rondo of Blood! Another point to note on the latter is that as well as being licensed from a software POV and translated for the first time, they've also got approval to use branding given Konami are also license holders for TurboDuo:

Comment

TurboDuo? Why though?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      TurboDuo? Why though?
                      Because all consoles have to go by their American names. Pisses me off when some British or Euro YouTuber says Genesis. Dicks! Be proud of what you know it as. PC Engine all the way in this case as that's what the system was called IN Europe. Well, in France since that's the only place it got a release.

Comment

I suspect Dogg's comment is more "why release it for a system that's not been available for years?" rather than "why not call it PC Engine?"

It's the original hardware it released on, so no porting necessary on top of the translation, and although it's going to be pretty niche it's a good candidate for a re-release given second hand copies are not cheap to come by. On top of folks who already have PCE hardware, Analogue are due to release new hardware that'll give another option to play it, and if the Polymega ever ships then that'll be another avenue for that too.

Comment

A part of me feels that one or more of these Konami games collections will eventually hit high street stores for normal retail at some point, through another publisher…

But that Castlevania Symphony of the Night has me excited already…

Comment

I can't believe someone is bothering to re-release Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. It's terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                              I suspect Dogg's comment is more "why release it for a system that's not been available for years?" rather than "why not call it PC Engine?"

It's the original hardware it released on, so no porting necessary on top of the translation, and although it's going to be pretty niche it's a good candidate for a re-release given second hand copies are not cheap to come by. On top of folks who already have PCE hardware, Analogue are due to release new hardware that'll give another option to play it, and if the Polymega ever ships then that'll be another avenue for that too.
                              Lol, I know. Just had to rant a bit. It's been a crappy day at the office.

Comment

Things not looking great for folks holding on for Dispatch Games' release of Radirgy Swag - here's the company behind the game saying they're equally in the dark about what's (not) going on.

Last update from Dispatch was back in March, but set so that no-one could comment.

Comment

Working...
                                X