Let's Get Physical (Physical)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's Get Physical (Physical)

We all know digital distribution has its benefits, but even a cursory glance around the forums would suggest that there's people here who will be clutching physical media in their clammy hands until the last. Some companies, for better or worse, have acknowledged this, along with the clamour that comes from a reduced print run, and have carved out a niche market of taking what would otherwise be digital-only games, and giving them a physical pressing. Companies like...

Limited Run
    Special Reserve
    Super Rare
    Strictly Limited

... and so on.

I know some of you are already hot on this, so, let's try and help raise awareness of some of these. Also - what have you got ordered? What are you hoping gets a physical release? What have you missed and has plunged you into a pit of perpetual remorse?

(TLR - a bunch of y'all missed out on disc-based PS4 versions of Battle Garegga last week, and we don't want that to happen again)

I have a couple of the EastAsiaSoft releases from Play-Asia: Leap of Fate and GhoulBoy. They’re available on Steam, but not on PSN it would appear. Also got Oniken and Odallus on pre-order.

I’ve had the Korean release of Garegga for quite a while now…

Comment

I look forward to hearing about Garegga!

Comment

I don't buy physical or limited editions anymore, digital is the only way to go now.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
          I don't buy physical or limited editions anymore, digital is the only way to go now.

This debate is banned from this thread, by my (meaningless) decree.

Good thread title!

Comment

I also have Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon with the nifty trading card from Limited Run, still sealed. I got confused and thought it was the other one when I ordered it I have the digital version so I’ll probably sell this.

They did a physical copy of R-Type Dimensions EX too recently, but I got that from PSN for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
              They did a physical copy of R-Type Dimensions EX too recently, but I got that from PSN for cheap.
              That's Strictly Limited. A recent mail said the SEs are going to ship out soon with the LEs coming a couple of weeks later.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                I also have Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon with the nifty trading card from Limited Run, still sealed. I got confused and thought it was the other one when I ordered it I have the digital version so I’ll probably sell this.

Can I have first bids on this? I just want this since I work at 505 Games and I'd like to have the whole package when Bloodstained ships very soon

Comment

I have the standard version of Battle Garegga pre-ordered. The Collector's Edition looked nice, but I wasn't really interested enough to spend that much on it. I also plan to pick up the Japanese version of Ketsui. I don't buy many physical releases these days, but it's nice to own a few favourites. The same goes with buying music on vinyl.

Comment

Most exciting thing about the Battle Garegga release was this tweet from M2 themselves;

Tomorrow will be the day of Battle Garrega from @LimitedRunGames
                    If it goes well, perhaps Dangun Feveron will be physical too. (Please!)
                    Dangun getting a physical release would be great enough in itself, but if this continued to their other titles (Mahou Daisakusen, ESPRaDe!) that would be a really great result.

To answer the thread myself, I'm currently waiting on Celeste, ToeJam & Early, Bloodstained, Battle Garegga, Lumines Remastered, Minit, and The Messenger. I'm er... quite deep down this rabbit hole

Comment

Physical? What is this, 1990?
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I love the idea of these, and the execution generally looks very good. But I've yet to buy one as the gulf between the digital and physical price is always so great, I just can't justify it for a plastic box. Really cool that they exist though.

Comment

They cost that much because they are printed in a limited quantity and the publisher wants to turn in a profit of course. Luckily for them there are plenty of users willing to spend money on those games.

Comment

I'll add more on my thoughts about modern physical releases later but, in the meantime, Limited Run Games is putting their release of A-Train Express up for sale on the 22nd.

If I remember correctly, [MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION] is especially fond of physical releases of PSVR games.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                              They cost that much because they are printed in a limited quantity and the publisher wants to turn in a profit of course. Luckily for them there are plenty of users willing to spend money on those games.
                              Yeah of course, I understand that. Just for me personally, I tend to list after them but fail to justify a purchase to myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X